The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
everyones sayin they did bad, you are not alone
ugh,,,,i did bad too i think, i spent some time on the tally chart for goodness sake!............question 2: fly poop? what is with edexcel and poop? the did cow poop last year!...if they want laffs, they aint gettin any!!!!!!!!
Reply 3
yeh i did bad 2......but i seemed 2 b writin a whole load of.....nonsense i also spent ages on the tally i think that was the hardest paper i knew it was going to be because the january one was so easy but the worst thing about the question was that i had the smell effects too because the boy in front kept fartin then lookin round to make sure no1 noticed
ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww
Reply 5
Ahhhh well thz a relief then..i guess:frown:

ugh,,,,i did bad too i think, i spent some time on the tally chart for goodness sake!............question 2: fly poop? what is with edexcel and poop? the did cow poop last year!...if they want laffs, they aint gettin any!!!!!!!!

I know I was sittin there wondering who the hell comes up with questions like this..y wud u wanna look for pollen in someone's ****:mad: ..sorry but it was my first exam..n it went bad bad bad..just got me down!!
Reply 6
yeh i did bad 2......but i seemed 2 b writin a whole load of.....nonsense i also spent ages on the tally i think that was the hardest paper i knew it was going to be because the january one was so easy but the worst thing about the question was that i had the smell effects too because the boy in front kept fartin then lookin round to make sure no1 noticed

lol i really feel for you..first poop and then farting:eek:
Reply 7
it was absolute (pardon the lame pun) SH**!!! i havent talked to one person yet who sez they did gud so i guess we can be satisfied that the grade boundaries are gonna b real low...silver lining..:wink:
It really was a disaster of a paper!

Hey mhawk!
edexcel=poop
Reply 10
W2 pretty much sucked for me too. So since most people find it hard do you guys think that they might lower the pass mark for an A:mad:
Reply 11
What graph did you draw for question 1? Was there supposed to be one graph for each tally table ?
Hey all...
I drew a comparative bar chart showing data from both tally tables in one chart.
What did everyone write for question 1b) I mentioned something about how the information may not be reliable because of the huge range of results and the fact that the experiment wasn't repeated.

Can people post what they wrote for question 2? I mentioned something along the lines of that you would section of a 10mx10m area of grassland and randomly position quadrats. Then within the quadrats you would record the species of plants present and attempt to observe the number of times the fly lands on the flower and attempt to reach for the pollen/nectar. (I forgot to mention how long this would be observed for!) Then a mean frequency for each species of flower would be obtained by looking at the values of 5 other quadrats.

Then I mentioned something about the mark release recapture method and a sweep net to catch the flies and place them in a jar(?!) and wait until they had defecated so you could observe their poo under a microscope. You would compare the pollen present in the droppings to a key of pollen shapes to identify which species of flower it was...

For the graph I said it would be a scatter graph and the test would be a correlational analysis...
Reply 13
For Q 1d I wrote the t-test was flawed coz the data for neither group was normally distributed. Completely messed up the planning and didnt have time to answer the last two.
Reply 14
Sounds like what happened with me in W1 :frown:
Reply 15
I don't do Bio myself, but all my friends who did W2 today said it was a disaster and was definitely the hardest paper they'd ever done. Don't worry, UMS boundaries will be lower than usual since it looks like everyone found it hard :smile:
Reply 16
Edexcel better be lowering down the UMS boundaries. Poo??! How many times do they wanna study that??!
Here 's what i did for Q2.

1. Select an area with 4 flower species
2. Put two tape measures perpendicularly.
3. Along those put hoverfly proof net.
4. Mark a hoverfly and release it.
5. Record the number of visits on each species for 5 hours.
6. Collect its droppings
7. Capture it with a sweep net and wait for 2 more hours for more droppings.
8. Observe the collected poo with the microscope
9. Record number of grains for each species.
10. Repeat with another 7 marked hoverflies at same season and time of the day.
11. Record all your data
12. Return hoverflies where you found them without hurting them ( honestly i would ve played ping pong with the f*****g flies and make them eat their poo!!!)

i think i will loose marks for not having things like tape measure is 5x5 m , and i didn't really state how to collect poo or from where :P
Reply 18
for question 1 they were normally distributed! and the t-test rejected the null hypothesis as t > c.

for question 2 i wrote:

1. observe 3 or 4 individuals of each species for 4 hours and tally the number of visits, then from this obtain a daily visiting frequency
2. place traps along a belt transect across the field and then harvest 40 and collect each one's dookies
3. count the number of each type of pollen in 4 fields of view under a light microscope and use a graticule to determine an average density of each type of pollen grain.

do the spearman's rank test.

further work.
do it in a lab with controlled environment and equal samples of each
conduct the investigation at different times of year as the young may eat other things etc.

limitations.
the act of actually observing the plants for hours may disrupt the localized ecosystem altering the number of visits
time of day/time of year
predators
blah blah

the whole this was very difficult and i found to be a bit vague for the A2 biology syllabus
Reply 19
worst paper ever

Latest

Trending

Trending