Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Am I allowed to copy and paste sentences from my old essays into my current coursework? The topics are really similar and I like what I've written on my old essays (the old essays weren't formally graded or anything).

ReputationRep:
    It can count as self-plaigarism, so often no.

However, if the previous work wasn't "formally graded", wasn't submitted to a plaigarism checker, and was formative (ie. doesn't contribute to your final mark) then it's unlikely you will be caught or seriously punished.

I can only recall the one occasion from my time as an undergraduate when this was allowed. It was for a five thousand word project and we'd previously done a 1,500 formative essay. The purpose of the formative essay was to "test out" ideas for the project, and we were allowed to copy as much as 100% of the formative essay into the final project.

I still recommend you don't do this as, even if you don't get caught, it is still poor practice in my opion (unless the formative work was designed to "test out" initial ideas, as in the case above). Can't you find a way of developing the points you've made in previous essays?

But ultimately get advice from your departent.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by River85)
    It can count as self-plaigarism, so often no.

However, if the previous work wasn't "formally graded", wasn't submitted to a plaigarism checker, and was formative (ie. doesn't contribute to your final mark) then it's unlikely you will be caught or seriously punished.

I can only recall the one occasion from my time as an undergraduate when this was allowed. It was for a five thousand word project and we'd previously done a 1,500 formative essay. The purpose of the formative essay was to "test out" ideas for the project, and we were allowed to copy as much as 100% of the formative essay into the final project.

I still recommend you don't do this as, even if you don't get caught, it is still poor practice in my opion (unless the formative work was designed to "test out" initial ideas, as in the case above). Can't you find a way of developing the points you've made in previous essays?

But ultimately get advice from your departent.

Thanks for the reply! It wasn't really to test out ideas, but the topics are almost identical so it's a little frustrating. I'll check with the department thanks!

ReputationRep:
    It's only a real problem if you've already received credit that counts towards your degree from that work. There is always the option of rewording what you wrote; I did this a lot in essays, reading paragraphs and then writing them again in my own words (as some academic papers just explained things so brilliantly that it made sense to me at the time).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.