Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    The customer service at the MAC store is terrible (I went to the one in Spitalfields, London) why do these women make you feel like you're beneath them?!

On a side note, today I bought my first ever MAC lipstick, went into hoping to buy Diva, left buying Viva Glam III with Vino liner. What was the first MAC lipstick you bought?

ReputationRep:
    I've only ever bought foundation, concealer and powder from MAC so I can't comment on the lipstick but I think most makeup counters are like this. The women are extremely patronizing and I always want to spend as little time there as possible, which is a shame as I love makeup. I tend to read all about the products online and then go and buy them in the shortest time possible.

To be fair though, people who work on makeup counters have quite a bit to be doing whilst serving customers. They have to try to serve you what you want and still persuade you to buy more and then try to show you their newest products. They have to tell you all the benefits of it etc. In the department store where I work, they also have to try and persuade the customer to open a store card, even though their concession obviously has nothing to do with the store. I guess they just go off on their sales routine with each customer and don't really stop to think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    I've only ever bought foundation, concealer and powder from MAC so I can't comment on the lipstick but I think most makeup counters are like this. The women are extremely patronizing and I always want to spend as little time there as possible, which is a shame as I love makeup. I tend to read all about the products online and then go and buy them in the shortest time possible.

To be fair though, people who work on makeup counters have quite a bit to be doing whilst serving customers. They have to try to serve you what you want and still persuade you to buy more and then try to show you their newest products. They have to tell you all the benefits of it etc. In the department store where I work, they also have to try and persuade the customer to open a store card, even though their concession obviously has nothing to do with the store. I guess they just go off on their sales routine with each customer and don't really stop to think.
    I've been to the Lancome counter in John Lewis a couple of times, there was one really lovely woman. But the rest were pretty darn rude, but the MAC service is even worse! I actually wanted to buy more products, but the woman seemed more interested in the (much mature) customers...

I feel like doing the same now, watching vid online and reading reviews. But sometimes you need to try on the make up before buying it, especially now. I want to buy a nude lipstick, and I know 75% of the colours will not suit me.

ReputationRep:
    I do think the staff at some of the MAC counters, and other similar cosmetics counters think they are above you. It's especially prevalent when you're younger, mid to high end brands act as if you're there to piss about and whack a bit of the testers on your face and leave rather than actually buy anything. I'm pretty lucky, here in Birmingham we have a MAC counter in Selfridges and a smaller MAC store tucked away on a back street, the store is literally always so empty so the staff are lovely.

My first MAC lipstick was Ruby Woo but I think I own around 10. I was eyeing up Diva too, but I might opt for Lady Danger for my next one. I don't own any Viva Glam's yet but I bought my friend Viva Glam I for her birthday and it's gorgeous.

ReputationRep:
    I see a lot of this working on a cosmetics counter but we really aren't all like this. I for one will not introduce any product which I know isn't right for you or won't provide any benefit to you. I also know when to drop it! I hate make up shopping for the reasons you have mentioned. Sorry you guys had bad experiences!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by katetaylor)
    I see a lot of this working on a cosmetics counter but we really aren't all like this. I for one will not introduce any product which I know isn't right for you or won't provide any benefit to you. I also know when to drop it! I hate make up shopping for the reasons you have mentioned. Sorry you guys had bad experiences!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    In the department store where I work, there are people who are very good at their job, it's just very hit and miss

There's a kind of unwritten rule that when you see fellow workers on the way in to work or out, or in the toilets or staff room that you at least say hello, even if you've never seen them before. 90% of the staff on counters just absolutely ignore everyone, they move tables away from everyone in the staff room and will sit and *****, literally their entire lunchtime. So I don't think it's just customers they think they're above I've also worked right next to them on the fragrance counters and I used to dread ever having to ask them anything if I needed help in the early days... But like I say, I do think some are great at their job.

Also just to agree with what else has been mentioned about them looking for the maturer customers first - I think that's so true. I feel like if I go in wearing my jeans, Converse and back pack, they look down on me. I have a student loan to spend people! Don't ignore me :rave:

ReputationRep:
    I buy a fair amount of makeup and I feel they always look down on me too I could understand if I was 13 with obviously no cash to spend, but I go in on my lunch break and they still act like they're much better than me.

Just buy stuff online now, irritating as it is, I've had to flog stuff on on ebay because it's not right, whereas if they'd been nice in store I wouldn't have to

ReputationRep:
    I always find MAC counters horrible. I've had good experiences in the stand alone stores in Carnaby Street and the one in Brighton though! Also... I totally recommend Illamasqua. Amazing make-up with amazing customer service. They pretty much love all of their customers and are actively accepting to people from alternative cultures like goths, drag queens etc so everyone is welcome. Yay!

ReputationRep:
    Argh, MAC counters are horrible, I avoid them altogether. I think in the past, I would've spent far more on their products if the women at the counters hadn't been such cows. The store in the Westfield in Stratford is quite pleasant though.

I'm thinking of trying Impassioned.

ReputationRep:
    Erggh I hated my one and only experience shopping for makeup from mac. I had to wait an hour to be served and it wasn't even that busy!! I don't know why I kept waiting and to top it all off the foundation I bought wasn't even that good.
    I know someone that worked in the selfridges I went to. She said that everyone in selfridges disliked the makeup girls as they were so horrible

This was posted from The Student Room's iPhone/iPad App

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by rachel.h)
    In the department store where I work, there are people who are very good at their job, it's just very hit and miss

There's a kind of unwritten rule that when you see fellow workers on the way in to work or out, or in the toilets or staff room that you at least say hello, even if you've never seen them before. 90% of the staff on counters just absolutely ignore everyone, they move tables away from everyone in the staff room and will sit and *****, literally their entire lunchtime. So I don't think it's just customers they think they're above I've also worked right next to them on the fragrance counters and I used to dread ever having to ask them anything if I needed help in the early days... But like I say, I do think some are great at their job.

Also just to agree with what else has been mentioned about them looking for the maturer customers first - I think that's so true. I feel like if I go in wearing my jeans, Converse and back pack, they look down on me. I have a student loan to spend people! Don't ignore me :rave:
    The lunchtime situation is so true. Even I dare not sit with them and I've worked there almost half a year :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ayesha1234)
    Argh, MAC counters are horrible, I avoid them altogether. I think in the past, I would've spent far more on their products if the women at the counters hadn't been such cows. The store in the Westfield in Stratford is quite pleasant though.

I'm thinking of trying Impassioned.
    I haven't been to the Westfield Stratford branch. I was watching some YouTube vids and even the really popular gurus were talking about the bad customer service, surprised MAC being such a big company hasn't tackled this issue yet :rolleyes:. Was thinking of getting 'Kinda Sexy' or 'Velvet Teddy' but opted for a cheaper dupe called 'Mauve it over' by Revlon and it is AMAZING. The perfect nude for my complexion.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    I haven't been to the Westfield Stratford branch. I was watching some YouTube vids and even the really popular gurus were talking about the bad customer service, surprised MAC being such a big company hasn't tackled this issue yet :rolleyes:. Was thinking of getting 'Kinda Sexy' or 'Velvet Teddy' but opted for a cheaper dupe called 'Mauve it over' by Revlon and it is AMAZING. The perfect nude for my complexion.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I just checked it out, it looks good, a tiny bit dark for me though. Is the quality the same/ similar though? I've got fat lips.

ReputationRep:
    I just checked it out, it looks good, a tiny bit dark for me though. Is the quality the same/ similar though? I've got fat lips.
    It doesn't seem dark on my lips, although my lips are quite pigmented . It is very good quality and so suitable for everyday wear, might buy another one to stock up just in case they discontinue it.
    But of course, MAC is just something else, because of the vanilla (all of their lipsticks have vanilla in them, thats what gives the unique smell). But I personally cant afford to buy every shade I fall in love with... This dupe is great.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    It doesn't seem dark on my lips, although my lips are quite pigmented . It is very good quality and so suitable for everyday wear, might buy another one to stock up just in case they discontinue it.
    But of course, MAC is just something else, because of the vanilla (all of their lipsticks have vanilla in them, thats what gives the unique smell). But I personally cant afford to buy every shade I fall in love with... This dupe is great.
    Interesting, I might give it a go. Yeah, it's literally half the price.

Edit: boots are doing a 3 for 2 offer on it btw.
    Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Interesting, I might give it a go. Yeah, it's literally half the price.

Edit: boots are doing a 3 for 2 offer on it btw.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Yeah lol! 3 for 2 mixed items! went crazy and bought 6 things. Nude rimmel scandalous eyeliner, rimmel exaggerate liquid eyeliner and the revlon lipstick. I bought a few no7 products (foundation and make up remover, forgot their names ) and a Maybelline mascara that came free that i generously gave to my sis

When I went to the til this awesome woman gave me one of her coupons that came with her receipts so I got another £4 off the no7 items too.

I'm far too excited, love a bargain.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Khodu)
    Yeah lol! 3 for 2 mixed items! went crazy and bought 6 things. Nude rimmel scandalous eyeliner, rimmel exaggerate liquid eyeliner and the revlon lipstick. I bought a few no7 products (foundation and make up remover, forgot their names ) and a Maybelline mascara that came free that i generously gave to my sis

When I went to the til this awesome woman gave me one of her coupons that came with her receipts so I got another £4 off the no7 items too.

I'm far too excited, love a bargain.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Loool, I love it when that happens. Unexpected bargains <3

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by H0ls)
    I do think the staff at some of the MAC counters, and other similar cosmetics counters think they are above you. It's especially prevalent when you're younger, mid to high end brands act as if you're there to piss about and whack a bit of the testers on your face and leave rather than actually buy anything. I'm pretty lucky, here in Birmingham we have a MAC counter in Selfridges and a smaller MAC store tucked away on a back street, the store is literally always so empty so the staff are lovely.

My first MAC lipstick was Ruby Woo but I think I own around 10. I was eyeing up Diva too, but I might opt for Lady Danger for my next one. I don't own any Viva Glam's yet but I bought my friend Viva Glam I for her birthday and it's gorgeous.
    Where's that?
    I've always been too scared to visit the Selfridges one and tend to just do very extensive internet research and buy online lol. I would like to actually visit a store (if I could get over my intense paranoia of being judged:rolleyes:) and that sounds a little less intimidating.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Daniellejo.)
    Where's that?
    I've always been too scared to visit the Selfridges one and tend to just do very extensive internet research and buy online lol. I would like to actually visit a store (if I could get over my intense paranoia of being judged:rolleyes:) and that sounds a little less intimidating.
    Cannon street, it's the road near Muji and Accessorize. It is so much better, the sales assistants are better than the ones in Selfridges. It's quieter so they spend a bit more time with you, especially when it comes to finding your foundation. They also stock more products, not sure why, but lipsticks like Lady Danger aren't available at concession stands only the proper stores.

ReputationRep:
    i 100% agree with this ive never bought a mac product but would love to but tbh im clueless where to start! so i find the staff very intimidating so i never bother going to the stall and its too risky too order online when youre not entirely sure what you want

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.