Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

I am a single mum with an 11yr old son. I am a mature student of 31 and have applied to do Access to Medicine and Medical Biosciences at City and Islington College this September. The course is 14hrs per week plus an hour personal tutor time, so 15hrs per week. I am unsure whether I should apply as a full time student or part time student.

I wanted to ask what exactly can I apply for in regards to student finance? I know I can probably apply for a tuition loan.
    I am confused about exactly what I should apply for and will I be eligible?

At the moment I am unemployed receiving JSA and seeking part-time work alongside studying for September. I am also receiving child benefit and child tax credit for my son.

I hope you can help,

Regards,

Mel
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Official TSR Representative
    Hi Mel,

Based on the info you've provided I'm not sure if you'll be eligible to receive student finance for this course.

As a general rule we can only fund level 4 and 5 courses and most access courses are level 3.

Is this is a one year access?

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

What support will be available to me if any? Yes the course is 1 year.

Regards,

Mel.

ReputationRep:
    Hiya Mark,

Would I be eligible and able to apply for the 24+ Advanced Learning Loan for my Access course?....

Regards,

Mel...

ReputationRep:
    Hi again Mel,

Yes you should be entitled to receive a 24+ Advanced Learning Loan for your access course. It might be worth noting though that these loans will only cover the tuition fee amount as there is no maintenance support available through +24.

Hope this helps,
    Mark-Lee

ReputationRep:
    Hi Mark,

Thanks for your help. I will apply for the 24+ Advanced Loan for the tuition fees. In terms of maintenance what does this include?
    I have my own flat and am a single parent currently unemployed on JSA. What other costs am I likely to incur?...

Regards,

Mel

ReputationRep:
    Hi again Mel,

Unfortunately the 24+ Advanced Loan doesn't include any maintenance support but your college may offer an additional study bursary.

Thanks,
    Mark

ReputationRep:
    Hi there Mark,

Much appreciation for your helpful advice! I will ask at the college about a bursary! I now have an unconditional offer to start this September.

I wanted to ask about things such as travelling to College( I will need to get 2 buses there and 2 buses back) and support as I am a single mum. I am confused as to which grant I can apply for. I know there is Parents Allowance and a Child Maintenance grant, but which do I apply for if entitled to any?...

Apologies for all the questions...

Regards,

Mel.

ReputationRep:
    Sorry and to add to the questions, when I come to doing the application, what will happen if I was to find a part time job?...

How will this affect me in terms of what I can apply for?....

Thanks,

Mel.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again,

There are no grants or maintenance loans available with a +24 loan. Parental Learning Allowance and Childcare Grant are only available for those studying a Higher Education qualification unfortunately.

Thanks,
    Mark-Lee

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: May 1, 2013
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.