The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website

Need HELP for choosing Newcastle, strathclyde or Kent for my architecture course!!

So, I applied for architecture and got offer from these 3 uni... But Newcastle gave me a conditional offer on "Architecture & Urban Planning" which is not what I originally applied (Architecture)... BUT they did mention I can change to Architecture in 2nd year, as long if I am able to achieve 60% or above for Architectural Design module..

At first I was thinking since I can change to architecture in 2nd year as long I meet what it requires, UNTIL all my friends start telling me that the course they offer me is NOT what I actually applied and it is NOT EASY to score 60% or over for modules in uni..

Now I dunno what should I choose!

I got conditional offer from Strathclyde, Newcastle, Kent and Brighton... Which one should I put as firm and insurance?

FYI: Kent needs AAB, whereas the others are ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Lm31
So, I applied for architecture and got offer from these 3 uni... But Newcastle gave me a conditional offer on "Architecture & Urban Planning" which is not what I originally applied (Architecture)... BUT they did mention I can change to Architecture in 2nd year, as long if I am able to achieve 60% or above for Architectural Design module..

At first I was thinking since I can change to architecture in 2nd year as long I meet what it requires, UNTIL all my friends start telling me that the course they offer me is NOT what I actually applied and it is NOT EASY to score 60% or over for modules in uni..

Now I dunno what should I choose!

I got conditional offer from Strathclyde, Newcastle, Kent and Brighton... Which one should I put as firm and insurance?

FYI: Kent needs AAB, whereas the others are ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm in Year 12 at the minute and I'm thinking of Kent for architecture aswell - just wondering what subjects you took and your expected grades? thanks
Students on campus at the University of Newcastle
Newcastle University
Newcastle-upon-Tyne
Visit website
Reply 2
I just withdrew from my program in Newcastle University I am not in your department but I wouldn't recommend it especially if they were not clear with you from the beginning.
Reply 3
Hi Archengsculp,

My subjects are maths, physics, chemistry and economics. I expect myself to get ABB, but of course, I would want an AAB...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Hi Brightme,
I didn't choose Newcastle in the end cuz i didnt want to take the risk. And Do you mind telling me why did you withdrew from your programme?? Is it because they did not make things clear when you were choosing the programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Original post by Lm31
Hi Brightme,
I didn't choose Newcastle in the end cuz i didnt want to take the risk. And Do you mind telling me why did you withdrew from your programme?? Is it because they did not make things clear when you were choosing the programme?

Posted from TSR Mobile

For several reasons one of them was they were not clear about the program from the beginning . I had bad days and I couldn't feel there was a real support in the department even when I complained it was the same.

Also, I do have a friend who is doing a Phd in Human Geography and he told me the same about the bad experience but he is about to finish. I decided to leave from year 1 because it want the kind of academic life I expected. :frown:
Oh my god I'd wished I'd seen your reply earlier. Ive applied for the architecture and urban planning course and I want to change it now but I applied 5 weeks ago... And its too late to change it..

But Newcastle havent said anything to me yet so how should I go abouts with this? I want to change it to Architecture K100

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by Archengsculp
Oh my god I'd wished I'd seen your reply earlier. Ive applied for the architecture and urban planning course and I want to change it now but I applied 5 weeks ago... And its too late to change it..

But Newcastle havent said anything to me yet so how should I go abouts with this? I want to change it to Architecture K100

Posted from TSR Mobile

I'm not sure either. Last time when Newcastle gave a conditional offer to me on "Architecture and Urban Planning", they said I could only change to K100 on second year, BUT with the condition that I am able to score 60% and above for the first year (I think I have mentioned it in more detail at the beginning of this discussion). But bare in mind, that was what I've been told when I was still holding a conditional offer from them. So, I'm not sure if this could apply to your situation now.

FYI, I'm not studying in Newcastle, so i can't give you any information about this. Probably try asking around if any of your seniors used to have the same problem as you? Or ask around if any other universities would accept you for Architecture K100?? But do research on the universities if you REALLY plan to change to other uni ( and choose the good one, don't just go to their uni just because they offer you a place for architecture, or you will regret again)

Good luck! Hope your problem is solved ASAP!

Posted from TSR Mobile
I know know :/ as soon as I read your reply I sent off an enquiry to newcastle about possible change of course to K100 and Ive yet to receive a reply from them (sent this morning at like 2am).

There's also no one I know who's thinking of doing Architecture/many on TSR who've applied for K190 so fingers crossed they can let me change it or I'll just withdraw or something :/

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Archengsculp
I know know :/ as soon as I read your reply I sent off an enquiry to newcastle about possible change of course to K100 and Ive yet to receive a reply from them (sent this morning at like 2am).

There's also no one I know who's thinking of doing Architecture/many on TSR who've applied for K190 so fingers crossed they can let me change it or I'll just withdraw or something :/

Posted from TSR Mobile

Best of luck! Hope you get to change to architecture real soon! 💪💪

Posted from TSR Mobile
Best of luck! Hope you get to change to architecture real soon! 💪💪
they accepted my change! Got to submit a portfolio by 6th january >_< :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending