Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I had someone harassing me off a number a few months ago, I was told it was a guy I knew in my class. Now, my friend said she had a new number, shockingly, it matched my harasser's number. She claims it wasn't her harassing me and this number of hers is brand new. Is it possible that my harasser had a number, somehow got rid of it, and she ended up with this number? Or is she lying and it's been her the whole time? We have a small class and it seems too weird for 2 people in the same class to have ended up with the same number in the space of 4 months.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, phone numbers are quarantined for a period of 6 months after disconnection. Once those 6 months have passed they can be used again.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    (Original post by Magenta96)
    I had someone harassing me off a number a few months ago, I was told it was a guy I knew in my class. Now, my friend said she had a new number, shockingly, it matched my harasser's number. She claims it wasn't her harassing me and this number of hers is brand new. Is it possible that my harasser had a number, somehow got rid of it, and she ended up with this number? Or is she lying and it's been her the whole time? We have a small class and it seems too weird for 2 people in the same class to have ended up with the same number in the space of 4 months.
    It would make sense for them to recycle as there is a limited no. of numbers. I had someone texting me and was like who is this - turned out it was their friend's old number...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by natninja)
    It would make sense for them to recycle as there is a limited no. of numbers. I had someone texting me and was like who is this - turned out it was their friend's old number...
    but is it really likely that the apparent harasser and my friend both in the same class would have the same number? On my iPhone I have the harasser's messages saved and now when my friend texts me, it comes in the SAME iMessage chatbox. I just want to know for sure tbh so I don't go and confront her randomly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ExWunderkind)
    Yes, phone numbers are quarantined for a period of 6 months after disconnection. Once those 6 months have passed they can be used again.
    but is it really likely that the apparent harasser and my friend both in the same class would have the same number? On my iPhone I have the harasser's messages saved and now when my friend texts me, it comes in the SAME iMessage chatbox. I just want to know for sure tbh so I don't go and confront her randomly.

ReputationRep:
    The chances are improbable but not impossible.

ReputationRep:
    Also, apparently they're recycled after inactivity, I had the harasser's number saved and they WERE active as they changed their whatsapp message every week

ReputationRep:
    Yes, but very unlikely that 2 people in the same class like that. But don't do anything bad to her before you are 100% certain. I'm sure you could ask the network about it.

ReputationRep:
    Also, apparently they're recycled after inactivity, I had the harasser's number saved and they WERE active as they changed their whatsapp message every week
    Don't base anything off whatsapp :facepalm:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by CodeJack)
    Yes, but very unlikely that 2 people in the same class like that. But don't do anything bad to her before you are 100% certain. I'm sure you could ask the network about it.
    so if I was to ring the network, should I just say something like has this number 077... etc been issued to anybody else within the last 6 months? Or would they say that's customer confidentiality or something? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    so if I was to ring the network, should I just say something like has this number 077... etc been issued to anybody else within the last 6 months? Or would they say that's customer confidentiality or something? Thank you.
    explain the harrasment situation and they are more likely to help you because what happens with that number is under their t's&c's so they would want to find out.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources

Quick link:

Unanswered mobile phones threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.