OCR Biology A2 practical - aftermath Watch

sul1987
Badges: 0
Report 12 years ago
Wern't you supposed to get a curve and not a straight line? Which relates to the enzyme substrate graph? also the question said using the "calibration curve" at one stage so doesnt that point to a curve?

What did everyone put for the 2 reasons to why you get an increase in urea concentration? i put one was excess amino acids, guessed an increase in respiration and metabollic output for the other?
tctc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by sul1987)
Wern't you supposed to get a curve and not a straight line? Which relates to the enzyme substrate graph? also the question said using the "calibration curve" at one stage so doesnt that point to a curve?

What did everyone put for the 2 reasons to why you get an increase in urea concentration? i put one was excess amino acids, guessed an increase in respiration and metabollic output for the other?
It should be a straight line through the origin until the enzymes have been staturated (the saturation point) then its horizontal from there. And a line is a curve.. and the enzyme substrate graph is a straight line in my books
anyhow my line/curve/graph was crappy as i hate practicals.
I put extra respirations via recent exercise
and high protien deit
cksjohns
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I got a perfect straight line! Didn't go through the origin. Expt was a joke as the criteria was stop the stopwatch when it's the same colour as C - it was never the same colour as C coz all the tubes had urease in them which made them 'cloudier' / less translucent, so at best they were just the same shade.
tctc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
yes so you right about the turbidity in the last question
beebee23
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by ***STAR***)
my results were in seconds like ranging from 13 secs to 4 secs
im confused, how come mine didnt take minutes?
don't worry at least it worked - ours didn't work full stop, OCR had to send us results to use, apparently "they were aware of the problem", but all u guys don't seem to have had any problems??? our first tube changed colour after like an hour, by which point we had nearly finished the whole exam! dodge urease i guess.
tctc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
we got an extra 15minutes or something
Jenski
Badges: 9
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Mine took minutes to change to yellow. I thought it was a pretty nice practical, nothing to catch you out on. My collecting duct was a bit of guesswork but hey! Only a few marks.

I'm taking Mamallian Physiology and Behaviour (not sure about the spelling there!) which is kinda chunky but pretty interesting. Should be called Human, not mamallian thought!
tctc
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
there was a question that was intentionally supossed to trick you out concerning ADH
as in the exam we have to learn contray to what it says..
it said why do people who have no ADH produce dilute piss.... but it is actually concentrated... just realitive volumes blar blar
charlottee
Report 12 years ago
I didn't think it was that bad in all..

It took me AGES to try and focus the microscope on high power for S2 grrr. But it was ok because I was given extra time (the distilled water I was given was contaminated so I had to start again)

I messed up the evaluation part didn't say anything about more dilutions/repeats ahh! And everyone seemed to get either 0.08 or 1.2 for the concentration of U, I got 1.2 but I don't know what I could've done wrong!
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Cardiff Metropolitan University
    Undergraduate Open Day - Llandaff Campus Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • University of East Anglia
    Could you inspire the next generation? Find out more about becoming a Primary teacher with UEA… Postgraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19
  • Anglia Ruskin University
    Health, Education, Medicine and Social Care; Arts, Humanities and Social Sciences; Business and Law; Science and Engineering Undergraduate
    Sat, 27 Apr '19

Have you registered to vote?

Yes! (551)
37.82%
No - but I will (114)
7.82%
No - I don't want to (102)
7%
No - I can't vote (<18, not in UK, etc) (690)
47.36%

Watched Threads