Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm kind of stuck on this question from the AQA Comp 3 exam style question booklet.

"The number 0111 0010 1011 1101 is stored in two's compliment notation in 16 bits with the most significant 6 bits representing the exponent.

Estimate the magnitude of this number. >232, between 216 and 232, between 22 and 2-2 or <2-2."

The answer is <2-2 but I don't know how you're supposed to know that without working it out? Any help would be appreciated.

ReputationRep:
    You picked the last 6 bits as the exponent?

I'm doing the booklet too, but I thought the MSBs were always the first bits? I picked the first 6 as the exponent and guessed at 'between 2^16 and 2^32' lol....maybe Im wrong

ReputationRep:
    Oh ffs...wait I just looked at it now, I forgot the mantissa is two's complement too -.- yeah you're right because the number is negative :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sienne)
    Oh ffs...wait I just looked at it now, I forgot the mantissa is two's complement too -.- yeah you're right because the number is negative :P
    This might be of some help with practice: http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/A-level..._point_numbers

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.