Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Post-2000s Draft; Round 1 - Ipoop vs Louis. watch

• View Poll Results: Who do you think would win?
    Ipoop's team
    7.69%
    Louis.'s team
    92.31%

ReputationRep:
    Hello, welcome to the Post-2000s Draft Game. This is the third Draft Game organized on TSR (to my knowledge, anyway) but for anyone who wasn't around last time or doesn't know how things work: basically, sixteen members have spent the last couple of weeks picking players to make a team (you can see how they did it in this thread), and they are now ready to go head-to-head against each other to win your vote - which do you think is the better team? The voter has both the squad-sheet and the tactics to consider!

The key rule for this edition of the game is that players have to have made their debuts in or after 2000, and they have to have spent most of their careers in one of the English Premier League, La Liga, Serie A or the Bundesliga (apart from one wild-card pick). They are judged at their best.

Additionally, voters are requested to please justify the votes you cast: an explanation of why you voted for the team you did would be much appreciated and would add to the game and the forum as a whole.

The poll closes in two days.

First Round Game

Ipoop vs Louis.

Ipoop's team and tactics:

Spoiler:
    Show

The link is here if it doesn't show http://www.footballuser.com/formatio...8_AC_Milan.jpg

I have Cavani as the main striker and Giovinco and Van Der Vaart closely behind him because I think the two can link up well between each other and feed Cavani with little passes that will break up Louis’ defence and have him one on one with the keeper. Inler also, with his long ball expertise will on various occasions try and find Cavani, which won’t be difficult because Cavani is does have a good height, is strong and quick so he can and will bully defenders.
    If we cannot break down the defence we will on many occasions shoot from distance, and with Cavani, Ramires, Inler in the team, I don’t think many will go off target.

In the centre of the park, I have Inler and De Jong playing as the main holding midfielders, Ramires has the role of box to box midfielders, and with his pace and stamina he won’t struggle to join the attack with great runs and then immediately head back to defend on the counterattacks. When Ramires goes on his trademark bursts, Inler will drop back and cover for him, but normally he will be in front of the two DMs sharing passes with Giovinco and Van Der Vaart.
    With the speed and technical abilities of my players, we will generally play short and quick passes, with many through balls in search of Cavani.

Abate and Luis both quick and firm defenders will join the attack whenever possible, and when they do De Jong will cover.

I think both of my centre backs will do quite well in protecting Diego Lopez, yes Louis has world class strikers but Pique and Koscielny aren't amateurs when it comes to killing a promising attack. If all fails, Diego Lopez has shown again and again why he is a top keeper and I trust in him to do when required.

We defend corners by man marking every player and matching them height by height. When we have a set piece like corners and freekicks, the two tall guys at the back will join in and try and bag one in the net.

Louis.'s team and tactics:

Spoiler:
    Show

Bios

Reina- Towards the end of the 2000s he was up there with the best in the world. Shot stopping and distribution were his biggest assets, and 3 consecutive Premier League Golden Glove Awards prove his talent.

Richards- A player whose physicality makes him an effective attacker and defender, his marauding runs down the right contributed greatly to City’s title win in 2011-12.

Alaba- One of the rising stars in Europe, his pace, stamina and composure make him ideally suited to an attacking left back role.

Albiol- A solid all round centre back. Made his name at Valencia before the move to Real Madrid, and 38 caps for Spain prove his talent.

Dante- The standout player in possibly the best defence in the world. From the school of aggressive, physical Brazilian centre backs, the late bloomer has established himself as the heir to Lucio at Bayern Munich.

Martinez- Combines the traditional Spanish technical ability with a robust physicality that makes him a rock-solid holding player, with the versatility to drop into the back line.

Wilshere- A Spaniard trapped in an Englishman’s body? Technically flawless and fiercely determined, his finest hour was the 2011 Champions League tie against Barcelona, where against Xavi, Iniesta and the best midfield in history he held his own and at times even overshadowed them.

Park- He runs and runs and runs and runs. An essential big game player for the Ronaldo led Man Utd side that won so much towards the end of the 2000s, he does the small things that allow the stars to flourish.

Kaka- Post Ronaldinho and pre Ronaldo he was the best player in the world. Rapid acceleration meant he could glide past players at ease, he could pick out any pass he wanted and had an eye for the spectacular goal. The key to Milan’s extensive European success, and a Ballon d’Or winner in 2007.

Suarez- Popular…no. Outstanding…yes. As a striker he scores more than once every other game, but his biggest strength is his fantastic work rate and his ability to beat players and create chances for himself and others.

Benzema- For years he was one of Europe’s brightest talents, but when Mourinho helped him realise his potential he became one of the most feared and complete strikers in the world. Given chances he will score goals.

Tactics

A 4-3-3/4-2-3-1 hybrid.

Park is the key to this. His discipline allows me to give Suarez huge freedom from a loose left sided position, and with that freedom I’ll have incredible creativity. Kaka, of course, is the star of my side and most of the play will go through him. At his best he was basically unplayable. He’ll combine with Suarez and those two will mean I’m never short of a chance, and in Benzema I’ve got a striker who guarantees goals when given the opportunity. Suarez will look to work the channel between RB and CB, he’ll create havoc there while Kaka operates in the space in front of the defence, and together with Benzema’s intelligent movement my team has goals in it.

Defensively my midfield gives great protection. Obviously Park’s work rate is unbelievable, and along with Suarez I’ll be able to press right from the front when the opportunity arises. Wilshere’s work rate is also impressive so those 3 in particular will ensure the opposition can never get into their passing game. That means possession should be dominated, especially considering how good Martinez and Wilshere are when I have the ball myself. When that possession forces the opposition deep Wilshere will be encouraged to drift forward and link with Kaka and Suarez.

Dante will be the more aggressive defender and he has the attributes to take on any striker, with Albiol playing a more limited covering role. Richards will be encouraged to push on past Park and those two should have a good partnership, with Park’s discipline compensating for Richards’ attacking instincts. On the other side Alaba will be slightly more restrained but will push on when the situation allows. The Bayern connection in my defence (with Martinez just in front) and an excellent keeper in Reina should mean my defence copes fairly well, although I believe the midfield will be able to nullify a lot of attacks before they get close to my goal anyway.

I have a sound defensive structure, and as my deeper midfielders win the battle for possession Kaka will see more and more of the ball to do what he does best. It’ll be impossible for anyone to take both Kaka and Suarez out of the game and those two will bring great success.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by VQG)
    x
    (Original post by Stu Laverty)
    x
    (Original post by DH1')
    x
    (Original post by pinda.college)
    x
    (Original post by ipoop)
    x
    (Original post by little_wizard123)
    x
    (Original post by Welsh Leprecaun)
    x
    (Original post by samiz20891)
    x
    (Original post by Multitalented me)
    x
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    x
    (Original post by Deshi)
    x
    (Original post by cant_think_of_name)
    x
    (Original post by 419)
    x
    (Original post by Cll_ws)
    x
    (Original post by Louis.)
    x
    The third match between ipoop and louis. has started!

(Sorry but i don't know how to do invisible quotes like abiraleft! )

ReputationRep:
    Will answer properly later but having a quick look Louis's attack is looking dangerous. Apart from VdV I don't think none of iPoop's midfielders/attackers would get into Louis squad.

ReputationRep:
    Has to be Louis for me. His set-up will make this an open game imo, and I think he just has too much fire-power for Ipoop to deal with. 2-1 / 3-2 to Louis I think.

ReputationRep:
    Went with Louis. ipoop's central midfielders are good but the three in the centre aren't great offensively and I think Giovinco, VDV and Cavani isn't a strong enough offensive threat to hurt Louis. I expect Louis' team would control most of the match and win it.

ReputationRep:
    Pretty much agree wth the sentiment. Eventhough Louis's midfield are very attacking, the relative narrowness and lack of firepower in ipoop's attacking collective cohort won't cause him too much problem.

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately ipoop i'm going to have to agree with most of what has been said already. Louis' attack is really strong, it's got everything you need really. A goalscorer, a strong creative attacking-midfielder, and players that will create plenty of chances.

It wasn't a totally straight forward choice as ipoop's defense and midfield together is pretty good, defensively they're a lot stronger than Louis' defense/midfield. I just think that ipoop's team is lacking the firepower to take advantage of that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Deshi)
    Will answer properly later but having a quick look Louis's attack is looking dangerous. Apart from VdV I don't think none of iPoop's midfielders/attackers would get into Louis squad.
    I wouldn't take VDV I don't think, it'd have to be in Park's right sided role and in a side which already has Kaka and Suarez in it VDV would be a bit surplus to requirements, Park offers more. However Cavani would definitely get in, I don't think a lot of people realise how good he is.

(Original post by Abiraleft)
    -
    Can you release the results please? :puppyeyes:

This always builds so much tension :lol:

ReputationRep:
    I wouldn't take VDV I don't think, it'd have to be in Park's right sided role and in a side which already has Kaka and Suarez in it VDV would be a bit surplus to requirements, Park offers more. However Cavani would definitely get in, I don't think a lot of people realise how good he is.

I didn't even see Cavani, but yeah, he's obviously better than Benzema

ReputationRep:

I'd be tempted to take Pique, and drag Albiol out to right back.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kenan and Kel)
    I'd be tempted to take Pique, and drag Albiol out to right back.
    Oh I was just talking about how the two teams compare, would be a bit cheeky to pick someone when we don't know who has won yet

ReputationRep:
    Wow, didn't expect that margin. Unlucky Ipoop, thought Cavani and VDV might have made it closer, and I liked Pique and Koscielny too.

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: April 18, 2013
Poll
Do you like carrot cake?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.