Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi all!

I got my degree in South Africa from a good university there. I'm now back in the UK and not sure exactly what to do on my CV. Firstly, the problem of converting my degree equivalent - I have an Honours degree. In the UK as far as I remember that's not necessarily an extra year or considered post-graduate level studying. In South Africa it's 4th year and considered post-graduate. So sometimes on a drop down menu there's no real option for me - it's either undergrad or straight to masters. I usually just put undergrad because I definitely don't have a Masters!

My second question (probably more important) is converting my marks on my CV. In SA it works as follows:

1st Class = 75% upwards
    2:1 = 70-74%
    2:2 = 60-69%
    3rd class = 50-59
    Fail 1 = 45-49%
    Fail 2 = 35-44%
    Fail 3 = 0 - 34%

My understanding is that in the UK (generally speaking) it's as follows:

1st Class = 70% upwards
    2:1 = 60-69%
    2:2 = 50-59 %
    3rd Class = somewhere in the 40's?

So, the question:

Do I convert this onto my CV? If I don't, they'll see I have a 2:2 for a subject that would be a 2:1 in the UK, and they'll see that I have a 2:1 for a subject that would be a 1st in the UK. But if I do, I'm scared they'll say "Hey, based on your marks system in SA you've not told the truth" - but if I don't convert the marks I won't get my foot in the door in the first place because they'll see me put the SA rating system and think "Why's this idiot applied when he hasn't got a 2:1?". See what I mean? What does one do? Is it simpler just to put the percentage and risk letting them think you're a bit odd for not putting the standard mark rating system? Or better to convert it and if it comes up to explain in the interview?

Thanks all for any help

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SPB)
    x
    Hi,

If I were in your position I would include the class of your degree, along with the percentage. (You could then clarify the conversion system at interviews)

ReputationRep:
    UK NARIC can compare your degree to UK equivalent but that actually costs about 50 pounds and you get done it within 2 weeks but don't forget that if it's in African language, you'll also need to translate it into English.

Where did you found about conversion? I need to do that as well, found somewhere that I got 2:1 but don't want to risk putting as 2:1

ReputationRep:
    I'm not sure it would be a good idea to perform this conversion yourself - it may be the case that marks are harder or easier to obtain in South Africa compared to the UK and so your percentage mark may not necessarily be equivalent. I think even in the UK, the Open University (which does distance-learning courses) uses a different method to calculate classifications compared to other universities.

Your best bet is to use some kind of official source to convert your classification.

ReputationRep:
    Thanks for the responses everyone. I've decided to contact NARIC just to see what they can do for me to make it legitimate. I agree that converting it myself probably isn't a good idea and I didn't want to do that. I'm pretty confident the uni I attended is at the very least on par with some of the better uni's in England so hopefully my degree is equivalent and works out to be the same. If not, I will most likely have to immigrate which I wasn't planning to do for a good few years.

If anyone else has any experience or suggestions I'd be grateful! Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ForgetMe)
    UK NARIC can compare your degree to UK equivalent but that actually costs about 50 pounds and you get done it within 2 weeks but don't forget that if it's in African language, you'll also need to translate it into English.

Where did you found about conversion? I need to do that as well, found somewhere that I got 2:1 but don't want to risk putting as 2:1
    lol in South Africa English is the main language of instruction. As well as Afrikaans but not on as great a scale.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Calllu-m)
    lol in South Africa English is the main language of instruction. As well as Afrikaans but not on as great a scale.
    Okay.. I get it, daddy :teehee:

ReputationRep:
    Update. Spoke to a recruiter for an international company. Advised me to just put my percentages down and considering my grade + the reputation of the uni I'll be fine.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Would you like to hibernate through the winter months?
    Useful resources

Articles and guides:

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A-Z of careers Advice on choosing a careerCV writing helpCovering letter helpInterview tips

Featured recruiter profiles:

CGI logo

CGI is open for applications

"Offering a range of apprentice and sponsored degree positions."

Deutsche Bank logo

Deutsche Bank is recruiting

"Thrive in an international banking environment"

ICAEW logo

Merck

"Merck is a global leader in specialized pharma & chemicals – join us!"

Army logo

The Army is recruiting now

"With hundreds of roles available, there’s more than one way to be the best."

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Quick links:

Unanswered career sector and employment threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.