Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Messy handwriting = smart people? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Is it true??? Just curious

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    If my GP's handwriting is anything to go by, then yes I'd say there's somewhat of a correlation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SyedaK)

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Well I have crap handwriting and I'm a frikkin genius so I'd say so, yeah.

ReputationRep:
    Sounds about right to me, feels good being a genius

ReputationRep:
    Probably, your brain ought to be thinking faster than your hand can write anyway.

ReputationRep:
    Nope

ReputationRep:
    There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Enavor)
    There is no correlation between poor or good handwriting and a persons intelligence level. That's why graphology is considered a pseudo-science.

More people have messier handwriting than neat, so does that mean more intelligent people exist than stupid people? I doubt that highly.

There's also something about left handed people being smarter as well, I think that's crap too.
    Thanks for clearing it up. Curiosity gets the best of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kre)
    If my GP's handwriting is anything to go by, then yes I'd say there's somewhat of a correlation.

Every Dr I have ever seen has had terrible hand writing, Im guessing it must be in the job description

ReputationRep:
    I'd like to think so...

Spoiler:
    Show
    My handwriting is messy :ahee:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for clearing it up. Curiosity gets the best of me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    No bother chief! I'm always happy to share my wisdom around ^_^

Love,

Luke.

ReputationRep:
    Messy handwriting is a result of not having practised tidy handwriting enough. I see no reason that there would be a correlation between intelligence and failure to practise proper handwriting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Bobifier)
    Messy handwriting is a result of not having practised tidy handwriting enough. I see no reason that there would be a correlation between intelligence and failure to practise proper handwriting.
    I agree with you on the people don't practice handwriting enough, therefore by practising your handwriting will become better, but that's not the full story.

It's not just practice, handwriting is highly genetic.

There is a fantastic source for this which I can give:

http://www.cedar.buffalo.edu/~srihar...s/TR-04-07.pdf - on the discriminable ability of handwriting in twins.

It basically concludes that even identical twins have unique handwriting. You learn all this crazy ancient knowledge in psychology, seriously interesting stuff!

ReputationRep:
    The reason why my handwriting is not considered 'neat' is because I rush what I want to write. I think very quickly and I have to write it instantly because other thoughts and ideas are being processed in my mind.

ReputationRep:
    It's probably not relevant but somewhat ironically it was always the English teachers at school who had terrible handwriting. :lol:

As for me I know I can write neatly but I don't because it really slows me down and quite frankly I don't have the time or patience, so it just ends up messy.

ReputationRep:
    Even if there were some truth (and we only have the pseudo-science of graphology to say there is), the modern trend away from handwriting towards keypads must be warping the findings, likewise the tendency to downplay the need for 'neat handwriting' in primary schools.

ReputationRep:
    I agree with you on the people don't practice handwriting enough, therefore by practising your handwriting will become better, but that's not the full story.

It's not just practice, handwriting is highly genetic.

There is a fantastic source for this which I can give:

http://www.cedar.buffalo.edu/~srihar...s/TR-04-07.pdf - on the discriminable ability of handwriting in twins.

It basically concludes that even identical twins have unique handwriting. You learn all this crazy ancient knowledge in psychology, seriously interesting stuff!
    Despite not having read your source, I still find it difficult to accept that you have fully understood it.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Section Leader
    Never heard of that before. I don't understand why it would be the case. My own handwriting is messy, but who knows why that is. Anecdotally, I think there is a greater difference between men and women's handwriting styles: girls' handwriting almost always seems neater.

ReputationRep:
    Well I have lovely handwriting if I do say so myself, and I'm not stupid

ReputationRep:
    Left handed people are smarter... :smug:

Better at art too :pierre:

Spoiler:
    Show
    Just joking! :teehee:

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.