Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I noticed that the UoL external programme awards a shockingly high number of lower seconds and thirds (relative to brick unis) and very rarely awards upper seconds/firsts. So, I was wondering if the OU stats are similarly deviant from regular universities due its distance learning nature.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Elix)
    I noticed that the UoL external programme awards a shockingly high number lower seconds and thirds (relative to brick unis) and very rarely awards upper seconds/firsts. So, I was wondering if the OU stats are similarly deviant from regular universities due its distance learning nature.
    Hi,

the reason for the discrepancy is that a lot of people doing an OU degree claim a degree without honours before going on to claim a degree with honours. This degree is counted as a pass without a classification so bulks up the figures.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by b-brush)
    Hi,

the reason for the discrepancy is that a lot of people doing an OU degree claim a degree without honours before going on to claim a degree with honours. This degree is counted as a pass without a classification so bulks up the figures.
    That could be true, but do you have a source for that? I wonder if the OU similarly awards relatively few 1.1/2.1 class degrees due to its open policy.

ReputationRep:
    There was a discussion about on one of the OU forums I think -You can see them by logging onto to their web site - you don't have to be taking a qualification to reigster- I will check on the web site and get back to you to see if I can find a source

ReputationRep:
    Some people quoted this site

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/

ReputationRep:
    There was a discussion about on one of the OU forums I think -You can see them by logging onto to their web site - you don't have to be taking a qualification to reigster- I will check on the web site and get back to you to see if I can find a source
    If you could provide a link that would be great, thank you in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Some people quoted this site

http://unistats.direct.gov.uk/
    Ah I overlooked this post. Looks like the OU stats are more in line with the general stats and not like the UoL external stats..

ReputationRep:
    That's interesting.

Perhaps it's because London External degrees are graded by the affiliated universities (there are many different ones: LSE, Holloway, Goldsmiths etc.). Perhaps they grade them in parallel with the work of their non-distance learning students. If non-distance learning students on average do a bit better in assignments and exams, then the percentage of 1sts and 2.1s achieved by distance learning students will be skewed towards the lower end.

Whereas the OU is a single organisation, so has full control over grading of all students, and has only distance-learning students, so they are not in direct competition for 1st and 2.1s with non-distance learning students.

And perhaps teaching is better at the OU.

ReputationRep:
    Isn't UoL External the one where you don't get any tutorials or tutor-contact? Just a reading-list and an exam entry form? If so, that could be it.

I've just started with the OU, and I get telephone tutorials, and my work marked, which makes a huge difference to how well I do!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.