Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I've searched the forum but can't seem to find LSE stats.

Does anyone have an idea about how many applications per place LSE receive for economics, and how many places they have available.

Also, is econometrics considered "better" or "harder" than straight up economics?

Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    Hi

Does anyone have an idea about how many applications per place LSE receive for economics, and how many places they have available.

Also, is econometrics considered "better" or "harder" than straight up economics?

Thanks
    no i dont think that econometrics is considered better than straight up economics at all, and secondly, the ratio of applicants is shown on the prospectus

ReputationRep:
    I don't have the prospectus But I have asked LSE to send me one. I can't seem to find any ratio of positions on the online prospectus.

I posted an enquiry to the LSE enquiries office, but they haven't replied (it's been a week). Is this normal?

ReputationRep:
    Economics apps/place is around 12:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILKO)
    Economics apps/place is around 12:1
    impressive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    impressive

But not quite accurate. In 2002, LSE received 1133 applications for 141
    places, so the ratio is more like 8:1. And if you're talking about one's chance at being admitted, that's also misleading because it's regular procedure to admit more students than there are places available (knowing full well that a certain percentage of them will be admitted but choose not to finally enroll).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by berkeley2001)
    But not quite accurate. In 2002, LSE received 1133 applications for 141
    places, so the ratio is more like 8:1. And if you're talking about one's chance at being admitted, that's also misleading because it's regular procedure to admit more students than there are places available (knowing full well that a certain percentage of them will be admitted but choose not to finally enroll).
    2004 entry prospectus say for economics 2549 apps/ 211 places on course = 12:1

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WILKO)
    2004 entry prospectus say for economics 2549 apps/ 211 places on course = 12:1
    You're correct - I, for some reason, had assumed we were speaking of the graduate programs. I was quoting figures for the MSc Economics. My error.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    Hi

Thanks
    Hello Hash,
    U can find info about LSE's course inc applicants/acceptants ratio here:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...xOfCourses.htm

Personally i wouldn't Do Econometrics as it is too narrow. If u do BSc economics at LSE u'll have quiet a few options and u can choose e.g. econometrics or Mathematical economics.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the replies. They've been v. helpful!

Also, shall I phone LSE's student recruitment office for info...as they dont seem to reply to my emails (well I've only sent one)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    Thanks for the replies. They've been v. helpful!

Also, shall I phone LSE's student recruitment office for info...as they dont seem to reply to my emails (well I've only sent one)
    What else do u wanna know about ...maybe i can help?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HamaL)
    Hello Hash,
    U can find info about LSE's course inc applicants/acceptants ratio here:
    http://www.lse.ac.uk/resources/under...xOfCourses.htm

Personally i wouldn't Do Econometrics as it is too narrow. If u do BSc economics at LSE u'll have quiet a few options and u can choose e.g. econometrics or Mathematical economics.

It's very funny reading the entry requirement for Economics: they say they prefer traditional subjects, and not things like 'communication studies, accountancy and media..' These are all subjects in which LSE does degrees (communication studies would come under media)...

ReputationRep:
    LOL exactly they r social sciences....and they say they prefer Physics and Chemistry rather than them....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    Hi

Thanks
    economics gets around 12 per place, law gets around 15 per place.

ReputationRep:
    Do LSE not conduct any interviews at all for economics?

ReputationRep:
    NO LSE do not interview their undergraduate applicants and if they do it'd be under special circumstances.

ReputationRep:
    Is Economics and Management at Oxford more respected than economics at LSE? Does it have better employment prospects?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    Is Economics and Management at Oxford more respected than economics at LSE? Does it have better employment prospects?
    mmm tough one employment prospects should be about the same

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hash)
    u can't compare them coz they r diffrent courses.
    I 'm not a big fan of doing Management as an undergraduate degree coz i think its a waste of time coz u can get an MBA in 1 or 2 yrs and i'll be much more valuable than management as an undergraduate degree.
    But if u wanna Compare Economics and Oxford and Economics at LSE. Id say its v.close. Employers 'd regard LSE and Oxford in the same league for economics BUT if u wanna boast about it to ur freinds who don't know much about it....then OXford is the place to be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheWolf)
    mmm tough one employment prospects should be about the same

Yes but i'd still say if u have a degree from oxbridge u'd be better off, in terms of employement ofcourse...

Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: March 21, 2004
Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.