Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi, I've applied to do Business & Management at Aston University, on their website they've stated:

"Aston Business School graduates can claim exemptions from the examinations of a number of professional bodies. Exemptions are dependent upon the options you have followed.

At present exemptions are available from:

• Association of Chartered Certified Accountants
    • Chartered Institute of Marketing
    • Chartered Institute of Management Accountants
    • Association of International Accountants"

What does this exactly mean? Also, is it possible to become an accountant with a Business and Management degree? The reason I am not doing an Accounting or Finance degree is that I have not studied Accounting, Economics or Maths at A Levels and only have a C in GCSE maths so I wouldn't have got any conditionals however I prefer the financial and economical aspects of business and would like to become an accountant. Is it possible with a Business and Management degree if I chose all financial modules? And what masters will I be eligible to take with this degree?

All feedback is appreciated, and sorry is this is a stupid question. Thanks

The exemptions part means that if you did do the Accounting or Accounting & Finance degree, some of your university module exams would be the same as exams needed to qualify for the things you've listed above, and therefore you wouldn't have to do them again.

I think it's very possible to be an accountant with a business and management degree, especially if you pick financial modules. I've applied to do Business & Management next year and am also hoping to end up in some sort of financial career. There will obviously be a lot of competition from people who have studying Accounting/Finance/Other more maths based degrees, so I think it would be a good idea to make sure you pick financial modules and also get experience/internships in accountancy whilst you're doing your degree to help you get a job afterwards.

You can leave school at 16 and train to be an accountant, or do an apprenticeship, so I'm sure it's possible to go into accountancy after a Business & Management degree

Out of interest, if you only got a C at GCSE maths, and didn't choose maths a level, why is it that you are so eager to go into accountancy? Are you sure that's what you want to do?
Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 23, 2013
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.