Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Food and Drink: Food shopping list Essentials Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone, what would be your food shopping list essentials? Perhaps on a budget.

ReputationRep:
    Pasta, frozen chips, peas, sweetcorn and soup

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ag109757)
    Hey everyone, what would be your food shopping list essentials? Perhaps on a budget.
    I always stock up at the start of term with the basics. So a big (5kg) bag of pasta, and 1kg of basmati rice, bags or tins of beans (I prefer black beans, kidney beans, butter beans and cannellini beans), soup (I like condensed soup as it can be used in cooking), tins (e.g. tomatoes, sweetcorn, coconut milk, curry sauce etc), some risotto rice, and a big bag of frozen peas. I then make sure I have lots of seasoning and spices; curry powder (and paste!); coriander; cumin; garlic/onion powder; paprika; cayenne pepper; black pepper; salt etc. Also flour, sugar, teabags etc. Don't forget non-edible basics like cling-film, foil, and resealable plastic bags.
    Then I'll get meat. Bacon (which I'll desperate into one and two rasher portions and freese), Sausages (frozen in packages of two),and then something on the three-for-ten-pound deal, general mince and chicken breast. Get eggs and milk with this shop, I always stock up on grated parmesan too.
    For fresh veg, in this shop I'd get a big bag of onions, potatoes and carrots as they last ages. I'd then get the general cabbage (lasts around 4 weeks) and broc/peppers/lettuce which last around a fortnight, spinach (less than a week) and whatever fruit I fancy (always bananas).
    This shop generally comes to around £75, it was £120 on my first ever term as I was starting completely from stratch with the basics.

Then after that I'll shop once a fortnight at the very least, generally for fruit and vegetables, and this shop will cost around £15 or less. In this shop it will be salady stuff, any veg that has gone off, bread (pittas or wraps tend to last longer) and basically anything I run out of.

I've worked out and doing it this way my shopping averages around £15 a week per term, and I eat really well. Takes a bit of planning (I generally spend the first few days of cooking making, portioning and freezing lots of meals) but is well worth it and it means I basically have homemade 'ready meals' to reheat when I get in. As I can't eat general ready meals due to allergies this is really helpful!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you rather give up salt or pepper?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.