Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure what I'm looking for by posting on here, I guess I just want to get everything down and to have someone to talk things through with. All of my flatmates are away and my phone has broken so the conversation is only with myself at the moment (and in the words of Slartibartfast, I know the answer about 50% of the time :P)

I've always loved medicine, I am amazed by the intricacy of the human body, how something so complex came about, how problems arise and how they can be fix. I love it. I spend hours reading journals, hunting work placements so I can be in a medical environment, talking to people to learn about them. I love being with people too. Medicine seemed like an obvious choice. There's science, people and responsibility.

When I applied for 2012 entry (and didn't get in) I searched through the UCAS A-Z, just to be sure that medicine is what I wanted to do. Nothing even came close from the list of stuff I'd do if medicine didn't exist (biomed, forensics, forensic anthropology). I started a forensic and medical sciences degree in september and quickly realised that I don't like forensics, so I switched to pure biomed. Biomed fascinates me. I'm the annoying person in the lecture that asks loads of questions :P

However, I've always had an interest in fashion. I recently picked up a free copy of cosmo on campus and kind of rekindled my love for fashion. I found myself rewatching movies like 'the devil wears prada' and 'the september issue'. I'm always looking at clothes and am trying to remember the log in details for the pinterest I started ages ago about cheap, good looking outfits. I find myself wondering what a career in fashion would be like. Realistically, I know that fashion isn't a stable career, and that the stereotype of it being dominated by *****y girls is probably true.

I'm not sure what I want to do right now, I know it's ages until I have to apply but I've never had doubts about medicine before.

Am I being crazy?!!!

Sorry for the essay :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by OneDayDoctor)
    I'm not sure what I'm looking for by posting on here, I guess I just want to get everything down and to have someone to talk things through with. All of my flatmates are away and my phone has broken so the conversation is only with myself at the moment (and in the words of Slartibartfast, I know the answer about 50% of the time :P)

I've always loved medicine, I am amazed by the intricacy of the human body, how something so complex came about, how problems arise and how they can be fix. I love it. I spend hours reading journals, hunting work placements so I can be in a medical environment, talking to people to learn about them. I love being with people too. Medicine seemed like an obvious choice. There's science, people and responsibility.

When I applied for 2012 entry (and didn't get in) I searched through the UCAS A-Z, just to be sure that medicine is what I wanted to do. Nothing even came close from the list of stuff I'd do if medicine didn't exist (biomed, forensics, forensic anthropology). I started a forensic and medical sciences degree in september and quickly realised that I don't like forensics, so I switched to pure biomed. Biomed fascinates me. I'm the annoying person in the lecture that asks loads of questions :P

However, I've always had an interest in fashion. I recently picked up a free copy of cosmo on campus and kind of rekindled my love for fashion. I found myself rewatching movies like 'the devil wears prada' and 'the september issue'. I'm always looking at clothes and am trying to remember the log in details for the pinterest I started ages ago about cheap, good looking outfits. I find myself wondering what a career in fashion would be like. Realistically, I know that fashion isn't a stable career, and that the stereotype of it being dominated by *****y girls is probably true.

I'm not sure what I want to do right now, I know it's ages until I have to apply but I've never had doubts about medicine before.

Am I being crazy?!!!

It's possible that due to not getting into medicine you subconsciously looked at other things you like, e.g. fashion as a career. But from what you have written above you clearly love medicine (same :holmes:) and have not written so passionately (at least in my opinion) about fashion.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Realistically, I know that fashion isn't a stable career
    Yup.

I'm pretty sure you can be into fashion as well as medicine. Indeed, judging by the wards some days, many are.

Deciding to abandon a rigorous academic career with excellent job prospects for a completely un-academic career with bleak job prospects is a huge decision. If its what will make you happy then its what you should do, but don't get caught up in a romanticised view of what you'll be doing, and don't ignore the huge risk it would be.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    It's possible that due to not getting into medicine you subconsciously looked at other things you like, e.g. fashion as a career. But from what you have written above you clearly love medicine (same :holmes:) and have not written so passionately (at least in my opinion) about fashion.
    Looking into fashion subconsciously may be a good shout. I doubted myself a lot in year 13 and maybe I thought I ought to go for something creative, and therefore subjective, than science. I've spent about 5 hours in the library this morning doing some cardiovascular revision and managed to spend a good hour and a half absorbed in a cardiology book :P I'm not sure I could ever give up my love for medicine and all that it entails after that...

Yup.

I'm pretty sure you can be into fashion as well as medicine. Indeed, judging by the wards some days, many are.

Deciding to abandon a rigorous academic career with excellent job prospects for a completely un-academic career with bleak job prospects is a huge decision. If its what will make you happy then its what you should do, but don't get caught up in a romanticised view of what you'll be doing, and don't ignore the huge risk it would be.
    The risk is a concern. I do like a challenge but one that is achievable. I think when it comes down to it I could never give up on becoming a doctor. It's my passion. I guess I need to find a way to integrate fashion into my life as a hobby or interest.... or start making designer labcoats :P
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    The risk is a concern. I do like a challenge but one that is achievable. I think when it comes down to it I could never give up on becoming a doctor. It's my passion. I guess I need to find a way to integrate fashion into my life as a hobby or interest.... or start making designer labcoats :P
    Just yesterday my friend was telling me how her supervisor tie-dyed his labcoat blue and pink. :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Just yesterday my friend was telling me how her supervisor tie-dyed his labcoat blue and pink. :yep:
    :O If I could get away with it I'd go do that to mine now!

ReputationRep:
    I have a similar issue in that I absolutely love biology but in most of my spare time, I spend my time reading fashion magazine, blogs and looking at clothes!
    I think it would be best to carry on with medicine as it is easier to make a hobby out of fashion. Also, you would probably earn more money to spend on clothes!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    Lots of people have plenty of hobbies and interests outside of medicine: academic or otherwise. I don't think you'll have a problem getting a good dose of fashion in with your love of medicine!

ReputationRep:
    Friend of mine dropped out of medical school to pursue a career in fashion. From what I understand she's just finishing up her fashion degree and works in a high end fashion shop. Has a blog and has done some internships as well. I love lots of things which I try to find time to do outside medicine, but if that wouldn't be enough then its worth seriously considering fashion too.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys and girls,

I am just about to leave school and im beginning to get stressed and very worried. My only ambition in life is to complete a medicine degree and actually become a doctor. i love everything about medicine from caring to the science. There is absoulelty nothing i want to do more. but im worried about grades, subjects and actually getting into uni. I kow it's perhaps a little to early to worry however im a 'worrier'.

i have applied to college and been accepted.. so far in GCSEs i secured a grade B in mathematics - im chuffed to bits with that! im no maths genius!!My predictions are 4A*, 3 As and 2 Bs

for a levels i have chosen bio, chem, psychology and nglish lit..

i have a job in Boots and i am becoming healthcare trained in the pharmacy soon. i have also applied for a job of a radiography assistant.. and im ding many work placements at my local hospital.

Realistically, i am i heading in the right direction?

ReputationRep:

However, I've always had an interest in fashion. I recently picked up a free copy of cosmo on campus and kind of rekindled my love for fashion. I found myself rewatching movies like 'the devil wears prada' and 'the september issue'. I'm always looking at clothes and am trying to remember the log in details for the interest I started ages ago about cheap, good looking outfits. I find myself wondering what a career in fashion would be like. Realistically, I know that fashion isn't a stable career, and that the stereotype of it being dominated by *****y girls is probably true.

Am I being crazy?!!!

If you have always been interested in medicine, and if you like biomed and are considering GEP, then I'd stick with it. A career in medicine could fund your interest in fashion

ReputationRep:
    Why not consider a career in.....Medical Fashion? We have an age-old problem in the clinical world. We need clothes that look smart, professional and stand out so lay people can recognize us as healthcare professionals in a Medical Emergency.
    However, we also need something that doesn't spread pathogens around (so though a sleeved white coat and a tie are great for the former, they are not so good concerning this). Maybe you could combine your love of Medicine and fashion to create the ultimate doctor's uniform? You could then patent it, so you could get rich. You would also have the satisfaction of knowing that you are saving people from dying by MRSA and the like.

I have several ideas myself - including:

Wearing a tie made out of antibiotics disks. Not only will it look professional, every time it touches a patient, it kills some bacteria! Furthermore, if the tie does start having bacterial growth on it, you know resistant strains are emerging - its time to call the DoH.

Hope this advice helps. Good luck.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.