Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I'm new to this student room, but really just after some good advice.

I want to eventually go to medical school, but I'm going for a graduate entry, as I think that way, i'll be more prepared for medical school, and hopefully have a better chance at getting in.

But, I'm now stuck on which undergraduate course to take, to help me get into medical school!!

I've narrowed it down to biochemistry or Medical Science. What's the difference in them though? Like is one course more 'medicine' related?

Any help or advice would be grateful!
    Thank you x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottward.2)
    Hi, I'm new to this student room, but really just after some good advice.

I want to eventually go to medical school, but I'm going for a graduate entry, as I think that way, i'll be more prepared for medical school, and hopefully have a better chance at getting in.

But, I'm now stuck on which undergraduate course to take, to help me get into medical school!!

I've narrowed it down to biochemistry or Medical Science. What's the difference in them though? Like is one course more 'medicine' related?

Any help or advice would be grateful!
    Thank you x
    Both are good for entry, where are you planning on taking the courses?

Medical Science is a wider range of subjects including Biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology and many more whilst Biochemistry is just biochemistry. Personally I think Medical Science would be better.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YB101)
    Both are good for entry, where are you planning on taking the courses?

Medical Science is a wider range of subjects including Biochemistry, physiology, pharmacology and many more whilst Biochemistry is just biochemistry. Personally I think Medical Science would be better.

Umm, well looking at medical science, only a handful on uni's do the course. Edinburgh is too far, I was looking at Bangor, Leeds, Birmingham or Oxford Brookes.

Yeah, after reading up, It seems that medical science is better. And a lot of the uni's offering the course, have like agreements with medical schools and you can transfer to a medical school on your 3rd year, providing you get the grades..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charlottward.2)
    Umm, well looking at medical science, only a handful on uni's do the course. Edinburgh is too far, I was looking at Bangor, Leeds, Birmingham or Oxford Brookes.

Yeah, after reading up, It seems that medical science is better. And a lot of the uni's offering the course, have like agreements with medical schools and you can transfer to a medical school on your 3rd year, providing you get the grades..
    Medical Science and all of the non accredited Biomedical Science are practically the same courses so you have a lot of choices. I recommend courses that allow you to tailor your degree to the subject area you prefer like sheffield, manchester and leeds.

ReputationRep:
    I would do medical science if I were you, I know the medical science course at birmingham they do all the same modules as the medics, but they do labs and go into more researchy stuff etc, would give you an exceptionally good grounding later on for grad entry medicine imo

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brussels sprouts
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.