Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I'm applying for a masters degree but one of my references isn't responding after nearly 2 months of me trying to get a hold of him, despite saying he'd be happy to provide one for me. He's always been quite difficult to get hold of but I didn't think he'd just outright ignore my emails and be so unprofessional. Would it be okay to ask a lecturer that I'm not as familiar with for a reference, and how would I ask him? Thanks

ReputationRep:
    Have you tried to call him? double checked to ensure his details are correct?

As you've mentioned, you can change who your referees are, just be cautions that they may not know you as well and this may reflect int he reference they give.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I've called him lots at different times of day in case he's not in his office but no luck. I've checked his details so many times just in case but they are correct! Yeah that's what I'm a little worried about, but we did speak a bit because he shared an office and lab with my project supervisor. Better than nothing though right?
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    (Original post by killthebatman)
    I'm applying for a masters degree but one of my references isn't responding after nearly 2 months of me trying to get a hold of him, despite saying he'd be happy to provide one for me. He's always been quite difficult to get hold of but I didn't think he'd just outright ignore my emails and be so unprofessional. Would it be okay to ask a lecturer that I'm not as familiar with for a reference, and how would I ask him? Thanks
    Have you double-checked with the university in question that your referee hasn't already sent them your reference? Some universities ask for references to be sent directly to them, and even if your chosen university doesn't, it's possible that your referee got confused and sent it to them anyway.
    If you know for a fact that he hasn't, though, I'd say going with the slightly less ideal referee is probably a better option than not being able to apply at all...

ReputationRep:
    Do they not have office hours or a chance for you to speak to them in person? :confused:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for your help guys. I finished uni last year so can't see him in person, otherwise I'd have been down there everyday until I got a reply lol. Even if he'd sent it directly to the university, he would have replied to my personal emails to him asking whats going on, but he didn't so I'm just going to assume he's being a coward. But I had a moment of courage and decided to just email the other lecturer and he replied immediately saying he'd be happy to do it, thank god!

Poll
Do you agree with the PM's proposal to cut tuition fees for some courses?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.