so before i was born i was the universe? watch

ReputationRep:
    as the title says

ReputationRep:
    Yep, the whole lot of it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    as the title says
    Yup! We are all just bits of star dust arranged in interesting ways!

The statement that we are all "star stuff," coined by the late astronomer Carl Sagan (not sure if this was before or after Joni Mitchell sang "we are stardust; we are golden. we are billion year old carbon"), is meant to imply more than that we are made of the same elements that stars are made of. Beyond that, the elements themselves (carbon, nitrogen, oxygen, etc.) were synthesized, cooked up as it were, in the nuclear furnaces that are the deep interior of stars. These elements are then released at the end of a star's lifetime when it explodes, and subsequently incorporated into a new generation of stars -- and into the planets that form around the stars, and the lifeforms that originate on the planets.

-- Michael Loewenstein and Amy Fredericks for "Ask an Astrophysicist"

ReputationRep:
    If I'm correct, for every million antimatter particles there were a million and one particles of matter so we are essentially "the debris of the early universe."

ReputationRep:
    I was the universe before you were.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ednut)
    as the title says
    No, you were your dads splooge
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Study Helper
    You still are the universe.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    You're as much the universe now as you were before you were born, i.e., you are made of bits of universe.

ReputationRep:
    you weren't the universe....you were PART of it (and still are)

ReputationRep:
    God is such a genius.

ReputationRep:
    And our atomic structure means that we're mostly empty space

ReputationRep:
    "We are stardust, we are golden, we are billion year old carbon..."
    Woodstock, by Crosby, Still, Nash & Young

ReputationRep:
    Yep, but in between being stardust and you, some of you was almost certainly part of the intestines of a mammoth.

ReputationRep:
    :moon:

ReputationRep:

Let the Flower Kings explain through the medium of a 25 minute prog epic.

ReputationRep:
    Well, in the purly physiological sense of 'where were the atoms which are 'me', before I was me', then yes. supernovas and galaxies coliding throw out particles of all sizes into deep space, eventially coming to orbit around a celestial body such as the sun, then coagulate into the earth blah blah blah.

But if we want to talk about the idea that the universe is a projection of our own conciousness, well thats a whole new fun topic to think about, the idea that we are all the universe because the universe is only there because we observe it. As a convosation between Einstine and a friend of his went:
    "Do you really belive that if nobody was looking, the moon would disapear?"
    "Can you proove me otherwise?"

(kinda off the original topic, but i just wanted to talk randomly for a while to procrastiante my work further )

• create my feed
  • edit my feed
Poll
Do you agree with the proposed ban on plastic straws and cotton buds?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.