Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to do deal with friendships that just don't work? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Ever had a situation where you wanted to be friends with somebody, and tried to make it work, but just cannot get over an awkwardness in so doing?

I feel as though I have made an effort with somebody at work (another lad) whom I really respect (although quite a bit younger than me) but it just doesn't seem to be working. It's not that the effort isn't reciprocated, it's just that both of us seem weird and awkward in each other's presence.

I feel it has something to do with the age gap; we have things in common, but not social stuff, which makes social occasions such as meeting down the pub for a quick pint a little strange, when really it shouldn't be strange.

I can accept that I am more to blame than my friend, as I am out of practice of this kind of thing, yet other people find me more bearable, so it cannot all be me.

By now, I think I am embarrassed to continue making an effort in a friendship that doesn't work. How do I go about shying away from it?

ReputationRep:
    Sometimes thebonly thing you can do is to stop trying and it happens naturally. Hopefully. worked a couple of times for me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenforever)
    Sometimes thebonly thing you can do is to stop trying and it happens naturally. Hopefully. worked a couple of times for me.
    I am pretty certain that if I stopped making an effort with this guy, then I would never hear from him again, so it won't improve the friendship.

Yet I am just feeling a sense of failure and embarrassment as I feel I have let my guard down to this person in a small way; I am not normally known as sociable, yet because I respect this guy so much I found things to relate to and talk about.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Isambard Kingdom Brunel)
    I am pretty certain that if I stopped making an effort with this guy, then I would never hear from him again, so it won't improve the friendship.

Yet I am just feeling a sense of failure and embarrassment as I feel I have let my guard down to this person in a small way; I am not normally known as sociable, yet because I respect this guy so much I found things to relate to and talk about.
    Dont worry about it, honestly, i wouldnt want a friend that doesnt make the effort back,which is the impression im getting. Honestly stop trying to make it work, more try and imply within your conversations that youre worth the effort on his part. Maybe mention your other friends from another social circle, might make him jealous to a minor degree. Things like that will eventually make him more willing to make conversation.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.