Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How to network for a job after graduation for a foreign national who wants to stay Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi guys (and girls),

I'm an American who will be likely studying for my Masters at the University of Glasgow (MSc Political Communication). I am interested in staying in the UK after my studies are complete. I am a bit older than many of you I think...I have 12 years corporate technology experience and 2 years working in politics/government.

What I want to ask is how would you recommend meeting with, networking with, volunteering for NGOs/government in Scotland (and in England)? I will have one year not only to obviously complete my studies but make every second count when it comes to finding and meeting with potential employers.

Obviously its going to be easier to do all of this with organizations in or near Glasgow.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    I'm not sure what you are looking for with your query, so I may be missing the point. HMG jobs are advertised on an open and fair competition basis so networking won't help you get a government job. There are also strict rules on nationality, so you may or may not be eligible, and I don't think many departments sponsor for VISAs.

In terms of NGOs I suspect there may be more opportunity to network - and there certainly will be for volunteering - so try making contact with your local volunteer bureau. Doing voluntary work, however, won't give you the right to remain once your VISA is up.

As an aside, I would also check the VISA position more generally. I suspect you will need to leave the country to apply to obtain leave to enter, remain, and work - and there is a risk you won't be given leave. It is probably worth looking at the criteria and seeing if you think you will get it.

Hope this helps.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Have you ever participated in a Secret Santa?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.