Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I really need help deciding my firm university. It's between Oxford and UCL - I know a lot of people will think it's a stupid decision to even be considering rejecting Oxford, but I absolutely love London as a place, and much prefer the course at UCL. I'd be applying for Human Sciences, and this is much more biological/sciencey at UCL, which is what I wanted, compared to Oxford which focuses more on the biological side.

My main reason for not choosing UCL is that I'm worried about the finance. I know you can get extra money from the university but I'd get a similar amount from Oxford in bursaries, and obviously the money would go much further in Oxford than London. I live 45 minutes from London but really don't want to have to live and home or commute in.

Can anyone please give me a realistic idea of how much it costs per year to live in London, and the standards of the affordable university accommodation? Plus any extra information about the university itself/life in London would be useful thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Go where you think you'd be happiest I believe that if you go to a London uni then the amount you can get in maintenance grants/loans is higher as the cost of living is higher

ReputationRep:
    It is true that the amount you can get in loans is higher, but I've heard horror stories about the cost of living in London that makes me think that even with an extra £1-2k I won't really be able to afford it. I don't really want to make my parents pay anything. And like I said, Oxford are very generous with their bursaries - I can get the same amount of extra money from Oxford but it would go so much further there.

ReputationRep:
    Hey,

I also have had an offer for Human sciences at Oxford and UCL (such a good course! ) And I can understand your dilema, the UCL course did seem really good and a lot more sciencey based as you said... when I went up to the UCL open day, the students showing us round did make it seem as if the cost of living in london isnt as bad as it can be made out to be, and I think UCL do provide extra financial support too, but where ever you choose Im sure you will enjoy yourself! out of interest what college have you got an offer for?

Excited to find another human scientist!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Charis BS)
    Hey,

I also have had an offer for Human sciences at Oxford and UCL (such a good course! ) And I can understand your dilema, the UCL course did seem really good and a lot more sciencey based as you said... when I went up to the UCL open day, the students showing us round did make it seem as if the cost of living in london isnt as bad as it can be made out to be, and I think UCL do provide extra financial support too, but where ever you choose Im sure you will enjoy yourself! out of interest what college have you got an offer for?

Excited to find another human scientist!
    Hey, I think we must have gone to the same open day for human sciences I also got that impression from the students, although I do wonder whether they were able to get a bit of extra funding from their parents since it seems unlikely to me that it could be a similar cost to other universities? Maybe I'm just making assumptions though.

Have you chosen Oxford or UCL? What were your reasons for your choice?

I'm have an offer from Hertford college

ReputationRep:
    Aah I had my interview at Hertford, so I must have seen you at interview! (If thats where you had your interview too ) but I got an open offer in the end And yeah, my impresion was the only thing that makes UCL more expensive is the accomidation, and student finance does provide a larger loan for living in London..

And I firmed Oxford and insured UCL, one of the reasons is because I really am not keen on living in London (However, after going up to the open day it did change my opinion on living in London). Also I do prefer the topics content at oxford, at UCL they do not seem to cover so much of the anthropological/sociological stuff, however, I do like the way UCL it is very much you create your own course. But I think as I didnt want to go to London anyway, it made it a much easier descision :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.