Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can't find motivation to start fitness program Watch

ReputationRep:
    Okay, here is the situation.

I'm studying CS and find myself sitting a lot. Thinking, contemplating about programming problems and I fear that such sitting will result in consequences later. I'm thin guy and never was much into sports especially lifting iron. I can work hard, I worked a lot in the forest but never bothered to start building muscle or something.

However, I really like simple fast walking alternating between running. However, I'm overwhelmed by work I have to do on my course as well as part-time job to survive. I have free time which may be spent getting fit but I cannot find some inspiration...

Fortunately, I'm aware that I'm no use for anyone, for my future family, friends if I'm sick, sad and depressed because of bad habits. I have no doubts that my future work will be sitting on a chair coding with occasional walking. How did you manage to get into working out routine? I have no intention to become muscular or anything of bodybuilder type but I want to prevent sickness before it attacks me.

I eat pretty well, slowly removing meat from my menu because it helps me to think more clearly. I know that eating well is the major part while exercising is less important but still I cannot see to myself in mirror sometimes because I would like to be bigger, stronger. I have no doubts that becoming stronger version of myself would affect my mental capabilities, communication with people and overall health.

Please share some tips, inspiration or anything because well...as a Joker puts it "all you need is a little push".

ReputationRep:
    Other people can provide you with all the motivation you'd ever need, however if you don't want it yourself, nothing will ever change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Valentas)
    Okay, here is the situation.

I'm studying CS and find myself sitting a lot. Thinking, contemplating about programming problems and I fear that such sitting will result in consequences later. I'm thin guy and never was much into sports especially lifting iron. I can work hard, I worked a lot in the forest but never bothered to start building muscle or something.

However, I really like simple fast walking alternating between running. However, I'm overwhelmed by work I have to do on my course as well as part-time job to survive. I have free time which may be spent getting fit but I cannot find some inspiration...

Fortunately, I'm aware that I'm no use for anyone, for my future family, friends if I'm sick, sad and depressed because of bad habits. I have no doubts that my future work will be sitting on a chair coding with occasional walking. How did you manage to get into working out routine? I have no intention to become muscular or anything of bodybuilder type but I want to prevent sickness before it attacks me.

I eat pretty well, slowly removing meat from my menu because it helps me to think more clearly. I know that eating well is the major part while exercising is less important but still I cannot see to myself in mirror sometimes because I would like to be bigger, stronger. I have no doubts that becoming stronger version of myself would affect my mental capabilities, communication with people and overall health.

Please share some tips, inspiration or anything because well...as a Joker puts it "all you need is a little push".
    Hi.

I had the same issue as you. No motivation seems to be the main reason people stop going to the gym.

What I did - hold your hats, because this is where it gets exciting - was create a fitness schedule.

I kept to that schedule come rain or shine (except for one time when I was hungover, but I got back on the horse the day after).

Maybe that's what you need to do - make a schedule with regard to your gym sessions and what exercises you'll do.

ReputationRep:
    See my sig

ReputationRep:
    I study CS too. I think about programming a lot and I find exercising helps take my mind off
    It- you know when you need to give your brain a rest because all the thinking clogs it up and you basically over think? I have that. Answers to things often come to me after exercise or during sleep- it's when I can think most clearly. I also get better at maths in general when exercising.

I worked a YII and I know that working full time on studying or part time leaves you with no time- but you have to fit in exercise into your lifestyle - it is so important especially when you're doing a pretty stressful job like programming (and sat
    On your ass all day drinking coffee or energy drinks to stay awake whilst you slog through the night is bad - believe me I know what it can do to someone). So you just need to make time, start slow, and make the lifestyle change- hopefully you'll end up working somewhere with a nice gym, that helps!!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    I get my inspiration from my friends who are also programmer, several Facebook groups like 'gym memes' and just seeing the change in my body and mood now that I'm healthier. I started in August last year and feel so much better- Hopefully I will do better in exams too now I am getting the right level of food and exercise. I hope you do it!

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    Well, today I went for a 8 km walk. It's a start. I guess my plan is to start bodyweight training and then move to something move to something more hardcore. :}

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.