Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello guys, I'm planning to do a degree in Software Engineering if after I go through the Foundation of Computing. Problem is, I'm not sure if it is the right thing for me in the computer industry. Personally, I love almost everything about computers, well I mostly played games but moreover I love to install programs when I was a kid and now I'm using video editing softwares such as AAE and SV. But I haven't tried programming yet because I think it might be difficult like scripting(well I've only tested scripting in games like Ragnarok Online but not the coding one) . So uhh would software engineering be my perfect choice? I have clouds of doubts hovering my head because my teacher once said it included lots of usage of Add Mathematics which I'm afraid of because honestly I'm reallly bad at that subject and I can do average Math. Please feel free to answer my questions~

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kolby)
    Hello guys, I'm planning to do a degree in Software Engineering if after I go through the Foundation of Computing. Problem is, I'm not sure if it is the right thing for me in the computer industry. Personally, I love almost everything about computers, well I mostly played games but moreover I love to install programs when I was a kid and now I'm using video editing softwares such as AAE and SV. But I haven't tried programming yet because I think it might be difficult like scripting(well I've only tested scripting in games like Ragnarok Online but not the coding one) . So uhh would software engineering be my perfect choice? I have clouds of doubts hovering my head because my teacher once said it included lots of usage of Add Mathematics which I'm afraid of because honestly I'm reallly bad at that subject and I can do average Math. Please feel free to answer my questions~
    I am eager to hear other people's take on this, as this has been a question that I have been foraging for advice on!

Thanks for posting the thread. Now I am going to sit back, zip my green tea and browse my other, cheeky shall i say, running tabs till someone responds.

ReputationRep:
    Please note this is only my opinion.

(Original post by Kolby)
    Personally, I love almost everything about computers, well I mostly played games but moreover I love to install programs when I was a kid and now I'm using video editing softwares such as AAE and SV.
    Okay, so you say you love computers - good good. You then say you mostly play games; playing games isn't to do with the sort of things you'd be doing on a Computer Science degree, and I'm sure everyone has many friends who enjoy playing video games but that doesn't mean they know anything about computers. If you thoroughly enjoy video games and would like to get into games development, you could do a degree in that.

Installing programs. Okay, it's to do with computers, but again, far from the kinds of things you'll learn on a compsci degree.

You say you're using video editing software, this again isn't something you'll learn on a compsci degree. If you're interested in this you could look into a media degree.

But I haven't tried programming yet because I think it might be difficult like scripting(well I've only tested scripting in games like Ragnarok Online but not the coding one) .
    The fact that you haven't tried programming yet isn't a problem at all. Most will not have and you'll be taught assuming you know nothing. You can't define programming as difficult; it depends on the way you think, your teachers, and many other things. I don't game, so I don't know of Ragnarok Online, but scripting (vbscript, applescript, etc) is a simplified kind of programming. Scripting can be difficult so if you struggle that's not a problem (you haven't been taught afterall), but obviously a large part of a SE degree is going to be around programming, and if you hate it then you may want to reconsider.

I have clouds of doubts hovering my head because my teacher once said it included lots of usage of Add Mathematics which I'm afraid of because honestly I'm reallly bad at that subject and I can do average Math. Please feel free to answer my questions~
    As to maths it depends on the institution. If you do a true computer science degree at oxford or cambridge, I've heard to essentially end up with a maths degree at the end of it. But you don't have to be a great mathematician to be a programmer (I failed my A-Level maths and only got a 'D' at AS, so...). The entry requirements to the course should indicate if you need good maths skills, so make sure to check.

So uhh would software engineering be my perfect choice?*
    From what you've written I'm unsure if you know what a software engineering degree entails. To succeed in computer science you need to be passionate about computers and computing; being 'good at computers' isn't a good reason to follow this degree path and many people that do fail. Once again this is only my opinion.

ReputationRep:
    ^

What he said basically. He has nailed it for you.

ReputationRep:
    From what you've written I'm unsure if you know what a software engineering degree entails. To succeed in computer science you need to be passionate about computers and computing; being 'good at computers' isn't a good reason to follow this degree path and many people that do fail. Once again this is only my opinion.

But the thing is, I have no other interest in other things besides history, politics and automotive

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.