LSE economics Watch

This discussion is closed.
W.A.S Hewins
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
Yes but i'd still say if u have a degree from oxbridge u'd be better off, in terms of employement ofcourse...
A CUNNING WHEEZE!

On the general point of LSE applications it seems that law, economics, management, accountancy and international relations all have tough entry requirements and masses of applicants (those accepted will have far higher A Level grades than the standard offers).

However if you don't fancy this particular lottery, then take a look at some of the other courses. Any LSE undergrad degree with the word 'social' in front of it for instance seems to be much easier to get into, and when you study it there will be a lot less in the way of boring maths. There are far fewer applicants and the basic offer is much lower.

At the end of three years you'd still emerge with a qualification from a world famous place, and come to that the relevant department will almost certainly be a leader in its field. You won't be quite as employable as somebody with law or economics, but the grade of your degree may be higher because your course will probably be easier than things like econ. And you can pick up other qualifications later and many employers like recruiting generalists from a name university whom they can train themselves- on the other hand by then you may even want to become a sociologist or an anthropologist!
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by iiikewldude)
economics gets around 12 per place, law gets around 15 per place.
So to all those who say the History degree is easier to get onto, it's not really because it was 10:1 last year.
TheWolf
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
A CUNNING WHEEZE!

On the general point of LSE applications it seems that law, economics, management, accountancy and international relations all have tough entry requirements and masses of applicants (those accepted will have far higher A Level grades than the standard offers).

However if you don't fancy this particular lottery, then take a look at some of the other courses. Any LSE undergrad degree with the word 'social' in front of it for instance seems to be much easier to get into, and when you study it there will be a lot less in the way of boring maths. There are far fewer applicants and the basic offer is much lower.

At the end of three years you'd still emerge with a qualification from a world famous place, and come to that the relevant department will almost certainly be a leader in its field. You won't be quite as employable as somebody with law or economics, but the grade of your degree may be higher because your course will probably be easier than things like econ. And you can pick up other qualifications later and many employers like recruiting generalists from a name university whom they can train themselves- on the other hand by then you may even want to become a sociologist or an anthropologist!
thats right, subjects like environmental policy and economics are not that hard to get into.my mate got one a and 2 bs and pretty crap gcses and got into lse with this subject
Hash
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
would 11a* , and 4A at as level get me into LSE? (Straight economics)
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
probs but not definitely
Hash
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 14 years ago
My subjects are maths and all the sciences. These are all "traditional academic" subjects, but would an arts subject have helped?
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
My subjects are maths and all the sciences. These are all "traditional academic" subjects, but would an arts subject have helped?
nope, they dont care about arts subject, i dont htink so anyways
claire1985
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)
Depends what your personal statement and reference are like. I know someone who was rejected with those grades for the History course, but also know someone who got in with those grades.
Mysticmin
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by W.A.S Hewins)
A CUNNING WHEEZE!

Maths...boring?!?! I think not, essays are boring but not maths Besides would you really want a degree in anthropology if you aspire to do something more academically challenging? There are some degrees which i wouldn't touch in LSE with a barge pole. Regardless of it being a fantastic university, certain degrees do not have fantastic employment opportunities.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Mysticmin)
Maths...boring?!?! I think not, essays are boring but not maths Besides would you really want a degree in anthropology if you aspire to do something more academically challenging? There are some degrees which i wouldn't touch in LSE with a barge pole. Regardless of it being a fantastic university, certain degrees do not have fantastic employment opportunities.
very true: watch out degrees that has economics at the end, they are not fool-proof
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by TheWolf)
very true: watch out degrees that has economics at the end, they are not fool-proof
Joint degrees with economics aren't that bad, i was thinking more along the lines of environmental policy.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Joint degrees with economics aren't that bad, i was thinking more along the lines of environmental policy.
its not really 50%EP 50%Ec though its environmental policy with economics. I dont know personally, but i would think people dont regard your degree as an economic-based degree esp with degree name e.g. BscEpEc
HammaL
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by Hash)

No Guarantee...i know so many people who have been rejected @ LSE with 4-5 As at A-level and perfect GCSE grades....

As many other people might ve told u its not just about grades...they r looking for people who have a Life as well being clever...U gotto do lots of extra activities and etc... IT is also depend upon how good ur Personal statement is. If u manage to convince them u r better than the other 12 applicants who also have AAA... then u'll get in.
Economics A-level is v.useful as well, subjects like Maths, Furthermaths.
IF u r not doing Furhter maths i'd suggest u do AS further maths over two yrs.
starry
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Somehow though, foreigners get lower offers.. but I'm not complaining coz' I'm Brit and got an offer
HammaL
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
nope, they dont care about arts subject, i dont htink so anyways
I don't think thats true.
Economics, English , History etc...they r all "Arts"...
LSE don't care about subjects such as Business studies, filmd studies, accounting, law etc...
HammaL
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by starry)
Somehow though, foreigners get lower offers.. but I'm not complaining coz' I'm Brit and got an offer

yes because they pay £10k a yr and lse need to be a bit more firm on them coz they fund it. They fund urs and my education there other wise lse wouldn't ve been L.S.E without the money they get from foreign students.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
(Original post by HamaL)
I don't think thats true.
Economics, English , History etc...they r all "Arts"...
LSE don't care about subjects such as Business studies, filmd studies, accounting, law etc...
economics isnt an art subject, its under social science, and social science is science
Mysticmin
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
economics isnt an art subject, its under social science, and social science is science
Social science just scrapes into the soft science department, i think. Apart from Economics the others don't require much maths. I personally don't consider sociology a science at all...harsh as it sounds. It's a lot like geography which is artsy to me.

Hamal has a point in that A-level economics is practically all essay based.
HammaL
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago

Well thats debatable...I wouldn't consider Economics as a Science...I'd prefer to call subjects like physics , chemistry, biology and etc... sciences...
We r also talking about Economics A-level not Economics @ uni level which involves a lot of maths.
TheWolf
Rep:
?
Report 14 years ago
Social science just scrapes into the soft science department, i think. Apart from Economics the others don't require much maths. I personally don't consider sociology a science at all...harsh as it sounds. It's a lot like geography which is artsy to me.
well i dont consider geog as an art

Geography is not all colouring :P,its got many stats and a few checmical formulas to learn, definitely not art for me, social science fits quite well

'Science is systematized knowledge . . . Art is knowledge made efficient by skill'
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Who is most responsible for your success at university

Mostly me (237)
91.51%
Mostly my university including my lecturers/tutors (22)
8.49%

Watched Threads