The Student Room Group

Exeter or York for Philosophy?

So i have narrowed my uni choices down to York and Exeter, i have an AAB offer from York and an AAA offer from Exeter to study philosophy and after visiting both universities am still struggling to make up my mind. Would be very greatful if anyone with experience of either universities could let me know whether they're enjoying it and what its like, particularly if anyone is doing philosophy and could tell me a bit about the department in terms of size etc.
Also if anyone has an opinion on whether one is better than the other in terms of employability or whether they are pretty much the same
thanks
Reply 1
Employment prospects are better from York. Not presuming you'll want to go nto any of these professions, but the most selective employers (banks, law firms, consultancies) definitely hold York in higher esteem than Exeter.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 2
I am at Exeter, and would not want to be anywhere else.

1.Top Ten University.
2. One of the most beautiful campuses.Second year and third year, you are only a 10 minute walk from campus.
3. Even improving in reputation and standing.
4. Safe city
5. One of the best Universities preparing you for work.
6. Great social life.
7. Top 7 in England with the most students with AAB+ and higher.
8. For the 2013 entry, has an increase of 25% in applications. It is a Uni on the rise.
9. A lot of construction done over the past few years, so many of the facilities are modern and state if the art.
10. Beach is only a 20 minute train ride away.
11. Just won an award for best employability dept. in U.K.
12. Always in the top 5 for student satisfaction.
13. Sunday Times 2013 University of the Year. Shortlisted more than any other University in the U.K.
14. 2 nd best University Tennis facilities in England.
15. Top 3 University in Sports participation.

The University simply has everything.
Reply 3
Original post by Film
I am at Exeter, and would not want to be anywhere else.

1.Top Ten University.
2. One of the most beautiful campuses.Second year and third year, you are only a 10 minute walk from campus.
3. Even improving in reputation and standing.
4. Safe city
5. One of the best Universities preparing you for work.
6. Great social life.
7. Top 7 in England with the most students with AAB+ and higher.
8. For the 2013 entry, has an increase of 25% in applications. It is a Uni on the rise.
9. A lot of construction done over the past few years, so many of the facilities are modern and state if the art.
10. Beach is only a 20 minute train ride away.
11. Just won an award for best employability dept. in U.K.
12. Always in the top 5 for student satisfaction.
13. Sunday Times 2013 University of the Year. Shortlisted more than any other University in the U.K.
14. 2 nd best University Tennis facilities in England.
15. Top 3 University in Sports participation.

The University simply has everything.

Cheers for the neg bro....and for contributing your incredibly biased opinion :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by MAINE.
Cheers for the neg bro....and for contributing your incredibly biased opinion :smile:

Sorry, but your comment was not based on facts, but only on your personal opinion. and was completely biased. Most of mine are simple facts, and are not opinions. By the way, I like York University. It is an excellent University.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 5
Original post by Film
Sorry, but your comment was not based on facts, but only on your personal opinion. and was completely biased. Most of mine are simple facts, and are not opinions. By the way, I like York University. It is an excellent University.

:lol:

You calling me biased? lolz, I'm not the one that felt the need to create a 15 point manifesto to convince the OP my uni is even worth the time of day.

You are clearly

a) incredibly biased
b) butthurt because someone had the nerve to suggest there are better universities out there than yours
and c) hugely insecure about public perception of your university

All I will attest is that university rankings do play a big part in employment prospects, and generally York is more highly ranked than Exeter, and is held in higher regards by the most selective employers. These are statements that can easily be verified with a bit of research/time spent googling....in fact, the career forums on this site are probably a good start.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
All I will attest is that university rankings do play a big part in employment prospects, and generally York is more highly ranked than Exeter, and is held in higher regards by the most selective employers. These are statements that can easily be verified.

Yes they can be verified. As I have said from the start, just look at the facts, and not your very biased rants.

The main 4 league tables:

Exeter 7,10,10,13
York 12,13,15,17

Enclosed is a list where the top companies hire. York is nowhere to be found.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by Film
All I will attest is that university rankings do play a big part in employment prospects, and generally York is more highly ranked than Exeter, and is held in higher regards by the most selective employers. These are statements that can easily be verified.

Yes they can be verified. As I have said from the start, just look at the facts, and not your very biased rants.

The main 4 league tables:

Exeter 7,10,10,13
York 12,13,15,17

Enclosed is a list where the top companies hire. York is nowhere to be found.

The Times are the only ones who make credible rankings, and even then in terms of truly judging the calibre of the university the only metrics that really matter are entry standards and research quality. I remember a couple years back after continually ranking like 20-25th or something, Lancaster was suddenly ranked 8th in the Guardian or some other major newspaper, and that was basically down to them manipulating some of the less reliable metrics. Looking at the most recent Times ranking (http://www.university-list.net/uk/rank/univ-10001.htm) York & Exeter rank pretty similar when it comes to entry standards & research, but in the past the gap was wider between them and York was ranked more highly. Obviously no one can say in 2013 the majority of employers will favour York over Exeter, but I have been exposed to the banking, law and consultancy industries since 2009 (which as I said are the most selective industries) and have seen a clear preference for York relative to Exeter. Go to any of the banking, law or consultancy forums on this website and people will say the same thing.

Regarding your point about the targets lists (the attached images) - lolz, you're like the 10th person I've seen use that list to boast about their university...I'm not even going to bother responding to that...your level of delusion is too great for words.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 8
Currently they're about equal in the league tables I'd say.

But looking at past tables York seems to be more consistant.

e.g. 12, 12, 10, 10, 11, 14 (York)
vs. 13, 15, 24, 21, 19, 17 (Exeter)
From thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk - 2013 - 2008

Either way they're very close and both highly regarded. It's not like choosing between York / Exeter vs BCU. Look at the courses to see which you'd prefer. This was one of the biggest factors in my choice since Exeter is a lot more exam based and I prefer the idea of coursework.
Also the city. York's bigger and busier than Exeter although they're both very historical and similar in a lot of ways.
Reply 9
Original post by ed-
Currently they're about equal in the league tables I'd say.

But looking at past tables York seems to be more consistant.

e.g. 12, 12, 10, 10, 11, 14 (York)
vs. 13, 15, 24, 21, 19, 17 (Exeter)
From thecompleteuniversityguide.co.uk - 2013 - 2008

Either way they're very close and both highly regarded. It's not like choosing between York / Exeter vs BCU. Look at the courses to see which you'd prefer. This was one of the biggest factors in my choice since Exeter is a lot more exam based and I prefer the idea of coursework.
Also the city. York's bigger and busier than Exeter although they're both very historical and similar in a lot of ways.

Actually yeah, sorry OP, got a bit carried away with the argument. Even though at least with the top employers York is more highly regarded than Exeter it's not such a big difference that going to Exeter will scupper your job prospects or anything. Ultimately, in this case you should just pick the uni you think you'll enjoy more.

Definitely look at how the courses are assessed. For example, I know if I could have gone to a uni where I didnt have to so many BS modules on my course I would have.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending