Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Would you settle down with another ethnic background? Watch

Would you see yourself settling with someone from another country, e.g. in the long run, assume the physical attraction is there and you two care for one and another.

ReputationRep:
    world is so international and diverse now, especially in places like London. With the selection of people on offer from all over the world, think it's crazy to limit yourself to just someone born in same country/race/social background as you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Would you see yourself settling with someone from another country, e.g. in the long run, assume the physical attraction is there and you two care for one and another.
    Big difference between settling down with someone of a different ethnic background who lives in the same place as you and settling down with someone who actually lives in another country.

Personally I would do neither since I do not wish to settle down. Seems a bit boring.

ReputationRep:
    Even though I'm half black, half white, people expect me to date black men. I'm not really into black men anymore. I am attracted to white men and biracial men, usually. It's not really dating another ethnicity, but some people may count it as such.

I remember, from a young age, wanting to marry a biracial man so our whole family would be biracial and we'd never feel alone

ReputationRep:
    Wouldn't mind about race (I do feel more attracted to my own race, but I think that's natural - you can't help your preferences, and for some people it's the opposite).

Factors that might indirectly come with it;

- I'd find moving to another country a bit daunting.
    - I don't know if I could marry anyone religious. We would just be too different, and I don't want my kids brainwashed. That includes Christianity, but Christianity is a little better because I was brought up with it and understand it in detail. Buddhism would be fine.
    - I think my parents would be a little bit shocked, but they could get over it. I was getting on well with a chinese boy once, and my Dad eventually came out with "I'd love to have lots of little chinese grandchildren running around, they'd be so sweet". Out of nowhere.

ReputationRep:
    Yes because I'm not a racist.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Why not? Race/place of birth doesn't matter.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JagSan)
    Yes because I'm not a racist.
    Is it racist not to find some races attractive? If it is then I am guilty.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    Good gosh meenu89 i expected better from you :eek:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by meenu89)
    There's conscious and subconscious. If you don't find someone attractive because of their race but it's just how you feel and you don't know why, then it's not that bad. But if the situation is you like someone but consciously don't do anything BECAUSE of their race, then yeah that's racist.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not too worried about race. Can't be racist after all.
    Dad is White and mum is Asian, but I ended up looking more Asian. People here made fun of me because I didn't and never will look like my dad at all (blonde hair/hazel eyes). However, mum's really into Asian guys, and I'm not.
    I'm currently in a relationship with a guy from South England and hopefully it'll last.

ReputationRep:
    Some, and some I just don't find attractive.
    • Welcome Squad

Welcome Squad
    Yes. I mean appearance wise there's so much variety and differences in individual ethnicities, that I don't think I could reject people belonging to certain ethnic backgrounds etc.

ReputationRep:
    From another country? Well I don't mind whether they were born here or not. As long as they're not fresh off the boat and are culturally progressive, then it'd be fine.

ReputationRep:
    As long as she didn't expect me to sacrifice my own culture or bring my children up as anything other than English

ReputationRep:
    Of course, why wouldn't I? Given mutual physical and personal attraction is present.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: April 15, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Brexit voters: Do you stand by your vote?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.