Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys & girls,

I would like to pose a question which probably has been asked to death but I would like to ask those who are applying to become a Barrister/ QC or applying for pupillage this year.

How important is it where you earn the Law degree in trying to become a Barrister, does it matter if you are studying in a top 20 university/Russell group or studying in a 65th place university in a league table (guardian for instance)?

Would a first in a poly university weigh heavier than a 2:1 or a 2:2 in a Russell group university?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jiraya Sama)
    Hi guys & girls,

I would like to pose a question which probably has been asked to death but I would like to ask those who are applying to become a Barrister/ QC or applying for pupillage this year.

How important is it where you earn the Law degree in trying to become a Barrister, does it matter if you are studying in a top 20 university/Russell group or studying in a 65th place university in a league table (guardian for instance)?

Would a first in a poly university weigh heavier than a 2:1 or a 2:2 in a Russell group university?

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
    Good question.

If you look at pg. 38 of pupillage survey 2009/10 (link below), you will see that Uni. of Westminster graduates account for 0.9% of successful pupillages (Westminster is ranked 89th). Although this doesn’t sound like a great deal, Durham graduates account for the 5th highest number of pupillages at only 2.6% of all pupillages awarded.

https://www.barstandardsboard.org.uk...in_2009.10.pdf

Personally, I tend to believe that a 1st Class degree from a former poly is better than a 2:1 from a red brick university. (I only managed a 2:1 from Durham).

There are many valid reasons for going to a poly, i.e. closer to home/save money etc.

If I was sifting your application and I saw a first class degree from a poly, I would be concerned with your A-Level results and GDL/BPTC exam grades. In particular, if you scored a top grade on either GDL or BPTC, I would be convinced that your 1st class degree result was not an aberration or the result of shoddy/lenient marking at a less than stellar university, but genuinely deserved.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys & girls,

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
    I think a first would be looked upon favourably by employers if it was from a poly. However, it is rumoured that some firms and chambers blacklist universities in the sense of that they will not look at a fresh graduate from a particular uni with a particular grade. This is perhaps due to the reasoning of A levels and university standard more than quality of degree, but I don't know enough about the finer details of legal recruitment.
    A top 20 uni for law will help in reality your chances of being employed but realistically this is more down to ratios, if higher candidates with better A levels go to these universities they will in turn have a higher chance of meeting the recruitment filters thus enabling them with a better chance of securing a traineeship somewhere. Whereas those at lower uni will not make for example an AAB recruitment filter. Some however may do due to other circumstances like scholarships ect and will stand a good chance of making a filter.
    For example student A & B both have AAB in A levels that are similar ( and GCSE's) one has a 1st from Nottingham Trent the other from Birmingham University also a 1st. Now realistically the 1st candidate may have entry scholarship for his grades and the second candidate has been to a more 'prestigious university. Arguably here the differences are now immaterial and it is down to an interview to separate the candidate.
    However let us assume that Not trent is quite a good uni for law, perhaps then a much lower poly.
    Let us use the birmingham uni candidate again with a 1st but this time use candidate 3 as a Greenwich university grad (sorry greenwich) the candidate has at most BBC-BCC at A level and average GCSE's but has managed to get a first. Will the employer really see this 1st in the same light as the one from Birmingham? Maybe he should but there is also the potential for the degree to have been marked in an advantageous way for candidate 3 or the marking criteria was potentially softer. In which case this candidate will neither make the grade filter, nor will his grade be as recognised as it would from somewhere else.
    Therefore it could be assumed that strong A levels and strong degree will allow greater access to the legal field and that arguably the establishment itself is coincidental to the grade and potential further career.
    Finally I would like rule Oxbridge out of this as I think it creates another level of candidate that is not potentially what the OP is asking about

ReputationRep:
    Thank you guys, and yes I was not referring to an Oxbridge candidate.

Thanks again.

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys & girls,

Please advise.

Thanks in advance.
    An insignificant proportion of pupils from anywhere get a pupillage with a 2:2. It isn't possible to drill down into the figures further but it is probable that most did their degree so long before that it was regarded as irrelevant.

Before the recent expansion of the Russell Group pupillages were pretty evenly divided one third Oxbridge, one third rest of Russell Group, one third the rest.

Barristers' chambers tend to apply a holistic and not a mechanistic approach to deciding who to interview so two people with superficially similar academic performance will get different outcomes as the whole application either clicks or doesn't with the person, usually a junior tenant, reading the form.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.