Turn on thread page Beta

(Original post by Peapod)
    Becuase it's in Wales.
    They shoot cats there.
    Bah!
    Hey, dogs were always better than cats anywayz

ReputationRep:
    If I wasn't absolutely adamant on going to London, I would have definitely, DEFINITELY picked Cardiff as my first choice for English. It's a lovely city & a reasonable distance from home (2 hours drive) and a great university and.. a brilliant english department. But london calling, you know!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sparkler)
    cardiff is hardly like the rest of wales though

trust me!!

how so?

ReputationRep:
    No.

ReputationRep:
    Well what I do know is that Cardiff is the uni where most Bruneians go to... which is not exactly a compliment to the uni....

I feel bad for saying that, but it's true.

(Original post by lilsunflower)
    Well what I do know is that Cardiff is the uni where most Bruneians go to... which is not exactly a compliment to the uni....

I feel bad for saying that, but it's true.
    What's so bad about Bruneians? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by carldaman)
    I love Cardiff. It's such a friendly and vibrant city, and the Euros department at Cardiff is one of the best in its class for languages and politics. I've applied to do French and Politics, but have been selected for interview for a two year placement at Sciences-Po, Frances leading politics Uni in Bordeaux. Sun, sea and sand as well as world-class teaching? Here I come!
    i have also applied for french and politics (is it called 'european studies' or is that a different course?) but thought warwick had better prestige..having to choose between bath, cardiff and warwick and its very hard!

ReputationRep:
    undefinedundefinedundefined

Cardiff is a wonderful city! I hadnt even dreamed of applying there if it hadnt been recommended from a friend of mine. And even though she was bias towards it, it didn't take me long to support her views. After the Open Day, i knew for definite Cardiff is the right city and uni for me. And the advantage of that is, its top for Optometry degree - which is what i applied for.

Regarding the recognition, if you're doing a degree which leads to immediate job prospects, increasing number of country's top employers/companies are now seeking graduates from Cardiff University. Therefore, it shows, how Cardiff uni is now being recognised and its about time!

ReputationRep:
    Cardiff - probably the best university in the world!

ReputationRep:
    I've got a friend at Cardiff. Whilst he loves the uni... he is already finding the city a bit on the small side and he is only approaching the end of his first year.

ReputationRep:
    i went to visit my friend who went there, very intelligent guy, did philosophy and we had two great nights out in the union which has a pretty decent club as unions go!

ReputationRep:
    I overlooked Cardiff as I didn't consider any Welsh Universities.

However, I'm gutted now as both of my best friends who did re-takes are going there now!

ReputationRep:
    Sorry for bringing up an oldish thread but I had to contribute to say how great Cardiff is! I went to the open day a couple of months ago and I loved it. The uni is so nice and the city is great! The uni is like a 2 minute walk from the highstreet and the millennium stadium and the castle, and the student union is great. I went to Cardiff again for the play off final and once again had a great time. I'm probably going to apply there for English.

ReputationRep:
    most people in my year applied to Cardif as a filler choice but there wern't that many people that actually took up the offer and i'm not really sure why. The place seemed lovely but for me i disguarded it because the course wasn't what i really wanted.

ReputationRep:
    Do you think that it matters that much about when the universities stand in the league tables? Its just that when i applied the college i'm at now it has such a bad reputation for education and still has, however, for my AVCE i have managed to get 10 A's and 1D so far.

What do you think? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Whats_The_411?)
    Do you think that it matters that much about when the universities stand in the league tables? Its just that when i applied the college i'm at now it has such a bad reputation for education and still has, however, for my AVCE i have managed to get 10 A's and 1D so far.

What do you think? :rolleyes:
    Degrees are completely different to GCSEs and A levels. Whereas the quality and level of GCSEs and stuff is standardised across the UK (meaning that an A in A level maths is an A in A level maths regardless) degrees aren't- a degree from somewhere like LSE will be harder and much more respected than a degree from TVU.

Also, employers do place an emphasis upon a university's position in the league tables- going to a good uni will enhance your employment prospects.

So whilst I'd argue that whilst positions in league tables are not the be all and end all (especially if we're talking a couple of places or so) they are quite important. :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I absolutely love Cardiff and I can't imagine going to uni anywhere else. To be honest when I sent my application off I wasn't really considering coming here because I'd set my heart on going to Nottingham, but when I got offered an interview at Cardiff and came down I just fell in love with the place.

When I went to Nottingham for my interview they really put me off the place. People at my school thought I was mad for turning down offers from Nottingham and Manchester for Cardiff, especially the ones who had been rejected from Nottingham and Manchester themselves but I believe I definitely made the right decision.

I think for some English people there's a stigma attached to Wales. I remember these girls in my year laughing when I said I was going to Cardiff, they themselves were going to Derby, which they talked about like they were going to Oxford :rolleyes:

Cardiff has lots of strong departments, it's first in the country for Optometry isn't it? Or close to the top anyway. And it's also been hovering around the top spots in my subject, pharmacy, for the past few years at least too. I’m not sure about any other subjects but I’m sure it’s up there in a lot.

Apart from also having really good teaching standards I think it's pretty much an excellent student friendly city, the union is supposedly one of the best in the country, the city centre is both great for shopping and going out in, you can walk pretty much anywhere you like and it’s pretty cheap to live compared to the other main cities in the UK.

But yeah I think a lot of people do overlook Cardiff, they should at least come and look at the place but making up their minds though, cause they might just see how amazing it really is.

And what’s this about shooting cats?! *LoL* the Talybont cat must be the best fed cat in the whole of the UK!

ReputationRep:
    Talybont cat! Frankie! At least I call him Frankie. Loads of people feed Frankie, he visits our flat sometimes and I give him tuna. I don't know what he does over the summer, but he's been here for years so he must have a backup place to live or something... He's outside sunbathing right now. Aww.

ReputationRep:
    Awww bless him! Yeah me and my friend were worrying about what he's gonna do over the summer when everyone goes home *LoL*

ReputationRep:
    In quite a sad fashion I even have a picture of him, one of my flatmates had got this sleeping bag out for him to lie on and everything...

http://img30.photobucket.com/albums/...n/DSCN0297.jpg

students online now

800,000+

Exam discussions

Find your exam discussion here

Poll
Should universities take a stronger line on drugs?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.