Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Ambition is the best form of contraception. Watch

ReputationRep:
    Saw this headline the other day, wholeheartedly agree.
    I think if young people were given more reason to have ambition and motivation there would be a lot less teenage pregnancy.
    What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Or more abortion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kdranginis)
    I think if young people were given more reason to have ambition and motivation there would be a lot less teenage pregnancy.
    What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Oh TSR. :facepalm2:

ReputationRep:
    I don't think anybody should consider having a baby at an early age 'giving up on life' if thats what your suggesting?

ReputationRep:
    Nope, fat chicks are.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WJB440)
    I don't think anybody should consider having a baby at an early age 'giving up on life' if thats what your suggesting?
    I'm not saying giving up on life.
    I'm saying with a good sense of ambition people are more likely to be a lot more careful. And less likely to settle into domestic life early, which I see a lot of where I live, people leave/drop out of 6th form, have a baby and settle: IMO missing out on further education, training, travelling etc (which yes you can do with a baby, but it's a lot trickier)

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I'm saying with a good sense of ambition people are more likely to be a lot more careful. And less likely to settle into domestic life early, which I see a lot of where I live, people leave/drop out of 6th form, have a baby and settle: IMO missing out on further education, training, travelling etc (which yes you can do with a baby, but it's a lot trickier)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Aaaaaaaah okay, I thought you were saying that the 'ambitious' would be abstinent, kind of like the whole "my child plays the saxaphone and gets straight As she would NEVER have sex before marriage" kind of stereotype. What you've said makes more sense.

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    It depends largely on what one considers as success. And if the person who had a child early really was ambitious then they would surely do both as dedication includes achieving your intended goal no matter the problems encountered.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by A Mysterious Lord)
    Nope, fat chicks are.
    Really?

ReputationRep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
    100% agree

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kiss)
    Really?
    Probably not, it sounded clever when I put it

ReputationRep:
    I think it's more true for girls than boys. Given that it's ultimately women who decide whether they have a baby, and career women tend to get married/have children later on in life, it's their ambition which decreases pregnancy. Ambitious guys won't stop having sex (arguably they'll try to have more than a demotivated guy), and although they might put pressure on their partner to have an abortion, ultimately it's the woman's choice.

ReputationRep:
    What ambition would you have if you lived on a council estate, your dad was unemployed (last time you saw him), your mum had never had a job and its the norm to get 2 D's at your school.

I went to what I considered a rubbish school. To do well was going against the grain, you'd get bullied if you put effort in.

I think its a combination of things, but the lack of ambition is also a symptom. Its a symptom of having a **** childhood, with parents that don't care, roll models that consist of jobless unambitious people and general lack of anything to aim for.

For kids on estates, 'what do you want to be when your older' is frequently responded with 'have kids and get myself a council house'. Hell, its hard enough getting a job with a degree, A-levels, GCSEs and experience these days. Having a kid and getting on benefits is a reasonable ambition.

*our society is ****ed*

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hopple)
    I think it's more true for girls than boys. Given that it's ultimately women who decide whether they have a baby, and career women tend to get married/have children later on in life, it's their ambition which decreases pregnancy. Ambitious guys won't stop having sex (arguably they'll try to have more than a demotivated guy), and although they might put pressure on their partner to have an abortion, ultimately it's the woman's choice.
    That's just because men don't have as much of a choice. If men had a choice, the less ambitious ones would have children at an earlier age too. Remember men and women have just as much sex as each other.

ReputationRep:
    The promiscuious society we see now = pathetic.

The society as it was in the past where women MARRIED young (in their teens) and had kids was BETTER .

*BUT* it should be up to a woman what she wants to do. They are NOT mutually exclusive. Many ambitious women are mothers and consummate proffesionals.

ReputationRep:
    Lol at everyone saying 'have more sex' 'get more sex'. What is this a game of how many people you can impregnate ?

With sex it's QUALITY, not QUANTITY. Commitment > 'modern' 'so called liberated' 'promiscuity'

ReputationRep:
    What do you think?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    thats just covering it up... youre curing the symptom (if that) not the illness...

campaigns need to be made to raise awareness to teaching teens to stop being idiots and actually think. no, this doesnt mean making a campaign and then giving up, no this doesnt mean making sure all parents 'see' this but not give a ****, no this is not about getting a few teens in the country to understand, etc

this is about making a campaign and sticking through to get as many parents to see AND understand that they need to step up with raising, this is also about getting as many teens to step up and start thinking, two audiences. and this cannot be just for this generation, this needs to continue for all future generations...

campaigns like this need to make cultural changes

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)

The society as it was in the past where women MARRIED young (in their teens) and had kids was BETTER .

*BUT* it should be up to a woman what she wants to do. They are NOT mutually exclusive. Many ambitious women are mothers and consummate proffesionals.
    Yes, how pathetic that people have a choice about who they sleep with and marry. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MENDACIUM)

-nothing wrong with being promiscuous, issue is disease, pregnancy and understanding what youre getting yourself in to. etc

-teen marriage and getting kids? explain to me how that is better...essentially older kids getting married to have more kids :facepalm: what is better is making sure the majority of people who do get married are mature enough to understand marriage and those who have kids are mature enough to have them, ideally after marriage and being planned.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tyrion_Lannister)
    Yes, how pathetic that people have a choice about who they sleep with and marry. :rolleyes:
    I never once said people should have no choice.

I simply asserted that promiscuity is one of the weeds of modern society. Teenage pregnancy stems from wild promiscuity. Inability to appreciate a relationship, bailing when the going gets tough, unable to hold commitment and being desensitized, being too picky, all result from promiscuity.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.