Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    hey..I'm 19 and I'm really pissed off with myself right now. All of my good mates can do everything, but there's me struggling and it's really frustrating me.

Why is it that when I try to go to the bottom of a 1.8m pool, I'm not going anywhere?? I'm just struggling to get down just a little bit, then I'm exhausted from doing that so I don't even get very far..

Also, why is it that I can't swim on my front above the water very fast. I get really tired after a few metres...and water is going in my face and everything..and my mates just win races all the time :\

Another question: How do you really blow rings at the bottom of the pool? Honestly I can only get to the bottom and on my back (and it's not even really flat on the floor cuz I cant make it to the bottom..it forces me up...) after blowing most of the air out of my mouth (if I blow all of it out, I feel I can't even go under..) and today I tried just blowing but it was just messed up bubbles and I couldn't even stay down for long..like 10 seconds..and my mate was down for like 40 seconds. I'm getting really angry with myself :\ There must be a simple way that it can be done...I just don't know what's wrong with me...I'm just fearing the water all the time............

Any help? :\

ReputationRep:
    Anyone? :\

ReputationRep:
    Getting lower in the pool - some people are just naturally more buoyant than others I'm afraid, but here's one thought. Do you know how to equalise your ears? You may find that doing that as you try to go down will help you to get down to the bottom of the pool.

Swimming on your front - do you use goggles? I found it much easier to cope with water in my face once I started swimming with goggles. Once you're comfortable with water in your face it's just a matter of exposure and stroke practice, there's no magic way to improve without it.

ReputationRep:
    Nope im not sure how to do that? I just seem to struggle to get to the bottpm? Its not fear, its just force stopping me but I habe no clue what it could be.

Also, can you swallow saliva underwater? And about the other questoons? Thx

Soz for the mistakes, phones acting up

Ugh ://

ReputationRep:
    Okay, to equalise, when you're trying to get down, hold your nose with your fingers and blow through it gently (whilst holding it shut). If you try it now, you will feel a change of pressure in your ears. Try it underwater and hopefully you will find you can get down deeper.

No idea if you can swallow saliva underwater, or how to blow rings, I don't think I've ever tried. Could you get your friends to teach you?

Sounds to me as though you need to get a bit more confidence in the water and trying to do that with your friends is just having the opposite effect. Try goggles, and maybe think about some adult swimming lessons to help you overcome your fear, if you can find anything of an appropriate level.

ReputationRep:
    Oh cool! so you do that underwater and you'l be able to go much deeper?

ReputationRep:
    Why are you trying to get to the bottom anyways haha? (Just curious) but yeah like the other poster said it is just to do with buoyancy. Just keep trying, you'll get there eventually

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by FrozenBeak)
    Oh cool! so you do that underwater and you'l be able to go much deeper?
    More that you get rid of that feeling of discomfort that may be stopping you going deeper. It's not going to make any difference to how long you can hold your breath for though

ReputationRep:
    What stroke are you trying to swim down with?

ReputationRep:
    like downwards breaststroke i guess? :/
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    When I want to reach the bottom, I sometimes keep my hands by my side and kick my way down (this might not work). The underwater breaststroke is normally the way to do it - how are you kicking your legs? Is it the breaststroke kick or another way?

As someone above said, goggles really help - I cannot swim for the life of me if I don't have goggles because I've grown up wearing them when I swim!

ReputationRep:
    I use goggles :\ This is the thing, I honestly don't know whats stopping me. I just seem to be staying on the surface of the water trying to fight my way down to the bottom. I just get a bit down, but it's very difficult. It's only 1.8m too :\ I dont get it :\ I kick my legs like a scuba diver I guess. and breast stroke down :\

ReputationRep:
    I use goggles :\ This is the thing, I honestly don't know whats stopping me. I just seem to be staying on the surface of the water trying to fight my way down to the bottom. I just get a bit down, but it's very difficult. It's only 1.8m too :\ I dont get it :\ I kick my legs like a scuba diver I guess. and breast stroke down :\
    Maybe you just have too much air in your lungs, you could try getting used to pretty much emptying your lungs as you swim down, maybe even just breathing out with your face under water to start with just to get used to how it feels.

ReputationRep:
    Maybe this is it, but then my friends take a deep breath when they go down, and they seem to be alright. I'm not really sure if they are breathing out on the way down though, because usually im trying to get myself down -.-

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by iCiaran)
    Maybe you just have too much air in your lungs, you could try getting used to pretty much emptying your lungs as you swim down, maybe even just breathing out with your face under water to start with just to get used to how it feels.
    If I breathe out totally and go under, I can sit at the bottom for like 10 seconds, but then I have to come up. How can you increase the time?? If I hold my breath right now for instance, I could probably do 1.20 - 1.40. Why not in the water???

ReputationRep:
    If I breathe out totally and go under, I can sit at the bottom for like 10 seconds, but then I have to come up. How can you increase the time?? If I hold my breath right now for instance, I could probably do 1.20 - 1.40. Why not in the water???
    Could be just that when you hold your breath here you're just sitting still, but when you try in a pool you have to move quite a lot to get yourself to the bottom.

You could also try kicking off from the side of the pool and the aiming down (can't really phrase that better), basically putting the force from kicking off the side all into moving down.

ReputationRep:
    Could be just that when you hold your breath here you're just sitting still, but when you try in a pool you have to move quite a lot to get yourself to the bottom.

You could also try kicking off from the side of the pool and the aiming down (can't really phrase that better), basically putting the force from kicking off the side all into moving down.
    Could try that, but it'd be nice to know why I cant do normal dives

ReputationRep:

Question. I bought a snorkel mask today, we are allowed these in the public swimming pool right? Obviously perhaps not the snorkel, but the mask is absolutely fine - just like a pair of goggles, except it helps with the nose and breathing. It's not like they are banned or anything no?

ReputationRep:
    Not usually, in my experience. I doubt anyone will turn a hair. Spit in it then rinse it out, to stop it fogging up (old diver's trick).

ReputationRep:
    Reminds me of, me.
    I've been swimming for 8/9 years - intensively only for 4/5 years,
    The first 5 years basically consisted of me being afraid/fear/couldn't swim/couldn't go anywhere then finally I decided that I'm going to stop being an idiot and try my hardest and gradually after loads of practise swimming is something I love
    - in fact if you ever stalk my TSR posts it's probably a topic I somehow always manage to include :P

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.