Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Does religious belief actually affect the moral decisions we make? Watch

ReputationRep:
    --

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by takingtime)
    Ok so this is basically just trying to make people answering questions for my dissertation more interesting.
    I'm looking at whether having a religious belief increases the likelihood of pro-social behaviour or whether interpretation of religious scriptures is in fact affected by increasing liberality of society and as such religious peoples act relatively similarly to non-religious people.

1. Please - State your Gender
    2. The current educational level you are studying for
    3. Your religious beliefs(denomination of Christianity if applicable) / If not religious then whether atheist or agnostic
    4. How strong you consider these beliefs from 1-9 (9 highest)
    5. Do your parents have any religious beliefs?
    6. To what extent do you think they influenced you morally? (1-9)

To what extent do you agree with the following statements from 1-9 (9 completely agree)
    1. "Different types of morality cannot be compared as to 'rightness.'
    2. Rigidly codifying an ethical position that prevents certain types of actions could stand in the way of better human relations and adjustment.
    3. Whether a lie is judged to be moral or immoral depends upon the circumstances surrounding the action.
    4. No rule concerning lying can be formulated; whether a lie is permissible or not permissible totally depends upon the situation.
    5. What is ethical varies from one situation and society to
      another.
    6. If an action could harm an innocent other, then it should not
      be done.
    7. Deciding whether or not to perform an act by balancing
      the positive consequences of the act against the negative
      consequences of the act is immoral.

Please answer yes or no to these situations.

1.You are standing on a bridge when an out-of-control mining cart comes into view. You can see 5 workers on the track who you suppose will be instantly killed unless you push a large rock off the bridge to stop the cart. However if you do this the cart driver will be killed. Do you push the rock?
    2.This time instead of a rock there is a large man you could push. He and the cart driver will die but 5 workers will survive. Do you push the man?
    3. In a separate instance you can throw yourself in front of the cart, killing you and the cart driver but 5 workers will survive. Do you jump?

Do please try and answer all the questions. If you answered it all I love you forever, feel free to discuss the subject matter or related areas. I will post up the full results of the data from TSR and off TSR when I'm done. Thanks!
    1) Girl
    2) On a gap year
    3) Atheist
    4) 7 - I'm pretty sure but open to others if the correct evidence is provided to me
    5) Mum's agnostic dad's a Roman Catholic
    6) I have similar morals to my mum, quite a bit different than my dad

4 - Sometimes that's true but there are other things that aren't relative
    2. Rigidly codifying an ethical position that prevents certain types of actions could stand in the way of better human relations and adjustment.
      5 - depends what it is
    3. Whether a lie is judged to be moral or immoral depends upon the circumstances surrounding the action.
    4. No rule concerning lying can be formulated; whether a lie is permissible or not permissible totally depends upon the situation.
      another.
      4 - Somewhat but again there are certain things that are pretty concrete
      be done.

Oh **** I hate these things

1.You are standing on a bridge when an out-of-control mining cart comes into view. You can see 5 workers on the track who you suppose will be instantly killed unless you push a large rock off the bridge to stop the cart. However if you do this the cart driver will be killed. Do you push the rock?
    2.This time instead of a rock there is a large man you could push. He and the cart driver will die but 5 workers will survive. Do you push the man?
    3. In a separate instance you can throw yourself in front of the cart, killing you and the cart driver but 5 workers will survive. Do you jump?

1) Yes, there's no gaurantee he'll die if I push it but they will definitely die
    2) No, he'll definitely die
    3) No

ReputationRep:
    Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Do please try and answer all the questions. If you answered it all I love you forever, feel free to discuss the subject matter or related areas. I will post up the full results of the data from TSR and off TSR when I'm done. Thanks! 1) Girl
    2) BA
    3) Non-religious theist
    4) 7
    5) Parents were LDS, then converted to Anglican
    6) About a 6

another.
      be done.

1) Yes - same reasons as Tyrian
    2) No
    3) No

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ishkabibble)
    Do please try and answer all the questions. If you answered it all I love you forever, feel free to discuss the subject matter or related areas. I will post up the full results of the data from TSR and off TSR when I'm done. Thanks! 1) Girl
    2) BA
    3) Non-religious theist
    4) 7
    5) Parents were LDS, then converted to Anglican
    6) About a 6

another.
      be done.

1) Yes - same reasons as Tyrian
    2) No
    3) No
    Thanks so much. I certainly tend to be in the minority in pushing the fat man. :/ Not sure what that says about me haha.

ReputationRep:
    bump

ReputationRep:
    Ok so this is basically just trying to make people answering questions for my dissertation more interesting.
    I'm looking at whether having a religious belief increases the likelihood of pro-social behaviour or whether interpretation of religious scriptures is in fact affected by increasing liberality of society and as such religious peoples act relatively similarly to non-religious people.
    how might you try to find this out?

Please - State your Gender
    M
    The current educational level you are studying for
    finishing at university
    Your religious beliefs(denomination of Christianity if applicable) / If not religious then whether atheist or agnostic
    Catholic

How strong you consider these beliefs from 1-9 (9 highest)
    Do your parents have any religious beliefs?
    yes
    To what extent do you think they influenced you morally? (1-9)
    unable to determine. both are in themselves unique in belief and I don't know every single belief.

"Different types of morality cannot be compared as to 'rightness.'
    Rigidly codifying an ethical position that prevents certain types of actions could stand in the way of better human relations and adjustment.
    Whether a lie is judged to be moral or immoral depends upon the circumstances surrounding the action.
    No rule concerning lying can be formulated; whether a lie is permissible or not permissible totally depends upon the situation.
    What is ethical varies from one situation and society to
    another.
    3 (put 3 cause I am considering both 1. what that society/person may consider ethical 2. what is ethical)
    If an action could harm an innocent other, then it should not be done.
    Deciding whether or not to perform an act by balancing

Please answer yes or no to these situations.

no. you yell to the 5 workers to get off the track.
    if this were to actually happen, there may be too many factors for a pesron to act according to their belief. however, I still would want to yell.

no, because of the above

no, because of the above.

ReputationRep:
    lol....sorry bout the page. I'll try to fix it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by da_nolo)
    lol....sorry bout the page. I'll try to fix it
    Thanks I had no idea what had happened to it! haha.

I was mainly planning to investigate that part by variations in responses to the hypothetical situations. I'm also going to look at differences in prison population statistics (which surprisingly shows a proportionally lower amount of atheists in prison)
    At the moment similar experiments have showed that there is a weak correlation between religious people being more likely to go out of there way to help people. Although Atheists would argue other studies have shown that this is only in situations where it boosts their reputation. (If this makes it less valid)
    I'm mainly just trying to look at it in circumstances where traditional scripture would indicate they shouldn't get involved but it might be acceptable within the society to make such decision (like jumping off the bridge to save the people.)

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I had no idea what had happened to it! haha.

I was mainly planning to investigate that part by variations in responses to the hypothetical situations. I'm also going to look at differences in prison population statistics (which surprisingly shows a proportionally lower amount of atheists in prison)
    At the moment similar experiments have showed that there is a weak correlation between religious people being more likely to go out of there way to help people. Although Atheists would argue other studies have shown that this is only in situations where it boosts their reputation. (If this makes it less valid)
    I'm mainly just trying to look at it in circumstances where traditional scripture would indicate they shouldn't get involved but it might be acceptable within the society to make such decision (like jumping off the bridge to save the people.)
    you should look at the # of charities and their connection to moral/religious aptitude or belief. its difficult to assume why a person does something, but I view this as being similar to the jail house rock statistics, in a manner of it giving numbers.

sounds cool. would really like to see the end result.

p.s. I post in "ask a moderator" so the thread could be looked at.

ReputationRep:
    :wavey: All fixed now

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.