Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I am thinking about organising a 4 day residential trip (3 nights) to the Lake District for around £30 including accomodation and travel around the area, depending on whoever wants to go (excluding food).

Whilst there, I am considering that we could do the Lake District 3000, which is climbing the four largest mountains in the lake district over a 3 day period (2 of them are literally 20 minutes walk from each other)

However, it would only be this cheap if I can find three other people who are interested. This is a great cheap way to fulfil the residential section for anyone doing the their Duke of Edinburgh Gold, and for anyone else who would like a 4 day holiday where you could get to meet new people. Would anybody be interested?

Btw, this would probably be in late June, early August
    • Community Assistant

Community Assistant
    I'd have said it's a bit more than 20 minutes between Scafell and Scafell Pike. It's not far in a straight line, but the pass between them is damned steep.

Also if you're going to do all of the 3000ft+ you should know there's more than 4. The usual scafell, scafell pike, helvellyn and skiddaw are added to by broad crag, ill crag and lower man. They're not wainwrights of their own merit, however they are mentioned as additional peaks in the books. As it happens you can do ill crag and broad crag at the same time as scafell pike (it's about a half hour to detour for each one if you walk fast). And I think you can also do lower man at the same time as helvellyn, depending on the route.

Not for me, personally - planning on various other expeditions over the summer.

I would suggest you try not to do it over the summer if possible, the heat is mad between about june and august. October is probably best, next best would be around now.

Have fun
    I remember seeing what I think were DoE people a couple of years ago...completely lost and asked where they were on the map
    Hopefully you're a bit more experienced than they were!
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.