Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Breakfast Ideas Whilst Maintaining Calorie Intake? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys, wondering if you could give me some advice? Basically for the past four months I have been unemployed so whilst job hunting and with free time I've had a complete lifestyle overhaul. I've changed my attitude to food and been going the gym and running regularly. To date I have lost over a stone.

I start a new job today (yay) which is going to be five days a week, day shifts. I've been using my fitness pal to monitor my calories and my intake is 1200 a day. Whilst unemployed it was easy to keep to my calories, now that I have a job I don't want to fall off the wagon and put weight back on.

Was wondering if anybody had any healthy breakfast ideas that will keep me full until lunch? Normally I just have cereal but that only keeps me full for about an hour and a half and it will be a long wait until lunch in work.

I've had cereal this morning at 7:30 when I woke up, and I plan to have a banana before I leave the house at 9:00. That should keep me going until lunch but does anybody know a good breakfast where I won't have to snack like I am today? (I know it's only fruit but still)

Thanks to anyone who can help!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I normally have Alpen (no added sugar). Never had the original recipe so got nothing to compare it to. And it normally keeps me full until lunch time.

Or porridge if I want something hot.

And I'd add a banana if I'm particularly hungry that morning

ReputationRep:
    Porridge! In the winter and overnight oats in the summer. You can top either of them with fruit, honey, cinnamon, whatever you like so you don't get bored either. I also like whole meal bread with avocado, but although its healthy it has quite a lot of calories. you could also try 'paleo pancakes'. I love them but my friends hate them. You make the pancake mix with banana, eggs and peanut butter and then top with fruit. Plain Greek yogurt topped with fruit and granola is also good.

hope I helped x

ReputationRep:
    I actually find it far easier to stick to a good diet when I'm working because my day is far more structured. When I'm at home all day I don't have a specific lunch time or break so I'm more likely to graze and snack constantly.

As for breakfasts, porridge is great and there are loads of different things you can add to it. Eggs are also good as the protein tends to fill you up longer - perhaps an omelettes or poached/boiled/scrambled egg on toast. A lot of cereals are full of sugar so aren't brilliant. I find I can last far longer on an omelette (2 eggs + ham usually, sometimes half a red pepper or whatever I have lying around in the fridge) than I ever do on a bowl of cereal, which is usually more calories as well.

Will you be taking lunch with you? I always try to plan my lunches for the week at the weekend. Not necessarily exactly what I'll be eating every day, but I just make sure there's something available easily every day so I don't get lazy and start buying rubbish at work. I tend to cook in bulk anyway, so when I'm splitting up a huge bowl of chilli or whatever into portions for my boyfriend & I, I'll tub up some smaller lunch-sized portions and stick them in the freezer, then I've always got something I can quickly grab on my way to work (by lunch time it's usually defrosted so I can just stick it in the microwave).

ReputationRep:
    Don't you get the chance for a midmorning snack at work? That isn't necessarily a bad thing! Porridge in the morning, and then take something like an apple incase you're hungry. But one of the best things I find about working is that you're busy so it at least takes your mind off being hungry.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks very much guys for your quick and helpful replies! I'm definitely going to try some porridge of a morning now! Going to top it with some fruit and cinnamon or honey etc. I'm going to have some tomorrow morning

(Original post by Kate.)
    I actually find it far easier to stick to a good diet when I'm working because my day is far more structured. When I'm at home all day I don't have a specific lunch time or break so I'm more likely to graze and snack constantly.

As for breakfasts, porridge is great and there are loads of different things you can add to it. Eggs are also good as the protein tends to fill you up longer - perhaps an omelettes or poached/boiled/scrambled egg on toast. A lot of cereals are full of sugar so aren't brilliant. I find I can last far longer on an omelette (2 eggs + ham usually, sometimes half a red pepper or whatever I have lying around in the fridge) than I ever do on a bowl of cereal, which is usually more calories as well.

Will you be taking lunch with you? I always try to plan my lunches for the week at the weekend. Not necessarily exactly what I'll be eating every day, but I just make sure there's something available easily every day so I don't get lazy and start buying rubbish at work. I tend to cook in bulk anyway, so when I'm splitting up a huge bowl of chilli or whatever into portions for my boyfriend & I, I'll tub up some smaller lunch-sized portions and stick them in the freezer, then I've always got something I can quickly grab on my way to work (by lunch time it's usually defrosted so I can just stick it in the microwave).
    Thanks for the advice Kate. Yep, I'm always going to be taking my own lunches. I usually have a warbutons sandwich thin, roll or sandwich with meat and salad on it. And either a piece of fruit or a go ahead fruit bar.

Normally that would fill me at home until dinner because I wasn't doing much (I'd usually go the gym of a morning) but maybe now that I'm working and being active after I've eaten, that won't be enough. I may have to think of some different alternatives. It's so hard to have a substantial lunch yet keep the calories down so there's enough left for the rest of the day.

I'm going to try porridge of a morning with fruit and sometimes eggs as I love scrambled and omelettes

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xoxAngel_Kxox)
    Don't you get the chance for a midmorning snack at work? That isn't necessarily a bad thing! Porridge in the morning, and then take something like an apple incase you're hungry. But one of the best things I find about working is that you're busy so it at least takes your mind off being hungry.
    Well I'm not sure yet Angel as it's only my first day today but I'm definitely going to take a healthy snack just incase I get hungry and we have breaks before lunch.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by TheCreed)

Thanks for the advice Kate. Yep, I'm always going to be taking my own lunches. I usually have a warbutons sandwich thin, roll or sandwich with meat and salad on it. And either a piece of fruit or a go ahead fruit bar.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Also, try swapping your bread for wraps. Especially Wholemeal wraps. (and just in general, eat Wholemeal bread instead of white). But I've started substituting rolls/bread for wraps at lunch, and its much nicer. Plus it makes your sandwich more about the filling rather than the bread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mother_Russia)
    Also, try swapping your bread for wraps. Especially Wholemeal wraps. (and just in general, eat Wholemeal bread instead of white). But I've started substituting rolls/bread for wraps at lunch, and its much nicer. Plus it makes your sandwich more about the filling rather than the bread
    Thanks for the tip! I think I'm going to try switching to whole meal bread definitely. The white bread I eat now isn't very high in calories but I guess whole meal is just better for you all round! I will have a look at some wraps too

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    I eat a lot of eggs for breakfast, especially scrambled on whole toast/muffin/bagel. I use 1 egg and a load of egg whites (bought separately) as this is lower calories than multiple eggs but really fills me up!

Also talking about white bread above, it is full of refined sugar. You use the energy up quickly then crash and just feel hungry and end up craving sugary food! So yes wholemeal

Posted from TSR Mobile

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.