Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Writing a Marxist review on a movie, with ciritique, and small comparisons Watch

ReputationRep:
    Title pretty much explains it, and I can't justify why I haven't done this Essay yes.
    I'm overdue on this, but I've been so distracted with my first world issues

I really struggle with Marxism, I've asked my tutor to explain it to me over and over again, so I'm struggling with this Essay.

Can anyone give me a small overview of what Marxism is here, so I can keep referring back to this thread so I don't forget, but please nothing about the book on Marxism because that's more political than film related. The only work paper I have on it is a circle of evolution, changing between capitalist and communist eras...

And any films that I can watch and write about would really help too, but don't do the essay for me, when I'm not grumpy I'm pretty good at writing Essays
    I did A Level english before I started doing Media haha.

Thanks for any help!

ReputationRep:
    I guess that society moves through certain phases when it is split socially and economically into different classes, and the antagonism between these classes causes slight change in circumstances as the lower class seeks to wrestle power from the higher class. When these changes reach a certain point they cause a big change, an overthrow of the old order and replacement with a new one, where new classes emerge. Our current era is supposed to be unique because unlike in other times the lower class is aware of its situation (class consciousness) and actively seeks to bring about that large scale change and create a new society where the two earlier classes merge into one creating a classless society where all production is socially owned. That probably didn't clarify things much.

It might help to explain what the film is in order to see how it would in any way relate to Marxism.

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading what you were saying and I was thinking about the movie, Spartacus? Well I was actually watching the series, but there is a movie, and the way a lower class (slaves) through spartacus are conscious of their situation and how they overthrow batiatus and become free people, then cause a rebellion against the Romans?

I have no idea how to write any of this in a marxist review but hopefully this is the right direction

Thanks!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.