Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Hi! I am in fourth year at the moment and currently doing Int 2 maths. I do not like maths and find it really hard, I reckon I could probably get a B this year (Which would be fine for me) but my school insists that you need to do maths next year? Does anyone know? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    It's down to the individual schools what subjects they make compulsory or not. At my school English is compulsory in 5th Year but Maths is not. Check with the DHT incharge of S5 Options to see what applies for your school!
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    It depends on the institution, there's no nationwide policy as far as I know, but many schools enforce maths in 5th year as compulsory.

ReputationRep:
    My school doesn't force any subjects apart from maths and English for 4th year. So glad they never forced us to do a language

ReputationRep:
    Maths was compulsory in 5th year at my school, but it wasn't in another school nearby so it won't be a nationwide thing. My school was occasionally flexible with people who didn't want to take maths if they could give good reasons(basically explain their life plan and why they didn't need maths for it), so I'd suggest talking to someone at your school about it.

ReputationRep:
    No. Well, certainly at my school it's not (and neither is English), although our school tries to accommodate everyone and you don't need to choose your subjects from columns. I struggled with maths last year and only managed to get a 3 in the final exam, and don't feel that I've been hindered at all by not taking it. Really, I can only advise you to choose subjects which you enjoy and have an aptitude for in 5th year, and if you're struggling now then perhaps it'd be wiser not to take it. I know fifth year would have been hell had I been forced to take maths.

ReputationRep:
    Okay, thanks everyone! Really helped

ReputationRep:
    depends, my school has a concrete rule of picking maths and english in 5th year, no exceptions.

ReputationRep:
    It really just depends on the school, which I think is kind of unfair but still. At my school, maths isn't compulsory but English is, but it's different for others. The maths department at mine actually advise us not to take higher maths if we think there's a chance we'll end up dropping it(and the figures are something crazy like if you get a C at int 2, there's like no percent chance of passing) so we can still have our 5 highers.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ladymarshmallow)
    No. Well, certainly at my school it's not (and neither is English), although our school tries to accommodate everyone and you don't need to choose your subjects from columns. I struggled with maths last year and only managed to get a 3 in the final exam, and don't feel that I've been hindered at all by not taking it. Really, I can only advise you to choose subjects which you enjoy and have an aptitude for in 5th year, and if you're struggling now then perhaps it'd be wiser not to take it. I know fifth year would have been hell had I been forced to take maths.
    HI.. can you tell me which school you go to??

Poll
Do you think parents should charge rent?
Applying to university
Uni match

Find your perfect match

Our tool will help you find the perfect uni course for you

Make your revision easier

Study Help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.