Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys.

First of all, I'm a total beginner. I have used digital cameras and DSLR before but I'm a newbie when it comes to playing with the effects of the camera.

Thing is, I'm going overseas to study soon so I'm saving some pocket money to buy a camera now. I'm looking into DSLR. The pictures are just amazing and genuine with this than digital cams.

I'm aiming to capture everything from scenes to small things. Since I'm a female and I'll be going to classes a lot, I hope you can recommend me something light and medium sized.

Other than that, which is better canon/ nikon? Is Pentax good?
    I have seen one but was not quite satisfied with the DSLR cam. You know the blue and red in colour? They look like toy cams. (Sorry) But anyway, they're big sized so I dont think I want to consider them.

I hope you can recommend me some. I'd like to search more into it and decide before July.

Thanks in advance.

ReputationRep:
    Cannon 1100D or 550D

Nikon D3100 or D3200

Those are the entry level cameras, the 550D is sort of in the bottom of the mid range bracket but it's rated very highly.
    Not much at all between the companies.

You can find these with kit lenses for between £300 and £500 new. They are the smaller and lighter cameras, being mosly plastic where higher up ones are magnesium or aluminium body.

ReputationRep:
    Canon 550D is a great recommendation by Pegasus. I personally own it since over a year and it is great for photos and HD Videos. I have used it at many occasions and it has not failed to perform brilliantly.

As you are looking for something portable, so you could carry around your camera everywhere. 550D will not be the perfect choice as it is not portable, you should be looking at micro four-thirds camera or mirror less cameras. They are easy to carry and lightweight, without compromising on the picture quality. It will be a bit more costly then a DSLR setup, but seeing your criteria it should be the best choice. Feel free to ask more questions. Happy to Help.

To name a few micro 4/3 cameras:
    Sony NEXF3
    Olympus PEN Series (recommended by many people)
    Panasonic Lumix G3

ReputationRep:
    The T2i is the ideal first DSLR. The simple controls shouldn't intimidate you for long, plus it can hold your hand a decent bit of the way, thanks to clever innovations like the Creative Auto Mode.
    But the T2i may also be the ideal last DSLR, as it offers most of the performance of a camera that's twice the price, albeit in a slightly more pedestrian body.

ReputationRep:
    I've got a Nikon D3100 as my beginner one, only got it in march so I'm still learning but it's so easy to use!
    Definitely recommend.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jskely)
    Hi guys.

First of all, I'm a total beginner. I have used digital cameras and DSLR before but I'm a newbie when it comes to playing with the effects of the camera.

Thing is, I'm going overseas to study soon so I'm saving some pocket money to buy a camera now. I'm looking into DSLR. The pictures are just amazing and genuine with this than digital cams.

I'm aiming to capture everything from scenes to small things. Since I'm a female and I'll be going to classes a lot, I hope you can recommend me something light and medium sized.

I have seen one but was not quite satisfied with the DSLR cam. You know the blue and red in colour? They look like toy cams. (Sorry) But anyway, they're big sized so I dont think I want to consider them.

I hope you can recommend me some. I'd like to search more into it and decide before July.

Thanks in advance.

Nikon D5300

ReputationRep:
    I bought the Canon 600D and it's very simple to use, (with the ability for more complicated settings if you want them), with such beautiful quality. Very pleased I bought it, and it wasn't too expensive either. I bought it when there was a cash back offer, and included an extra battery and canon remote.

ReputationRep:
    Canon 1100D is my beginner camera, reasonable price for a DSLR, and is nice to use, not too heavy, and pretty easy to just get started with.

Also no matter what camera you get I completely recommend the book "understanding exposure" by Bryan Peterson. It's really good at talking you through how to take good photos with a DSLR as a beginner.

ReputationRep:
    http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/1610344244...84.m1555.l2649

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jskely)
    Hi guys.

Thanks in advance.
    IMO get something like a Canon 1100D or Nikon D3100 - some of the smaller DSLR cameras you're going to find, so the most portable options. There isn't really a 'better' between the two, and Pentax is also good.

However, be aware that DSLRs take effort to get the best photos from them; unlike compact cameras the automated algorithms are less sophisticated, so you need more understanding of how to manipulate the settings to get the best pictures.

Spend some time before you go getting used to the camera controls and learning how to take photos with it.

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.