Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free
x Turn on thread page Beta

Hi everyone,

I really want some advice on whether or not I should appeal to the medical decision to reject me. I am an international foundation student studying at the University of Cardiff. The application process is a little different for International foundation students. The medical school have saved some seats for us. Me and four other candidates have received interviews and they were done in March. The requirements were 60% in all subject and 65% in half. I have achieved an average of a 1st in the Autumn semester. I checked on UCAS and I found out i was the only person out of 4 who got rejected. I was furious for 2 reasons:

1) One of the applicants who got the place had poor grades. She failed a subject achieving a grade of 55 which is BELOW their requirements.

2) in the interview, I told them that I head of academics in my highschool and that i had to organize many classes for SEVERAL grades as well as teach some one them. It also came to the subject of my father being very ill very often and that i felt like it was my duty as well as my mums to keep everything together and take care of him and the house. I was FURIOUS when I got the feedback from the interview and they told me i was not responsible

I really do want to appeal to the decision because i believe it is not fair. They told me i was responsible in the interview however they told me otherwise in the feedback. How can a girl that did not meet the requirements get a place. I have worked so hard for this and it's heartbreaking to be so close to living my dream. It's extremely hard to get an interview for international students as there aren't many places.

I will not stop trying! whatever it takes i will get into med school one day. But for now, I want to appeal to this decision. Is there any advice you can give me? Thank you for your time. I am so grateful

Maybe you could ask them to elaborate on their feedback? Because you strongly feel that you did nothing wrong so maybe if you ask them what you did wrong you can gain more insight and see whether its worth to appeal?

Posted from TSR Mobile

if youve got to the interview and then rejected then it was simply your interview that let you down. The other person is irrelevant, she might have had extenuating circumstances, or maybe they loved her interview so much that they didnt care about the lower grades, theyre not obliged to have strict grade requirements, only the 'standard' or 'usual' offer.

An appeal with most likely not do a thing as they have clearly thought your interview wasnt satisfactory and an appeal wont change that, the appeal also will have nothing to do with the other girl who got in. Just reapply next year to places where you have the best chance of being accepted to, good luck

Unis tend not to look at grades past the interview. At the end of the day interviews are subjective and if they decide they don't like your personality they will reject you even if your grades are perfect.

Remember there are no legal requirements for the University to uphold a certain requirement, and the small print may even allow them to negate one requirement if they're sufficiently happy with others (i.e. interview performance, entrance exams etc) even if they missed out on the grade. As has already been mentioned, the other person may have extenuating circumstances surrounding their grades and have made up for it elsewhere in their application.

I'd focus less on other people being successful, and more on why you were not. If you got an interview, your grades were not the issue. It is almost certainly your performance at interview which has cost you a place.

Keep up the hard work and try again, I wouldn't recommend an appeal
Have you ever experienced racism/sexism at uni?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.