Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if there's a general way to show that two random variables are independent (as you might have guessed from the title) apart from directly calculating P(X <= k), P(Y <= m), P(X <= k and Y <= m). Is there a way of using PGFs, for instance? (Continuous or discrete variables welcomed.)
    It would be nice to have something as simple as "Covariance = 0" - but I know that's only a necessary condition, not a sufficient one.
    Thanks!
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Political Ambassador
    (Original post by Smaug123)
    Hi all,
    I was wondering if there's a general way to show that two random variables are independent (as you might have guessed from the title) apart from directly calculating P(X <= k), P(Y <= m), P(X <= k and Y <= m). Is there a way of using PGFs, for instance? (Continuous or discrete variables welcomed.)
    It would be nice to have something as simple as "Covariance = 0" - but I know that's only a necessary condition, not a sufficient one.
    Thanks!
    Of course, the general definition is:

Two random variables, X and Y, are independent \Leftrightarrow

\forall \alpha, \beta

{X \leq \alpha}

is independent of

Y \leq \beta.

Other than that, I don't recall any "simple" way of showing independence, although it would be nice to have one!

ReputationRep:
    Hi all,
    Thanks!
    Have you learnt (or are you learning) measure theory?

Another way to check independence is that if both X and Y have densities, then X and Y are independent iff their joint pdf is equal to the product of the marginals.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Mark13)
    Have you learnt (or are you learning) measure theory?
    Another way to check independence is that if both X and Y have densities, then X and Y are independent iff their joint pdf is equal to the product of the marginals.
    I've heard of measure theory in connection with probability (and also the "measure of the Cantor dust", so something to do with integrals and fractals) but that's as far as it goes so far, I'm afraid. Working out the joint PDF and the marginals is that it requires the same amount of work as working out P(X <= k), doesn't it, or is there a trick I've missed?

ReputationRep:
    I've heard of measure theory in connection with probability (and also the "measure of the Cantor dust", so something to do with integrals and fractals) but that's as far as it goes so far, I'm afraid. Working out the joint PDF and the marginals is that it requires the same amount of work as working out P(X <= k), doesn't it, or is there a trick I've missed?
    Yeh the pdf method and distribution function method are very similar. There's not really much else you can do which isn't a rephrasing of these ideas in general, without using some measure theory.

For normal random variables, covariance = 0 implies independent, but the result doesn't really generalise much further than that.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Yeh the pdf method and distribution function method are very similar. There's not really much else you can do which isn't a rephrasing of these ideas in general, without using some measure theory.

For normal random variables, covariance = 0 implies independent, but the result doesn't really generalise much further than that.
    Ah, OK - thanks anyway I'm sure I should know why cov=0 implies independent for normal RVs - could you remind me in what general direction the proof goes?

ReputationRep:
    Ah, OK - thanks anyway I'm sure I should know why cov=0 implies independent for normal RVs - could you remind me in what general direction the proof goes?
    Sorry, my post above isn't quite right - if X and Y are jointly normal then their covariance being zero implies independence, but it's not enough for X and Y just to be normal random variables. Not sure about the proof, proofwiki is probably a good place to look.
    • PS Helper
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    Study Helper
    Sorry, my post above isn't quite right - if X and Y are jointly normal then their covariance being zero implies independence, but it's not enough for X and Y just to be normal random variables. Not sure about the proof, proofwiki is probably a good place to look.
    Thanks - I suspect it's in my notes somewhere anyway, I just can't remember where straight off.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.