Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I hold an offer to study Geography at Nottingham (AAA) and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll achieve them - so its not the grades that are the problem.
    I feel that I've not lived my life yet.. or had enough experience to go to University.

Seeing as my birthday is 28th August, I'm the youngest one in my year and when I go, or if I do go to university I will still have only just turned 18. But some people will be 19. Or some 20 if they've taken gap years! I don't want to feel like the youngest... and I really like the idea of making a little bit of money to help with living costs before I go.

I'm also thinking about applying to Oxford... if I was to take the gap year. But then again, I might not even get an interview despite having already achieved the grades! And what if, I went to Oxford- but hated it and wanted to go back to Nottingham? Then the gap year would've kind of been a waste of time...

So what I'm saying is- what is your opinion of me taking a gap year? Positive- negative?

Any replies would be really helpful Thank you in advance x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe299)
    I hold an offer to study Geography at Nottingham (AAA) and I'm feeling pretty confident that I'll achieve them - so its not the grades that are the problem.
    I feel that I've not lived my life yet.. or had enough experience to go to University.

Seeing as my birthday is 28th August, I'm the youngest one in my year and when I go, or if I do go to university I will still have only just turned 18. But some people will be 19. Or some 20 if they've taken gap years! I don't want to feel like the youngest... and I really like the idea of making a little bit of money to help with living costs before I go.

I'm also thinking about applying to Oxford... if I was to take the gap year. But then again, I might not even get an interview despite having already achieved the grades! And what if, I went to Oxford- but hated it and wanted to go back to Nottingham? Then the gap year would've kind of been a waste of time...

So what I'm saying is- what is your opinion of me taking a gap year? Positive- negative?

It sounds like you really want to take a gap year and I say go for it! I'm taking one too and regardless of whether or not you decide to apply to or get into oxford I think it's great to have a year to explore more of the world and have more experience so don't think it of it as a waste of time if you don't get into Oxy. Its a great place but you can never tell and sometimes whatever happens can be a blessing in disguise. Equally, Notts is a great uni too so you could also defer your entry

Just wondering why didn't you apply to oxy last year or did you apply to cambridge? Or do you think you could apply somewhere better than notts in general - there's ucas extra too

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nespix)
    It sounds like you really want to take a gap year and I say go for it! I'm taking one too and regardless of whether or not you decide to apply to or get into oxford I think it's great to have a year to explore more of the world and have more experience so don't think it of it as a waste of time if you don't get into Oxy. Its a great place but you can never tell and sometimes whatever happens can be a blessing in disguise. Equally, Notts is a great uni too so you could also defer your entry

Just wondering why didn't you apply to oxy last year or did you apply to cambridge? Or do you think you could apply somewhere better than notts in general - there's ucas extra too

Hope that helps

Posted from TSR Mobile
    That's really good advice, thank you!! I think my heart will know on results day hopefully. I felt scared about not being able to fit in, but I think having a gap year might give me a better chance. I'm not wanting to apply to anything via extra - I really LOVE Nottingham and can't picture myself other than there, Leeds or Oxford. But thank you for the idea.

x

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chloe299)

Thats what i'm planning to do as well! im going to turn 18 this summer so I think i'll be one of the youngest people at university. I want to get more experience before I go to uni, so that's what Im planning to do. I'm trying to get an apprentienceship in London and try to live my life for a while. Maybe even go to college and get my grade up a little buit.
    to be honest, follow your heart! Taking a gap year won't hurt or harm anything if you want to take a gap year then go for it!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps try emailing Nottingham to see if they would offer you a place next year? Just posted in the 'Gap year or Durham?' thread where someone is in a similar situation, as I was last year. Good luck .

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Applying to uni

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Graduates celebrate

How to write a good personal statement

Expert PS advice from the people who will read it

Uni match

Uni match

Can't decide where to apply? Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Two students working together

A-Z of universities

Read our guides to unis and colleges from around the UK

A student working on a computer

Personal statement help

Use our tool to get your ideal PS quickly!

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student looking down a microscope

Planning open days

Find upcoming open days and get advice on preparing.

Help out other students

These questions still need an answer

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.