Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Why do people who live in rural areas look different than those who live in the city? Watch

ReputationRep:
    I observed that people who live in my local village look different than those who live in the city. What I mean is that their skin and hair looks different. The have blonde/brown hair that looks like the kind of hair upper class people have. The people in the cities have black hair and their faces are less defined. Imagine the chav look. It's difficult to explain what I mean but there's definitely something different genetically about the two groups. It's like the people in the city reproduce without any kind of attention given to what their children will look like.

In the poorer town next to me, the people are short and generally ugly due to interbreeding. I don't get why the people in the first village I mentioned look more attractive and upper class? You may not have noticed this because you probably aren't as observant as I am.

This interests me because I find people with brown/blonde hair attractive. I also observed that the father of a child with blonde/blonde hair has black hair and the mother has blonde hair. The father must have a recessive blonde gene since I always thought black is dominant. Forgive me, my knowledge on genetics is terrible which is why I'm posting this thread.

ReputationRep:
    Everyone in rural areas are all farmers.
    If you live in the city you have a job that requires you to wear a suit or you are part of a gang and own a gun.
    Stereotypes are so accurate.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too keen with genetic dispersion where you live, mainly because you haven't said where.
    However, most of the genes in major cities have been mixed with different races, so the chances of seeing dominant colours (black/brown hair, brown eyes) in people is higher. This doesn't rule out the chances of seeing recessive genes in city people though. This also applies to the less populated regions. You can still see people from smaller areas with dominant genes because ... the name says it all. Also, the chances of meeting people with completely local genes (present or past) is more likely in places where interracial marriage isn't as common.

Overall, its based on the family tree. Its possible to give birth to a blonde hair/blue eyes child even with two brown hair/brown,hazel eyes parents.

ReputationRep:
    This is the strangest thread I've ever seen.

maybe partly to do with genetics and maybe partly do with that fact that most of us who are from the countryside spend all our time outside

ReputationRep:
    Maybe it's got to do something with their income and diet? Poor people don't have the money and time on their 'looks'. They might not even have a healthy diet, plus stress and problems adds up as well. Your post seems to suggest these 'chav'/poor people look different by nature (due to interbreeding) but I would say it's more related to environmental reasons - diet, money, stress.

A girl who is being raised in an upper middle-class family where her hair gets pampered with expensive products and her parents take care in her looks, where she gets pocket money to eat in fancy restaurants once in a while and doesn't cook and generally doesn't have a lot of existential problems to worry about such as money, housing and family will look healthier. I strongly suggest you look beyond someone's looks only.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.