Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I have been writing a comparison essay for my a-levels, but am not writing enough about form and structure. What are some things I could think about within those topics!?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    What genres are these for?

ReputationRep:
    How do you mean?

ReputationRep:
    Hi there. It is very easy to forget about form and structure in an AO2 essay - at least for me! What kind of text are you studying at the moment? Is it a novel, play or poem?
    For structure, you'd want to look at how the text is organised and put together, and how individual sections are structured - either a scene from a play, a section of a novel or selected stanzas of a poem. You could also look at how individual sections link to other sections within the text. For example, while studying Twelfth Night for my coursework, we looked at how Shakespeare interweaves various plot lines in order for the story to come together. If you're studying The Great Gatsby, it is a brilliant novel for interweaving plot lines!
    I'm afraid I can't really help much with form as it isn't my strong point, but I hope that this is in some way helpful to you! Good luck!

ReputationRep:
    what texts are you doing? and is it aqa english lit b? cos if it is i could help you

ReputationRep:
    What are you studying? /Books/exam board

USING THE TSR APP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Olympiad)
    What are you studying? /Books/exam board

USING THE TSR APP
    The two texts I'm studying are a play (Top Girls) and a novel (The handmaids tale). The exam board is AQA!

My question is Compare how Atwood and Churchill portray motherhood...

ReputationRep:
    Hi I know this is a little off topic but can someone please help me.
    I don't understand what is meant by shape the meaning =, everyone tells me to do it in an essay but exactly is it!!
    I would really appreciate some help.
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nyrhtak)
    I don't understand what is meant by shape the meaning =, everyone tells me to do it in an essay but exactly is it!!
    Thanks
    I would ask your teacher - if anyone knows, they do!
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    (Original post by kwatkins2)
    The two texts I'm studying are a play (Top Girls) and a novel (The handmaids tale). The exam board is AQA!

My question is Compare how Atwood and Churchill portray motherhood...
    When I asked you the theme, 'motherhood' would be that.

But sorry, I haven't studied those texts
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    Study Helper
    Thanks
    I'm guessing you mean how the author/writer shapes meaning?

This would refer back to how the writer shapes meaning through language, form and structure. So basically language of a poem like metaphors, similes and etc. Form is the layout or what type of poem is it: is it a haiku, quatrain etc. The structure is similar to form, but focuses more on the HOW it's formed. So using stanzas, metrical lines etc and how the poem has been organised. So maybe you'd write about enjambment and how this contributes to the tone, pace of the poem.

Hope I've given you a useful example

ReputationRep:
    Thanks
    Basically, it's asking you what effect a technique used has on the meaning of th text (or how it can be interpreted by the audience). Which actually links quite well with structure!

One of the main things you can talk about for structure is comparisons and contrasts. If you look at two chapters, you might see that they both address different things. Does this mean anything? Well, maybe not but you can usually drag some analysis out of something. For example, if one chapter is very energetic and the next is quite slow paced you could say that it reflects the two extremes of whatever it is you are looking at (eg. Motherhood). I haven't read the texts so I can't give detailed help, but this is usually a good place to start.

As for form, you can usually access it more easily through your discussion of structure and language. Eg. How does the language used emphasise the dystopian/feminist themes. What message is the author trying to give by this?

Feel free to ask if you need any clarification, I'll try to get back to you when I have spare time.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know much about Top Girls but discussing its play form is the simplest way to get that in. In The Handmaid's Tale I would say the obvious form/structure points are the flashbacks or memories of the way the world was before the regime, and how they link to and propel the narrative as a whole - it's just finding ways to relate that to your question!
    Hope this helps

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Has a teacher ever helped you cheat?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

OMAM

Ultimate Of Mice And Men Thread

Plot, context, character analysis and everything in between.

Notes

Revision Hub

All our revision materials in one place

Love books

Common grammar and vocabulary problems

Get your questions asked and answered

Useful literary websitesStudy help rules and posting guidelines

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
    Hide
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.