Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all.

I will be starting a Primary PGCE at the University of Leeds in September. And yes I am a Male

Anyways, I am trying to decide whether or not to commute. I have been able to get hold of a time table for this year and they are basically in Monday to Friday 9-5pm up until Christmas. After that It is basically Work placements until June.

I live approximately 45-60 minutes to the University. Considering the intensity of the work load Im unsure about what I should do.

I am set on getting 1st Class, and with that 9,000 off the Government, Of course I will not be able to have a job during this, and I wanted to put 5,000 of that away towards a house deposit in the near future.

Can I get some advice?

ReputationRep:
    IMO 45-60 mins isn't bad at all. I will be travelling to uni by bus straight from my house it takes about 40 mins but more if traffic i pressume. It depends if it involves the inconvenience of changing buses/trains I guess? I also travel 1 hour to work every day. Placements could also be any where so who knows where that will put me commuting wise!

ReputationRep:
    I currently commute to my university which is about 90 mins drive. However, I am on my maths enhancement course at the moment so I can't give an accurate answer towards the effect on work load. I also car share which is absolutely ideal as we can discuss things and learn from each other, not to mention the substantial decrease in cost!

I do plan on commuting the same distance to university for my PGCE as well, which I'm also hoping to find a car share! However, I am reluctant to move closer to the university because of the varying distances of placements (also it is not exactly my first choice of places to live). So basically, I'm sharing this information with you to show you what I weighed up when making the decision on commuting or moving. If you do decide to commute I strongly suggest searching for a car share

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arran Tasker)
    Hi all.

I will be starting a Primary PGCE at the University of Leeds in September. And yes I am a Male

Anyways, I am trying to decide whether or not to commute. I have been able to get hold of a time table for this year and they are basically in Monday to Friday 9-5pm up until Christmas. After that It is basically Work placements until June.

I live approximately 45-60 minutes to the University. Considering the intensity of the work load Im unsure about what I should do.

I am set on getting 1st Class, and with that 9,000 off the Government, Of course I will not be able to have a job during this, and I wanted to put 5,000 of that away towards a house deposit in the near future.

Can I get some advice?
    I'm doing my PGCE this year, and live around the same sort of time from my university. I'd say it's doable, especially if you want to save for a house deposit, but i'd be saying move closer if you lived any further away than 50/60 mins. Also hopefully your placements are all closer to your house than the university (mine have been, but I dont know what Leeds are like).

Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    I travel over an hour for university now,

I want to move out, however, when I do my pgce as I feel it will be easier and you'll need all the sleep time you can!

Staying at same uni btw!

ReputationRep:
    I travelled for about an hour and a half to get to uni during my PGCE. It wasn't easy but preferable, especially since all of my placement schools were much closer to home, the longest it took me to get to a school was 35 min.

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.