Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If There Were A Pill That Completely Eliminates Sleep, Would You Take It? Watch

• View Poll Results: If A Daily Pill Existed That Eliminated The Need For Sleep, Would You Take It?
    Yes.
    32.95%
    No.
    42.05%
    Not yet, but I'd wait several decades until the long term effects were fully understood.
    25.00%

ReputationRep:
    Say, a pill existed that completely eliminated the need for sleep (and it was cheap and had to be taken daily), would you take it?

EDIT:

- Whilst it would eliminate the need for sleep, it would not completely erase feelings of fatigue/mental tiredness, it would only mask such feelings.

- It would also be extremely, extremely hard to fall asleep when on it.

ReputationRep:
    Yes

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    Of course.

ReputationRep:
    I don't think I'd need it, seems to be the norm already :rolleyes:

Would it completely eliminate the feeling of tiredness and mental fatigue?

ReputationRep:
    Absolutely not.

ReputationRep:
    Definitely! Life is too short, why waste 1/3 of it if you didn't have to?

ReputationRep:
    I'd only take it during revision periods because I have so much work to take in. But otherwise, I like sleep. It's the only time of the day you get full peace.

I can stay up for a whole night without having any really negative effects, and not needing to catch up on it during day. Kind of cool

Posted from TSR iPad

ReputationRep:
    I'd like something that could be used now and again - I've slipped into a near-nocturnal sleep pattern whilst writing an essay (oops) and need to be diurnal again by tomorrow, so it could be awfully useful.

ReputationRep:
    Yes.

Edit: Oh, since it doesn't actually remove fatigue, it would depend on how effectively it obscures it. I would limit its use in this case.

ReputationRep:
    I think would still like the novelty of sleep but i think i'd take it after a while anyway,
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Yes - sleeping for a third of the day is such an incredible time sink. I'd love to have all that extra time to do things. However, there are some times when all you want to do is sleep, like when you are hungover and want the time to go by, so it'd be a sacrifice.

ReputationRep:
    No, I love dreaming.

ReputationRep:
    can you still sleep if you have had it, i think id just get bored.

ReputationRep:
    No. Unless maybe the night before exams.
    I hate not sleeping at night, you need to switch off from your thoughts and give your brain a break.

ReputationRep:
    Hell yeah! But then I sometimes like a dream every now and then as it shows me my unconscious thinking and to live things I can't in real life in a dream.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I chose the third option, but I think I'd make exceptions for uni

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mockery)
    I don't think I'd need it, seems to be the norm already :rolleyes:

Would it completely eliminate the feeling of tiredness and mental fatigue?
    No.

I've edited the OP to reflect this.

ReputationRep:
    No because during the night I would get bored as everybody else would be asleep

ReputationRep:
    No, definitely not. Sleep is a way of getting away from all the negative things that are going on around you. One of the main reasons I am able to get up, go to college and work all day is because I know that whatever happens, I can come home at the end of it and leave everything behind for 8 hours. I couldn't deal with constantly being switched on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by HumanSupremacist)
    No.

I've edited the OP to reflect this.
    Then the side effects are apparent from the offset, I'll probably have to vote no

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.