Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Cheap, reliable audio distributors? Mic/Headphones/Mixer/etc watch

ReputationRep:
    I have an upcoming audio project in the works, and I'm looking to get some equipment. I'm quite happy to buy from Amazon, but I'd like to know if I'm missing some good offers - And if those offering these offers are reputable sellers (product as listed, authentic and with full warranty in the UK)

What I'm after:

Audio Technica ATH-M50 studio monitor headphones
    (Amazon is listing these from £120-£130, but AccessoryJack can ship it from Asia and the base price is under £100)

Audio Technica AT2020 cardoid condensor microphone
    (Amazon is listing it for £70)

Behringer 302USB Xenyx mixer
    (Amazon was listing it for ~£35 but it is steadily going up. It's now around £40)

The savings won't be massive, but surely a few quid here and there can't hurt, right?

I'm just wondering if you know of anywhere which can beat those prices, or places which would be reliable to purchase from. I try to avoid eBay as I dislike going through PayPal, but I have always been happy with how Amazon and their sellers provide things. I'm just slightly apprehensive about buying the ATH-M50 from Hong Kong as it will take around 2 weeks to arrive and seems like it could be a painful process if it needs returning. Plus, I hear warranty can sometimes be invalid depending on where you buy it from.

Cheers

ReputationRep:
    Accessoryjack are definitely the cheapest place for the M50s, short of second hand (Which I'd only recommend getting from the Head Fi classifieds, too many fakes floating around elsewhere). I ordered my most recent pair of headphones from them and it took just over a week for them to arrive. Your apprehension around returns and warranty are justified however, apparently they be a pain to get a return out of (nevermind the shipping times/costs) and a lot of their stuff is "grey market" and standard warranty won't be honoured if they're not an authorised seller. Otherwise it's back to Amazon from my experience, I've just trawled through my list of audio stores that I buy from and none of them can beat the £119 on Amazon.

Cant help on the other two I'm afraid :erm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gofre)
    Your apprehension around returns and warranty are justified however, apparently they be a pain to get a return out of (nevermind the shipping times/costs) and a lot of their stuff is "grey market" and standard warranty won't be honoured if they're not an authorised seller.
    That's what I'm afraid of. I wouldn't give a damn if it were some fiver headphones, but I'm paying for the quality and reputation of the brand, and I don't think they could honour that.

I've heard similar things with companies such as DigitalRev (although they may have improved in this area) for buying cameras and equipment. Also based in Hong Kong, they do offer some good deals, but I can't justify spending several hundred on a lens without warranty - Sure, it'll probably be fine, but it would be cheaper to get the full-fat version instead of buying a complete replacement.

I also had a look at the shipping - It would be around a tenner, so I'm not going to make that much of a saving in the long run I suppose. So thanks for the tips.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SillyEddy)
    That's what I'm afraid of. I wouldn't give a damn if it were some fiver headphones, but I'm paying for the quality and reputation of the brand, and I don't think they could honour that.

I've heard similar things with companies such as DigitalRev (although they may have improved in this area) for buying cameras and equipment. Also based in Hong Kong, they do offer some good deals, but I can't justify spending several hundred on a lens without warranty - Sure, it'll probably be fine, but it would be cheaper to get the full-fat version instead of buying a complete replacement.

I also had a look at the shipping - It would be around a tenner, so I'm not going to make that much of a saving in the long run I suppose. So thanks for the tips.
    Don't Accessoryjack currently have a free delivery promo? I know they did when I checked earlier this week :holmes: but yeah, for the extra £20 a pair from Amazon will be properly "supported" and it's still a good price for some damn good headphones.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't looked to c if there stores sell them but they carry pro sound equipment and are "reputable" .
    Dolphin music
    dv247
    thomann
    studiospares
    blue Aran
    adam hall
    i know I'll have missed something but there are a few to check out.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.