The Student Room Group

How long is sufficient work experience?

I've got work experience at a law firm in their finance department, and they've asked me how long I want to do it for. I'm actually struggling to decide because I don't know if one week will be enough or if two weeks will be too much. I must admit as well that I am terrified of doing work experience for fear of embarrassing myself :/ Advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1
There's no such thing as too much work experience, especially in places like law firms. Get as much as you can, it will help you tremendously in the future.
Original post by JodieW
I've got work experience at a law firm in their finance department, and they've asked me how long I want to do it for. I'm actually struggling to decide because I don't know if one week will be enough or if two weeks will be too much. I must admit as well that I am terrified of doing work experience for fear of embarrassing myself :/ Advice?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I would say at least 1 month. Enough time to begin to settle in and experience everything and not too long in case do not enjoy it.
Original post by Kre
There's no such thing as too much work experience, especially in places like law firms. Get as much as you can, it will help you tremendously in the future.

I agree.
Do as much work experience as you can.
Reply 4
I've only asked for a week, my sister works there and it's a very small finance team and she reckons I'd simply be bored if I were there for more than a week.
Reply 5
Original post by JodieW
I've only asked for a week, my sister works there and it's a very small finance team and she reckons I'd simply be bored if I were there for more than a week.

You're missing the point... you have the opportunity to gain some valuable work experience, which is pretty hard to come by, yet you only asked for a week? Even if you do get bored, my advice is to ask for at least a month and soldier on... you'll thank me later and this will be pretty impressive on your CV.

A week, however... isn't pointless but when you have the opportunity to do so much more, begs the question why even bother?
Reply 6
Original post by Kre
You're missing the point... you have the opportunity to gain some valuable work experience, which is pretty hard to come by, yet you only asked for a week? Even if you do get bored, my advice is to ask for at least a month and soldier on... you'll thank me later and this will be pretty impressive on your CV.

A week, however... isn't pointless but when you have the opportunity to do so much more, begs the question why even bother?

Do you think it would be better though if I also applied to other accountants afterwards and asked for experience there also? I have my whole summer to build up my uni application and CV with volunteering and hopefully more work experience, which is why I don't want to work at this firm for too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 7
Original post by JodieW
Do you think it would be better though if I also applied to other accountants afterwards and asked for experience there also? I have my whole summer to build up my uni application and CV with volunteering and hopefully more work experience, which is why I don't want to work at this firm for too long.

Posted from TSR Mobile

If you're able to find work experience elsewhere then yes it would be more useful. Variation on your CV looks good, but make sure you can get these places first before committing to anything.
Reply 8
Original post by JodieW

Being bored is work experience.
Reply 9
You'll want to prove yourself to the firm. Therefore you need enough time to overcome your initial ineptness. I'd say a month too.
Original post by JodieW

Posted from TSR Mobile

if you're 100% sure you want to go into law then I suppose a longer work experience will be worthy but you dont want to do a month long work experience and then end up doing something else at uni.

also, you're still young and in my opinion, a month long work experience is unnecessary, youll probably do most of your most worthy work experiences between each year when you're already at uni. also, when you're older, the people at the workplace will take you more seriously and show you the real deal because they know youre more serious about it rather than an alevel student.

i think a fortnight is enough and a week is too short to learn anything valuable. good luck!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending