Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I know there's many post sabout this but i guess every case is different and should be treated differently, so here's mine:

I'm an atheist but I have not told my parents yet. They're Muslims. I'm nearly 16 so definitely cannot move out and I doubt my parents would kick me out if I told them I was an Atheist. But I can't seem to find the courage to tell them. I don't know what they'll do to me. They're not really religious until Ramadan time or until something bad happens in the family.
    They've never beaten me but I'm not sure if things will change if I tell them. I just don't want them forcing me to go to the mosque and pray for something I don't believe in or treating me differently to how they treat me now.

This is going to sound really selfish, but I know my brother is an Atheist and he has persistently told them he is but they're too naive to believe it. They constantly say he's "too lazy and just doesn't want to pray." So I'm not sure if they'll be like that to me. (They may treat me differently as I'm very serious about things like this.)
    The selfish part is I try to persuade my mother to accept him whenever we have 1-1 conversations (in hope that she'll accept me.) but she always comes out with "it's just a phase..." "He just doesn't want to pray..."

There's also the problem of other people knowing, I've not told any of my friends as simple secrets I tell them always get let out and I couldn't deal with everyone knowing I'm not a Muslim anymore. (most of my friends are.)
    Also, my closest auntie isn't exactly a fan of converts (I know...) so I don't want things to turn sour with her. But do you think she'll understand and change if she knew I was one?

Should I tell anyone?

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anyone can give you a sure fire yes or no to this.

Ultimately you know your family better than anyone here could, from what you have told us they seem to be handling your brothers Atheism just fine, I see no reason why yours would be different.

Personally I would say tell them, but I just have an attitude of always being honest with people.

Best of luck to you though, I wish you well and hope your family accept your decision with love.

ReputationRep:
    When I was in this situation a long time ago I just cam out with it to my parents and only told my friends if the relevant topic came up. If either had a problem with it then I would have tried to explain my reasoning to them and if they still didn't want to accept it...well tough on them was my attitude. And I did face a couple of problems but my parents were ok with it. Just go for it..or you could wait for a bit. You don't have to tell them especially if they're not forcing you to pray etc.

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes silence is the most political course of action. You don't have to tell them you're either religious or atheist, can't you just say nothing at all? That would be the surest way of them just continuing to treat you the way they treat you now.

ReputationRep:
    If you feel like it would make life too uncomfortable then you don't have to tell them.

I've never been in the situation, but I imagine if I was I'd just let my religion slide to the point where I no longer really practice it, and if they have a real issue with that, then tell them why.

ReputationRep:
    well, you're 16. You depend on these people to survive. You've really got to weigh up how likely this is to blow up in your face - would it not be safer to postpone until you're at an age where you can deal with whatever the reaction is?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TryingToBeAnon)
    I know there's many post sabout this but i guess every case is different and should be treated differently, so here's mine:

I'm an atheist but I have not told my parents yet. They're Muslims. I'm nearly 16 so definitely cannot move out and I doubt my parents would kick me out if I told them I was an Atheist. But I can't seem to find the courage to tell them. I don't know what they'll do to me. They're not really religious until Ramadan time or until something bad happens in the family.
    They've never beaten me but I'm not sure if things will change if I tell them. I just don't want them forcing me to go to the mosque and pray for something I don't believe in or treating me differently to how they treat me now.

This is going to sound really selfish, but I know my brother is an Atheist and he has persistently told them he is but they're too naive to believe it. They constantly say he's "too lazy and just doesn't want to pray." So I'm not sure if they'll be like that to me. (They may treat me differently as I'm very serious about things like this.)
    The selfish part is I try to persuade my mother to accept him whenever we have 1-1 conversations (in hope that she'll accept me.) but she always comes out with "it's just a phase..." "He just doesn't want to pray..."

There's also the problem of other people knowing, I've not told any of my friends as simple secrets I tell them always get let out and I couldn't deal with everyone knowing I'm not a Muslim anymore. (most of my friends are.)
    Also, my closest auntie isn't exactly a fan of converts (I know...) so I don't want things to turn sour with her. But do you think she'll understand and change if she knew I was one?

Should I tell anyone?
    I'm 15 years old, finishing my GCSEs this year and was in the exact same situation as you my friend, a Muslim family tend to value their pride more than anything so they probably won't kick you out, my tactic was to wait until I got good results on my exams, then I just told them like that, they pretend like it never happened but it's a massive weight off my shoulders, just wait for the right moment and do it, in the end it'll be worth it, trust me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure if it'll help you, but here is a post I made a while back about my experience with telling parents about being an Atheist. Granted my parents are probably a little more religious than yours.

ReputationRep:
    You only have 1 post so don't blame me if I find this very suspicious... Judging by the recent wave of dubious "ex-Muslim" threads on TSR only these past few days, it's highly likely you're an Islamophobe masquerading as an ex-Muslim. If this is the case then you are a pitiful human being with no worth whatsoever.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChampEon)
    You only have 1 post so don't blame me if I find this very suspicious... Judging by the recent wave of dubious "ex-Muslim" threads on TSR only these past few days, it's highly likely you're an Islamophobe masquerading as an ex-Muslim. If this is the case then you are a pitiful human being with no worth whatsoever.
    Or based on the issue and his user name he's not posting from his main account?

Do you find it hard to believe that there are people that want to leave Islam?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Or based on the issue and his user name he's not posting from his main account?

Do you find it hard to believe that there are people that want to leave Islam?
    I do indeed find it very hard to believe. I see no issues with Islam and find it to be a beautiful religion. Had I not loved Islam so much, I would've (God forbid) converted long ago.

ReputationRep:

Should I tell anyone?
    If your brother is an atheist and they are handling that well, then you could also tell them your view. However, if your brother is older and lives away from home, it might be politic to say nothing until you are ready to leave home yourself.

ReputationRep:
    I do indeed find it very hard to believe. I see no issues with Islam and find it to be a beautiful religion. Had I not loved Islam so much, I would've (God forbid) converted long ago.
    Well yeah, you're a Muslim. But I can tell you there are plenty of people who leave Islam Don't assume they're a troll or have a subvertive agenda just because of your own bias

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Steevee)
    Well yeah, you're a Muslim. But I can tell you there are plenty of people who leave Islam Don't assume they're a troll or have a subvertive agenda just because of your own bias
    Well clearly a few people do leave every now and then, as is the case with all religions, but the vast majority of them are usually from non-practising families who were never particularly religious in the first place. Take the OP for example, he clearly indicates his family are mere part-time Muslims.

Anyway I'm not one to judge converts because they may have their reasons (of which they will be questioned one day). But yeah, as I said earlier, there have been a couple of these types of threads posted in a suspiciously short space of time, in which case I am entirely justified in thinking the OP is a troll.

ReputationRep:
    Well clearly a few people do leave every now and then, as is the case with all religions, but the vast majority of them are usually from non-practising families who were never particularly religious in the first place. Take the OP for example, he clearly indicates his family are mere part-time Muslims.

Anyway I'm not one to judge converts because they may have their reasons (of which they will be questioned one day). But yeah, as I said earlier, there have been a couple of these types of threads posted in a suspiciously short space of time, in which case I am entirely justified in thinking the OP is a troll.
    There's nothing in the OP's post to suggest it's a troll though. He's not made any particularly bold or damaging claims about his parents or the religion. Merely that he's grown out of it and is worried about whether his parents will accept that decision.

ReputationRep:
    Why must you assume that everyone will share your views? Perhaps OP didn't find the arguments for the existence of God to be persuasive, and is now an agnostic-atheist. Perhaps he found the atheological proofs for the non-existence of God to be so compelling, that he's now a strong atheist. I simply don't know, and neither do you.

ReputationRep:
    I have the same problem. I haven't told them though, but my dad found out and he's fine. Mum would be hysterical, since she's a devout Catholic.
    If you really need to tell someone, then tell them. They are your parents after all. If they don't agree, then they should at least try to understand your decisions. Belief is not something that should be forced on you.
    If you're unsure, then wait for a bit, when it seems most comfortable.
    Good luck though!

ReputationRep:
    The best piece of advice I can give you is to not use the word "atheist"- to me it is a very strong and definitive term that will probably upset your parents having brought you up in a home of faith. Maybe just gently tell them that you're not sure what to believe and would like some time to make up your own mind- they're much more likely to accept this and will respect you for being so honest. And definitely talk to your friends about it- even if it's just one or two people. They may be going through the same thing.

ReputationRep:

Should I tell anyone?
    Don't be afraid of who you are! You should definitely tell them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by elise31)
    The best piece of advice I can give you is to not use the word "atheist"- to me it is a very strong and definitive term that will probably upset your parents having brought you up in a home of faith. Maybe just gently tell them that you're not sure what to believe and would like some time to make up your own mind- they're much more likely to accept this and will respect you for being so honest. And definitely talk to your friends about it- even if it's just one or two people. They may be going through the same thing.
    Good advice... PRSOM

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 16, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.