Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Are these GCSE results good enough for Philosophy and Theology at Oxford? I have been told on numerous occasions that Oxbridge students will have an average of 6 A*'s at GCSE, but I do know that your chances of admissions are heavily reliant on contextual information, and I do go to a grammar school.

History A*
    English Literature A*
    English Language A*
    Geography A*
    Business Studies A*
    Philosophy A*
    Latin A*
    Maths A
    Art A

Triple Science
    BBB

My predictions are higher but I feel they are unrealistic, what is the likely hood of being given an offer? Also, can those who have been given offers tell me what GCSE and AS level scores they have achieved.

Many thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)
    Are these GCSE results good enough for Philosophy and Theology at Oxford? I have been told on numerous occasions that Oxbridge students will have an average of 6 A*'s at GCSE, but I do know that your chances of admissions are heavily reliant on contextual information, and I do go to a grammar school.

History A*
    English Literature A*
    English Language A*
    Geography A*
    Business Studies A*
    Philosophy A*
    Latin A*
    Maths A
    Art A

Triple Science
    BBB

My predictions are higher but I feel they are unrealistic, what is the likely hood of being given an offer? Also, can those who have been given offers tell me what GCSE and AS level scores they have achieved.

Many thanks
    7 A* 2A and 3B is more than good enough for Oxford, don't worry! I'm also considering Philosophy and Theology (as alternative to English) :ahee:

I'm not in sixth form, but if you have a look at the Oxford Applicant Stalking Page 2012 or 2013 (click here), filter it so that only see applicants with offers, you can see AS and GCSE results of the successful.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by laylarose)
    7 A* 2A and 3B is more than good enough for Oxford, don't worry! I'm also considering Philosophy and Theology (as alternative to English) :ahee:

I'm not in sixth form, but if you have a look at the Oxford Applicant Stalking Page 2012 or 2013 (click here), filter it so that only see applicants with offers, you can see AS and GCSE results of the successful.
    Thanks, I must say that link hasn't filled me with much hope, as most of them have done considerably better than I, and have not been given offers. I might set my heart on another university, rather than wind myself with the inevitable rejection letter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)
    Thanks, I must say that link hasn't filled me with much hope, as most of them have done considerably better than I, and have not been given offers. I might set my heart on another university, rather than wind myself with the inevitable rejection letter.
    They have done better than you in terms of GCSE grades, yes, but do remember that GCSE grades are just one of the pieces of information Oxford receives. An applicant may have 12 A* and AAAAAA at AS, but that doesn't necessarily mean they were rejected because of that. The tutors at Oxford most probably thought that they weren't suitable for the course as they lacked the required passion needed to survive it or they may have not done particularly well in their admissions test.

Do watch the beginning of this video. It assured me on my own predicted grades: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LUCiBjdiWO0

And don't say you'll get inevitably rejected! The only way you'll most certainly not get in is if you don't apply at all!

ReputationRep:
    I went on a trip to Somerville College with a couple of people in my class where we looked around the college, met students, had a tour, had an academic debate with some students already there and a introduction to Oxford powerpoint with the woman. (also had lunch in the incredible dining hall! :eek:). I'm only doing 10 GCSE's, and my grades are lower than yours, I'm predicted like 6A*s and 4As or something like that. Except I doubt one of those As will even be a pass at this rate! (GRAPHICS! ), but anyway, they seemed pretty unsnobby about it all. They said that GCSEs were important part of the beginning application, but obviously A levels were more important in most cases (especially where the subject you are applying for was studied). However other than grades it also depends on your enthusiasm for the subject (reading outside of it etc) and how strong your personal statement is. If you make it to an interview they can then see how dedicated they would believe you to be. Where you come from also decides partly upon your chances ie. students from some schools, like mine, which are relatively underachieving, won't be discriminated against for slightly lower grades if that makes sense? Basically they take into account your situation. Also in case you're interested they told us standard A level requirements for subjects (not sure if this is just Somerville, but I would assume all of Oxford Colleges) - For most subjects it is AAA, for Sciences and Econonomics AAA* and for Maths AA*A*.

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, you have to see how A levels go. And don't set your heart on Oxford just for it's reputation or such, my friend felt that it was pretty standard and like other unis, so I guess it depends on your opinion, but ultimately it's about where is right for you! Good Luck though, I know how you feel, I really want to go there, it's incredible - but I'm probably not quite good enough, but as I've said. I'll see how A Levels go and you can rely on enthusiasm and passion as well (I am a huge maths lover! )

Oh, also, you might find this of use (you'll probably know it, but I didn't haha) - extra curricular activities mean nothing to them at Oxford. They don't care what you do like clubs, student union and stuff like most universities. The only thing they care about is supercurricular activities (ie. reading outside your curriculum).

Anyway, hope I helped at least a little!

-Megan
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hayek)
    -Snip-
    Don't worry about how you did at GCSE. Those results might be under average, but they're still going to be better than a significant number of people who get into Oxford. Although Oxford does care more about GCSEs than, say Cambridge, they're not going to reject a potentially outstanding candidate because they only got 7 or fewer A*s at GCSE level. All Universities know that A Level performance is a much better indicator of academic capability than GCSE so whilst it could theoretically make it a little trickier, it definitely won't prevent you from getting in. Obviously, that's not to say that it's going to be easy. Even with excellent A Level results it's still incredibly competitive.

A while ago I saw a graph which showed the number of A*s of successful Oxford applicants (can't find it now) and although it's true that most people had a lot, there were people getting in who had 5 or fewer. I'm fairly certain there was one person who didn't have any.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)

History A*
    English Literature A*
    English Language A*
    Geography A*
    Business Studies A*
    Philosophy A*
    Latin A*
    Maths A
    Art A

Triple Science
    BBB

Many thanks
    Considering you have no Alevels yet your likely hood on an offer is slim, very,very slim.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Chlorophile)
    Don't worry about how you did at GCSE. Those results might be under average, but they're still going to be better than a significant number of people who get into Oxford. Although Oxford does care more about GCSEs than, say Cambridge, they're not going to reject a potentially outstanding candidate because they only got 7 or fewer A*s at GCSE level. All Universities know that A Level performance is a much better indicator of academic capability than GCSE so whilst it could theoretically make it a little trickier, it definitely won't prevent you from getting in. Obviously, that's not to say that it's going to be easy. Even with excellent A Level results it's still incredibly competitive.

A while ago I saw a graph which showed the number of A*s of successful Oxford applicants (can't find it now) and although it's true that most people had a lot, there were people getting in who had 5 or fewer. I'm fairly certain there was one person who didn't have any.
    Below average? They're above average, I was told the average was 6 A* at GCSE, maybe I was misled. Those aren't my results, they're what I think I'll get, my predictions are higher.

What did you get at GCSE? I assume you've been given an offer? Also, do you know what AS scores are preferential?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by upthegunners)
    Considering you have no Alevels yet your likely hood on an offer is slim, very,very slim.
    That was strikingly unhelpful, what I was looking for was some indication of my likelihood of receiving an offer assuming I have strong A's at AS with those GCSE results considered.

How can I have two negative votes? It was a direct question what was there to judge or dislike?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by megz13)
    I went on a trip to Somerville College with a couple of people in my class where we looked around the college, met students, had a tour, had an academic debate with some students already there and a introduction to Oxford powerpoint with the woman. (also had lunch in the incredible dining hall! :eek:). I'm only doing 10 GCSE's, and my grades are lower than yours, I'm predicted like 6A*s and 4As or something like that. Except I doubt one of those As will even be a pass at this rate! (GRAPHICS! ), but anyway, they seemed pretty unsnobby about it all. They said that GCSEs were important part of the beginning application, but obviously A levels were more important in most cases (especially where the subject you are applying for was studied). However other than grades it also depends on your enthusiasm for the subject (reading outside of it etc) and how strong your personal statement is. If you make it to an interview they can then see how dedicated they would believe you to be. Where you come from also decides partly upon your chances ie. students from some schools, like mine, which are relatively underachieving, won't be discriminated against for slightly lower grades if that makes sense? Basically they take into account your situation. Also in case you're interested they told us standard A level requirements for subjects (not sure if this is just Somerville, but I would assume all of Oxford Colleges) - For most subjects it is AAA, for Sciences and Econonomics AAA* and for Maths AA*A*.

I wouldn't worry about it too much yet, you have to see how A levels go. And don't set your heart on Oxford just for it's reputation or such, my friend felt that it was pretty standard and like other unis, so I guess it depends on your opinion, but ultimately it's about where is right for you! Good Luck though, I know how you feel, I really want to go there, it's incredible - but I'm probably not quite good enough, but as I've said. I'll see how A Levels go and you can rely on enthusiasm and passion as well (I am a huge maths lover! )

Oh, also, you might find this of use (you'll probably know it, but I didn't haha) - extra curricular activities mean nothing to them at Oxford. They don't care what you do like clubs, student union and stuff like most universities. The only thing they care about is supercurricular activities (ie. reading outside your curriculum).

Anyway, hope I helped at least a little!

-Megan
    Thanks, I wish I had been able to do something similar. It's almost entirely the reputation that attracts me, that and many of my friends have gone there.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)
    That was strikingly unhelpful, what I was looking for was some indication of my likelihood of receiving an offer assuming I have strong A's at AS with those GCSE results considered.

How can I have two negative votes? It was a direct question what was there to judge or dislike?
    I didn't neg you?

ReputationRep:
    OMFG. HAHAHAHA. YOU FAILED YOUR GCSES AND YOU FAILED AT LIFE. YOU'LL NEVER GET INTO OXBRIDGE UNLIKE ME, I GOT 12 A* AND I'M DID 6 A LEVELS, YOU SUCK, YOU'RE DUMB, YOU WILL FAIL LIFE 4EVER. AND YOU DO ICT, LOL MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT. I GOT A*A*A*A*A*A*. KNOW WHY? BECAUSE IM OXBRIDGE MATERIAL.

Just joking XD... they're good enough don't worry

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)

History A*
    English Literature A*
    English Language A*
    Geography A*
    Business Studies A*
    Philosophy A*
    Latin A*
    Maths A
    Art A

Triple Science
    BBB

Many thanks

They are about the same as a girl in my 6th form who got an offer from Keble for Philosophy and Theology. The important thing is to be passionate about your subject and work to get the best grades possible. Then read loads for your interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)
    OMFG. HAHAHAHA. YOU FAILED YOUR GCSES AND YOU FAILED AT LIFE. YOU'LL NEVER GET INTO OXBRIDGE UNLIKE ME, I GOT 12 A* AND I'M DID 6 A LEVELS, YOU SUCK, YOU'RE DUMB, YOU WILL FAIL LIFE 4EVER. AND YOU DO ICT, LOL MICKEY MOUSE SUBJECT. I GOT A*A*A*A*A*A*. KNOW WHY? BECAUSE IM OXBRIDGE MATERIAL.

What were your GCSEs? And what course did you apply for?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    They are about the same as a girl in my 6th form who got an offer from Keble for Philosophy and Theology. The important thing is to be passionate about your subject and work to get the best grades possible. Then read loads for your interview
    Thanks! Do you know what they were precisely (probably not, don't worry)? I was considering either Keble or St Benets Hall. Did you apply?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheGuy117)

urban dictionary loving

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)
    Thanks! Do you know what they were precisely (probably not, don't worry)? I was considering either Keble or St Benets Hall. Did you apply?
    Urm 7A*s a few As and a few Bs I think...

Ah I applied for Medicine at Jesus, Cambridge. I prefer my chemistry sets to Plato :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Muppet Science)
    Urm 7A*s a few As and a few Bs I think...

Ah I applied for Medicine at Jesus, Cambridge. I prefer my chemistry sets to Plato :holmes:
    And were you successful?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hayek)
    And were you successful?
    Nope :cry2: Ha I got to interview and did fairly well. In the feedback they said that I was just off being pooled, and if I had better UMS (I averaged ~ 88%) they would have given me an offer.

But I got an offer from Cardiff so I'm going to be a doc
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Hayek)
    Below average? They're above average, I was told the average was 6 A* at GCSE, maybe I was misled. Those aren't my results, they're what I think I'll get, my predictions are higher.

What did you get at GCSE? I assume you've been given an offer? Also, do you know what AS scores are preferential?
    According to this source, 58% of successful applicants to Oxford had 8 or more A*s at GCSE in 2008. Taking into account grade inflation and other factors, this will have most likely risen since then.

You've probably been negged for one of two reasons. Firstly, your grades are outstanding compared to what most people could hope to achieve so some people might perceive this thread as showing off (not that it is, some people are pretty unreasonable here). The second, more sensible, reason is that there are already a lot of similar threads of potential oxbridge applicants worrying about GCSE performance and all get the same response: it doesn't have to matter, as long as you perform excellently at A Level, show flair for the subject and have a natural interest.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Study tools

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Thinking about uni already?

Thinking about uni already?

See where you can apply with our uni match tool

Student chat

Ask a question

Chat to other GCSE students and get your study questions answered.

Creating

Make study resources

Create all the resources you need to get the grades.

Planner

Create your own Study Plan

Organise all your homework and exams so you never miss another deadline.

Resources by subject

From flashcards to mind maps; there's everything you need for all of your GCSE subjects.

Papers

Find past papers

100s of GCSE past papers for all your subjects at your fingertips.

Help out other students

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.