Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

How much do tattoos cost? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I am thinking of getting a tattoo on my right arm of a tiger's head with no colour just the black ink and was just wondering generally how much would it cost me? I guess there is some detail in my choice like the stripes and nose and whiskers and stuff though i supsect it won't cost me an arm and a leg. The size I do not want it small but not huge neither. I have a rough idea in my head what it could cost me but I want to know other people's views on this. Thanks.

ReputationRep:
    I've got 6 tattoos varying from about 2x2 inches to a full sleeve. Most tattooists charge by the hour. In the uk this could be anywhere from 60-140 an hour. I would stress to not let price dictate what you get done, how big or small you get it and by who you get it done. I've known lots of my friends going to 'cheap' tattooists and ending up with something they hate which they've then gone onto have covered up. Research tattoo artists and find someone who's style you like and who's work you think looks technically good. Most tattooists can give a rough estimation of how long a tattoo will take but it depends on shading, colours, amount of detail, etc. Hope this helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by St Tezza)
    Hello, I am thinking of getting a tattoo on my right arm of a tiger's head with no colour just the black ink and was just wondering generally how much would it cost me? I guess there is some detail in my choice like the stripes and nose and whiskers and stuff though i supsect it won't cost me an arm and a leg. The size I do not want it small but not huge neither. I have a rough idea in my head what it could cost me but I want to know other people's views on this. Thanks.
    The best way to find out is to look online for the studios in the area you live in, have a look through artist portfolios and pick an artist you like, print off some reference material and give the shop a call asking if you can come in for a consult/quick chat about a tattoo.

Tattooists aren't scary and honestly happy to talk about ideas... Don't forget, this is their job, so they will have good ideas about the tattoo, ways to improve it etc.

In terms of an actual price, it's really hard to say mate, it's artist dependent. If I took a stab in the dark I'd maybe imagine, if you're in London, potentially up to 150, but that's really ballpark buddy, and my friends studios aren't cheap (£100/hour)

If you tell me roughly where you're from I can probably reccomend some tattooists, if you're in england that is (and not from the south west, I don't know many artists down that way)

ReputationRep:
    I havent got any but my boyfriend has a fair few he recently got one on his ribcage for about 300£ but that was just script and he's getting a full sleeve done in black ink no colour which he said be about £800/1000£!

ReputationRep:
    Don't do it! Beards are in now, but people with beards will have their kids laughing at them in old photos in ten years' time. You've probably laughed at pictures of your dad in flares. Think about it. Tatts are fashionable now, but they'll surely go out of fashion. Things always do. Also, if you are 20 years old, you'll be a very diferent person when you're 40. Will your 40-year-old self like the tatt you have done now?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Cizen)
    Don't do it! Beards are in now, but people with beards will have their kids laughing at them in old photos in ten years' time. You've probably laughed at pictures of your dad in flares. Think about it. Tatts are fashionable now, but they'll surely go out of fashion. Things always do. Also, if you are 20 years old, you'll be a very diferent person when you're 40. Will your 40-year-old self like the tatt you have done now?
    This thread is over 4 years old. They've probably made their mind up by now

ReputationRep:
    Any idea about good artists in Cambridge?

ReputationRep:
    There are many, many reasons why two very similar-looking tattoos can be priced so differently to each other. A lot of the reasons are obvious, but there are also many obscure reasons as to why some tattoos are more expensive than others. Below are some of the main factors involved in the process of deciding how much a tattoo is going to cost.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.