Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How bad is it to ask someone to a party then forget to tell them when it's on? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately, this happened to me, recently.

I was talking to somebody on Facebook and said to them there was a party going on in a few weeks time, and that they can come along, if they want. They said "yeah I certainly come".

Then I actually met up with said person for lunch the week following the party, and they asked me if the party was still on. I, embarrassed, replied "oh damn that was last weekend, sorry".

I simply forgot that I invited this person. He is not in the same group of friends as me, and is always on the peripheral, as well as being much younger than me.

I am annoyed and angry with myself that I did not remember. I am trying to make it up to him by other ways, but I am a little worried I may have ruined some trust.

Just how bad is this, and what would you think of me had I treated you that way?

ReputationRep:
    I have done a similar thing before, I did feel really bad about it at the time but the other guy was cool about it. We all make mistakes, and it certainly wasn't intentional!

ReputationRep:
    Well, I hope you're right.

My friend does seem slightly cold towards me since, though.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Frankster)
    You didn't have to say that the party had already been. You could have just said that it was cancelled.
    I was put on the spot, and didn't think about it. My initial reaction is to be honest.

If I had realised that I had forgotten to ask him BEFORE I met up with him, then, yeah, I could have told a little white lie.

ReputationRep:
    It does happen, but I was your friend, I would probably be cold too. At least I would assume we aren't really friends. He can't have crossed your mind even once and it can't have mattered to you whether he'd come or not, otherwise you would obviously have remembered to tell him the time. It's the signals you're sending which matter, more than the party itself.
    Don't mean to sound harsh, it's not like you've committed murder, but it's stuff like this which makes you filter out your real friends from your vague and unreliable acquaintances.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Millie228)
    It does happen, but I was your friend, I would probably be cold too. At least I would assume we aren't really friends. He can't have crossed your mind even once and it can't have mattered to you whether he'd come or not, otherwise you would obviously have remembered to tell him the time. It's the signals you're sending which matter, more than the party itself.
    Don't mean to sound harsh, it's not like you've committed murder, but it's stuff like this which makes you filter out your real friends from your vague and unreliable acquaintances.
    I get what you're saying, but I feel that I am the only one trying to advance this friendship, anyway. I don't ever see him making an effort with me. In fact, I have asked him for 3 'small' favours recently, and he has forgotten to do any of them for me.

I really respect this guy, and try to involve him and keep up a convo etc., but ultimately I guess friendships cannot be forced. There is obviously something awkward between us, and it's not going to get any better with me not acting on my word.

I feel that maybe he doesn't respect me. Now, if I invite him to some cool party where he can mix with older people similar to my age, then he will like that because he obviously gets something out of 'acting older than his years'. But I feel as though that's just him using me?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    What's your favourite Christmas sweets?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.